My 17 year old wants to have driving lessons in UK over summer | ExpatWoman.com

My 17 year old wants to have driving lessons in UK over summer

Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 17:38

Can he apply for a provisional licence if he doesn’t live in the UK but holds a British Passport? We go back to the UK every Summer. Would prefer him to have lessons there.

Latest post on 06 March 2015 - 08:41
If you go onto www.gov.uk driving licences it tells you there You must provide 3 years address history in the UK and your passport as ID ( or other photographic ID) of you apply online they check with DWP and HMRC UAE visa and passport would prove that you don't reside in UK :-(
Latest post on 06 March 2015 - 00:31
A non UK resident does not qualify for a provisional licence If you pretend and use a UK address and he has a bump all insurance is null and void Even in an instructor's vehicle ? Yes, because even the instructor's insurance would only cover LEGAL drivers, just the same as any insurance. And someone driving on a UK provisional that doesn't live on the UK is driving illegally. :(
Latest post on 06 March 2015 - 00:06
A non UK resident does not qualify for a provisional licence If you pretend and use a UK address and he has a bump all insurance is null and void Even in an instructor's vehicle ?
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 20:43
A non UK resident does not qualify for a provisional licence If you pretend and use a UK address and he has a bump all insurance is null and void
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 18:15
Use their UAE licence or get an International licence..If he still has a UK address and you want to pretend he still lives there he can get a provisional licence and take his lessons..but technically it wouldn't be legal...
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 18:13
I am sure someone will come on with a definite answer for you but I wouldn't have thought your son would be able to take lessons on his provisional licence. The reason being that even if you have a full UK licence you are not allowed to drive on it in the UK if you are not residing in the UK, so I should think a provisional would be the same... sorry! :( So if a British expat with a full UK driving licence went back to the UK, what would they need to do to be eligible to drive? If they were there on holiday they would have to drive on their UAE one.
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 18:04
I am sure someone will come on with a definite answer for you but I wouldn't have thought your son would be able to take lessons on his provisional licence. The reason being that even if you have a full UK licence you are not allowed to drive on it in the UK if you are not residing in the UK, so I should think a provisional would be the same... sorry! :( So if a British expat with a full UK driving licence went back to the UK, what would they need to do to be eligible to drive?
Latest post on 05 March 2015 - 17:45
I am sure someone will come on with a definite answer for you but I wouldn't have thought your son would be able to take lessons on his provisional licence. The reason being that even if you have a full UK licence you are not allowed to drive on it in the UK if you are not residing in the UK, so I should think a provisional would be the same... sorry! :(

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY