Vitamin D for babies | ExpatWoman.com

Vitamin D for babies

Latest post on 19 March 2015 - 22:21

A pediatrician at the hospital where I delivered my DD prescribed us Vitamin D @400 units for 3 months. Now I am seeing a different pediatrician for a routine checkups and vaccinations, and he prescribed us another brand of Vit D @800 units for 6 months.
I am little confused and don't feel like bothering him over the phone for such a question and will rather wait until our next visit, but very curious now about how this is done here in Dubai (dosage and duration in home country is totally different):
Which Vitamin D brand do you use for your babies (I am talking about babies up to 6 months)?
And what dosage and for how long?

My friend from Russia said they give 1200 units 12 months except for summer months - this is just for info.

Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 16:15
Suggest childlife baby vitamin D One of the more trusted and popular brand...
Latest post on 22 March 2015 - 19:37
I have found this thread quite useful as there are some recommendation on where to get good baby products by reading user reviews... hope it helps http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic227671-baby-products-forum13.aspx <em>edited by Edge07 on 22/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 21 March 2015 - 16:18
My understanding is that if you are formula feeding then any extra vitamins are not necessary. If the mother is breastfeeding and she is vit d deficient as most people living here are (not a lot of people sit in the sun) then you should give a supplement.
Latest post on 20 March 2015 - 11:51
There is an obsession with Vit D here! I'm not surprised you are confused. I don't have anything concrete to offer, except that, all the doctors I've visited here prescribe it for my LO. I've never given her any. I asked my Dr in Australia and she said that it wasn't necessary as the latest research suggests that a lack of Vitamin D is most likely a caused by some other condition, rather than being a problem in itself. Anyhoo - it probably won't hurt to give some type of supplement. Just follow the advice of the Dr you trust. Explain your confusion at your next visit and have them explain it to you.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY