Landlords obligations? | ExpatWoman.com

Landlords obligations?

Latest post on 28 March 2015 - 07:41

Just a quick query as to what the landlord is obliged to do for us in way of house maintenance.
On our contract it says anything over Dhs 1000 he will pay for but so far he hasn't reimbursed a penny. We had a back door that didn't work when we moved in. The lock had been broken and we had 3 people give us quotes - cheapest Dhs 1750. We paid this and were expecting a reimbursement through the letting agent as agreed. It never came then the lady we were dealing with left and no one else seemed to even be able to find a record of the landlord agreeing to this. We had to have a new water heater same scenario _ all agreed but no reimbursement.
Now the toilet cistern has broken. It has been masticked up so much there is hardly any original porcelain and it really need replacing. This cistern is now obsolete so the new loo and cistern is quoted as being Dhs 1250. We have emailed the landlord direct last week and asked him if he will pay for this as we are still owed for the other bits from over a year ago. He hasn't replied. The agents are now saying they can't help as he hasn't left them any money to use for reimbursement.
Seems like our hand are tied as we obviously need the toilet and we needed a working water heater and a back door that actually opens.
Do we just pay for it and know we have lost out? Do we take all this with us when we go so the next tenants have to go through the same? Just makes me sad as we rent out 2 properties in the Uk and we pay for all maintenance without question - seems so unfair!

Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 10:11
Thank you ladies. Unfortunately he is a completely absent Landlord. He lives in Florida and apparently has not been to Dubai for 3 years. The chances of a face to face are very unlikely - unless we take a holiday. I think we need to go to RERA. I was actually worried about doing this as I thought it would cause an eviction but now I see he has to have specific reasons to evict. I think he would think twice about that if he knows we have already dealt with RERA. Well, if he lives away that might very well strengthen your case, as he wont want his property left empty and him having to pay the mortgage at any point. Have you already paid for your rent upfront for the year?! If not, I would send him a stern email telling him if he does not reply to your emails and reimburse you, you will cancel a cheque at your end as he simply isn't fulfilling his side of the contract, so why should you. I would threaten him with saying you will happily cancel it and leave the property immediately as you are sick of being out of pocket... (you obviously wont cancel the cheque or leave but I would try calling his bluff). The last thing he will want is an empty property!
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 08:19
Thank you ladies. Unfortunately he is a completely absent Landlord. He lives in Florida and apparently has not been to Dubai for 3 years. The chances of a face to face are very unlikely - unless we take a holiday. I think we need to go to RERA. I was actually worried about doing this as I thought it would cause an eviction but now I see he has to have specific reasons to evict. I think he would think twice about that if he knows we have already dealt with RERA.
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 12:01
Just a quick query as to what the landlord is obliged to do for us in way of house maintenance. On our contract it says anything over Dhs 1000 he will pay for but so far he hasn't reimbursed a penny. We had a back door that didn't work when we moved in. The lock had been broken and we had 3 people give us quotes - cheapest Dhs 1750. We paid this and were expecting a reimbursement through the letting agent as agreed. It never came then the lady we were dealing with left and no one else seemed to even be able to find a record of the landlord agreeing to this. We had to have a new water heater same scenario _ all agreed but no reimbursement. Now the toilet cistern has broken. It has been masticked up so much there is hardly any original porcelain and it really need replacing. This cistern is now obsolete so the new loo and cistern is quoted as being Dhs 1250. We have emailed the landlord direct last week and asked him if he will pay for this as we are still owed for the other bits from over a year ago. He hasn't replied. The agents are now saying they can't help as he hasn't left them any money to use for reimbursement. Seems like our hand are tied as we obviously need the toilet and we needed a working water heater and a back door that actually opens. Do we just pay for it and know we have lost out? Do we take all this with us when we go so the next tenants have to go through the same? Just makes me sad as we rent out 2 properties in the Uk and we pay for all maintenance without question - seems so unfair! Take a look at Article 16 -- https://www.dubailand.gov.ae/English/rules/realestatelegislation#/116 The thing is aswell, its actually illegal for the Landlords to put the clauses into the contract in the first instance, especially without agreeing the sum with the tenant, which they don't do, they just put the clause in and will not draw your attention to it. I have to say 1000aed is really high, ours is 500aed, which makes me angry enough knowing it shouldn't even be there in the first place. Same as us, we pay for everything no questions asked in our property in the UK, its not fair. I don't think you will get anything from the owner unfortunately, but one thing you could do is if you are going to renew, make sure you tell the agency you want to meet him face to face when signing and mention all of the stuff to him and give him receipts for it, have him sign to say he has received them and tell him your unhappy with it all. Even negotiate the price off the renewal and see what he says! He wont reply to your emails no way, not if it is asking for money!
Latest post on 28 March 2015 - 11:27
Hi we had the same issue a while ago, Rera told us that must be a clause in your contract that states up to how much the landlord is suppose to pay for maintenance or at least his duties regarding the maintenance, we had it in our contract so Rera quickly sorted it our for us, have a look in your contract, otherwise I would suggest that you contact Rera they will be able to help you. Good luck

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY