Flying with children | ExpatWoman.com

Flying with children

Latest post on 13 March 2015 - 17:15

Hi all!
We now have a moving date to AD of 21st April and I am both very excited but very nervous!!

Myself and my husband will be flying over from the UK with our very active 20 month old son. I am terrified of flying myself so the thought of flying with a little one is not filling me with joy!! I just wondered if anyone has any tricks for occupying their little ones on the flights? He isn’t interested in watching TV or films so that’s out and just likes wandering around.. but there isn’t far you can wander on an aeroplane!!

I have seen that Etihad had sky nannies – has anyone had any experience with them? I appreciate that they will be there to entertain lots of kids, not just mine for the whole time but I’m hoping that will at least occupy for some of the flight.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Latest post on 31 March 2015 - 22:26
airlines do allow seats but they have to be approved airline ones etc of a standard etc so nope not all will be accommodating.
Latest post on 31 March 2015 - 22:08
I don't have kids but this might help? http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_families_flying_with_kids_9016.aspx I know my in-laws bought my niece a personal CD player with headphones... But she's 3? Before then I think my sis-in-law made exciting plane packs that my niece was only allowed when they boarded with her favourite things in. Sorry I can't be of much more help!
Latest post on 31 March 2015 - 16:07
Have you booked seats for the children? If not, I'd definitely look into it. We took our son to Dubai on holiday when he was 8 months and he travelled in his car seat strapped into a seat. It's so much better than having him/her on your lap for 6-8 hours, gives you more space and also means you've got the car seat unpacked and to hand at the other end (though getting on and off the plane is a bit of a palavar). You'll need to check the latest legislation (and probably print a copy off as they didn't know what to say to us the first time at the airport and it doesn't fit through the scanner) as we flew to Jersey last weekend and the stewardess wouldn't let DS sit in his booster seat, though I know Etihad and Emirates have allowed this in the past.
Latest post on 31 March 2015 - 13:56
the orange aproaned nannies are just cabin crew... they may help you if they arent busy but normally they are and there are always plenty of babies and children on board...!
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 12:46
You guys' conversation makes me excited! lol Enjoy your flight and the new life in AD!
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 01:00
Sunshine2015, haha, that would be brilliant!! Let me know how you get on with the flight. Are you on countdown now??? Not long!!! How excited are you? And how many lists off stuff to do, do you have?? Hahaha Xxx
Latest post on 23 March 2015 - 21:39
It's a shame we aren't on the same flight Doris83 we could of had a crèche at the back of the plane ;)
Latest post on 23 March 2015 - 14:28
Hi All, I too have found these tips very useful as we will be flying out to AD on the 24th April with 9 month old twins. Thankfully my husband is flying home to come and get me so I don't have to do it on my own. We have opted for a night flight hoping that this will be better for the children and we also hoped there would be assistance of the onboard nanny to help. Thanks for the ear popping tip, will give that a try! For both them and me! Haha. Hope to meet you all soon and good luck with your new adventures xxx
Latest post on 18 March 2015 - 00:33
Hi, thank you so much for your replies! Any bit of advice helps greatly. Oh wow Jojomom, are you from Japan originally ? Your English is perfect I would never have guessed it's your second language! And yes hopefully we shall meet! Xx
Latest post on 17 March 2015 - 01:08
Hi I can't help with entertaining kids on a plane, but I have done medical evacs with very tiny kids. One thing I learned is to give them something to suck on (pacifier or bottle) on takeoff so that their ears pop and don't hurt them so much. Same on landing. Hope that helps.
Latest post on 15 March 2015 - 19:54
Hi there Sunshine2015! We are currently living in Japan but there is a very high possibility that we are moving to AD in a few months, so I understand how you feel. Also, we have a 23 months old son:) We have had international flights with our son 4 times now. It is not easy to fly with an active boy but you can get through with it ok I am sure! Just a couple weeks ago, we visited AD using Etihad so I wanted to share my experiences. I'd say do not expect that your flight has nannies. I knew they had flying nannies service but crews just treated us normally. No one told me that there was a nanny. However, they provide kids a packet of entertainment (activity book, color pencils and stickers) which I haven't experienced from other companies before. It was good. Generally, I thought the crews are very well mannered and friendly. Here are some of the things what we always do before flight; 1. Buy some new toys/books (hide them until you get on the plane) 2. Download some of my son's favorite cartoon shows and movies to a tablet pc (I guarantee it's worth buying if you don't have one - you can use it at so many places) 3. Wake him up earlier on the day of the flight 4. Let him play in the play area in the airport until he gets tired (so that he has a longer nap on the plane) I hear some parents give their kids medicine to make them sleep but I am not so keen on that. I hope you find this helpful. Please let me know if there is anything else you want to ask. I assume your flight duration is about 8 hours. I am sure the time will go much quicker than you think. Have a great flight and enjoy the new life in AD:) We might get to meet somewhere over there! ;) (Sorry about my English :-/ It's my second language..)