Tenancy vacating letter advice | ExpatWoman.com

Tenancy vacating letter advice

Latest post on 28 March 2015 - 17:20

Just seeking some clarification about being served a vacating letter by a landlord.
My tenancy contract is July 12th 2014-July to July 11th 2015.
My landlord sold my apartment during my tenancy. He served me a vacating letter notifying me of the necessity of vacating my apartment atfter the end of twelve months from the date of receipt of the registered letter (9/9/2014). As there was going to be a new landlord I assumed this letter was part of the process and I signed it.
My new landlord now wants to sell on too and is asking me to be out of the premises by the end of my contract (July 11th 2015). However, I am aware that legally I have up until 9/9/2015 as per the vacating letter. But my question is should the new landlord have served me a vacating letter in addition to the previous owner or does the old vacating remain valid?
Any advice much appreciated.
Thank you!

Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 11:37
The new landlord has to issue you a new eviction letter unless he has a Power of Attorney for the previous eviction letter. This is not likely if he hasn't mentioned it. The POA has to be attested by the courts and can only be for the property you are in. The eviction notice should be notarised and delivered to you by courier/registered post. Please call 800 4488 for clarification though, this is the rental dispute centre number. edited by Ladybirdsarethebest on 29/03/2015 Mine was notarized etc and they have an Aramex desk at the municiplity who arrange the delivery. They don't call to ask when is suitable to bring the letter to you they just knock at your door and if you aren't there they tape it to the door. I came home to find it and was alarmed as all my personal information was there for the world to see plus it says eviction notice on the top of the letter . No envelope etc. When I called the number they said that this is policy and how they do it :-( it was stamped by the courts etc That's awful! Well, they are liars as they called my husband to tell him they had a delivery off the court (we knew what it was) and they delivered to his work. Another example of them just doing whatever they want I guess :angry:
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 11:34
Just seeking some clarification about being served a vacating letter by a landlord. My tenancy contract is July 12th 2014-July to July 11th 2015. My landlord sold my apartment during my tenancy. He served me a vacating letter notifying me of the necessity of vacating my apartment atfter the end of twelve months from the date of receipt of the registered letter (9/9/2014). As there was going to be a new landlord I assumed this letter was part of the process and I signed it. My new landlord now wants to sell on too and is asking me to be out of the premises by the end of my contract (July 11th 2015). However, I am aware that legally I have up until 9/9/2015 as per the vacating letter. But my question is should the new landlord have served me a vacating letter in addition to the previous owner or does the old vacating remain valid? Any advice much appreciated. Thank you! Take a look at this... the Dubai Real Estate Legislation https://www.dubailand.gov.ae/English/rules/realestatelegislation#/0 --- Page 116, Article 28. This was the closest I could find to your situation for eviction cases. I think yours is a tricky one. Like another poster has said though, the new owner has to give you an eviction notice as well and they have not by the sound of it...?! I would go and speak to the Land Department but they are a complete nightmare and dont even know the law themselves! You speak to one person who tells you one thing, and the person next to them can tell you the opposite. Its no wonder no one ever knows where they stand when it comes to landlord/tenant issues! Good luck! Im also curious to know how it works out so let us know :cool:
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 09:50
The new landlord has to issue you a new eviction letter unless he has a Power of Attorney for the previous eviction letter. This is not likely if he hasn't mentioned it. The POA has to be attested by the courts and can only be for the property you are in. The eviction notice should be notarised and delivered to you by courier/registered post. Please call 800 4488 for clarification though, this is the rental dispute centre number. edited by Ladybirdsarethebest on 29/03/2015 Mine was notarized etc and they have an Aramex desk at the municiplity who arrange the delivery. They don't call to ask when is suitable to bring the letter to you they just knock at your door and if you aren't there they tape it to the door. I came home to find it and was alarmed as all my personal information was there for the world to see plus it says eviction notice on the top of the letter . No envelope etc. When I called the number they said that this is policy and how they do it :-( it was stamped by the courts etc
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 09:49
This is what I was told by an agent who had just finished her RERA exam. Eviction notice must now be issued only through Notary Public and delivered by the court.
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 09:41
The new landlord has to issue you a new eviction letter unless he has a Power of Attorney for the previous eviction letter. This is not likely if he hasn't mentioned it. The POA has to be attested by the courts and can only be for the property you are in. The eviction notice should be notarised and delivered to you by courier/registered post. Please call 800 4488 for clarification though, this is the rental dispute centre number. <em>edited by Ladybirdsarethebest on 29/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 28 March 2015 - 22:04
Complicated, I think you may need to get advice from the rent committee, was the original vacating letter official and notarised by the Dubai courts? I think they need to be. Please update us, I would certainly be keen to hear the outcome.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY