Divorce/Separation - Abusive Husband | ExpatWoman.com

Divorce/Separation - Abusive Husband

Latest post on 28 March 2015 - 18:39

Hi Ladies,

I am a British woman, I am looking for divorce/separation advice.

My husband has been physically and mentally abusive for quite some time.

I am looking for a Lawyer that will offer free consultation. I know he wants to separate and i know he is not willing to help me financially for anything. Obviously i can't give too many details with it being an open forum.

I know i need to leave, but its so difficult. we do not have any children together so that is one less thing to worry about.

Everything is in his name and he has all the money (therefore all the power??)

But how can i go with no money?

As silly as it sounds i really wanted to fix our marriage. We were meant to be working through our problems and going to therapy, but i guess thats off the cards now after this weekend. He is not interested in making it work. So as you can imagine, lots of emotions right now. But i need to make sure i know what my rights are.

Please help, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Latest post on 02 April 2019 - 22:08
Do you need short / long term loans at a relatively low interest rate? We offer real financial loans to individuals and businesses. Now available investment loans, personal loans, mortgage loans, building loans, business loans. This is an opportunity for those wishing to apply for a loan and to spend a grace period of three months before starting the monthly payment. Contact us at: [email protected] We are waiting for your urgent response , God willing
Latest post on 30 March 2019 - 15:00
I know im like 3 years late but i accidentally came across the post just now and wanted to see if all went well and you're ok and found the help needed?
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 16:33
Did you get married in the UAE? Do you have any proof of abuse? If so, you have the upper hand right there. If you present the police report (obtained at any government hospital once they check your body for bruises and other evidence of violence) you have the right to open a case against him and have him thrown in jail immediately! I'm guessing that will definately = loss of power for him.. Nope, you might be wrong dear. Plus without the full picture, running to the courts might not be the best. From my experience so many factors come to play here, prenups, culture difference, ( if any), marriage laws. From what she has said, best advice will be to leave the marriage diplomatically. She may have all to lose or win,( she knows best her situation)
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 15:33
Somebody in the embassy or maybe here on the forum should know if UK has a repatriation loan or assistance, a lot of places do.
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 15:32
I'm sorry but without knowing more details I wouldn't be so quick to run to the police or the courts here! If you have documented abuse but are still in the same household.... If your spouse is from a culture that "permits" abuse... All these factors come into play here. If you have "no funds" it tells me he is controlling finances as well, and may have estranged you from your family. If you can, please contact your embassy, get on a flight, and sort it while you are away from this man.
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 14:35
Did you get married in the UAE? Do you have any proof of abuse? If so, you have the upper hand right there. If you present the police report (obtained at any government hospital once they check your body for bruises and other evidence of violence) you have the right to open a case against him and have him thrown in jail immediately! I'm guessing that will definately = loss of power for him..
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 11:52
The radio channel Dubai Eye ( "I"?) has a legal questions and answer programme - I think on Sundays about mid day where people send in questions and the lawyer - a lady Jamana Yamalava (?). answers them. Sorry don't know her exact name. You could try that.
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 11:10
Did/Does your Husband give you an allowance at all? If so, I would be stashing money away until you can sort your divorce out.
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 10:22
Go back to the UK and start a new life. I guess it's easier said than done without any funds. At least it's an option. Some of the groups can help and maybe the OP can sell some stuff or get some cash together, or contact a family member to help. There are some cheap flights with lots of stops if you search. But the Embassy may be able to help with this as well. Hoepfully she can just get out of a horrible situation and seek some advice. She can also call the police on him if he is physically abusive, the groups maybe able to give more advice on this.
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 10:14
Go back to the UK and start a new life.
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 09:28
Thanks everyone, I have contacted them all. Hopefully getting somewhere now. Fingers crossed.
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 09:21
Please speak to a lawyer, the British embassy may be able to put you through to one that will give free advice at the first session. I would avoid the courts here unless you were married here...you should be able to apply for a divorce from the UK.
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 08:40
http://www.facebook.com/LeavesDubai?fref=ts
Latest post on 28 March 2015 - 21:11
There is a FB page Leaves Dubai. Search for that. The Leaves Dubai group meets monthly and they often host lawyers, local and from the UK, who give free advice.
Latest post on 28 March 2015 - 21:05
Thank you Nomad i will search for that now
Latest post on 28 March 2015 - 19:43
So very sorry you are in this situation. A lot depends on where you were married, how you were married etc. In a recent thread ( please do a search re marriage and divorce on the forum ) someone advised a trip to the courts for counselling/ mediation services and that the wife's rights are strongly protected. Please don't sign anything or agree to anything until you have had sound legal advice. Take care of yourself, never stop believing in yourself. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Latest post on 28 March 2015 - 19:03
Thank you Lally, i really appreciate it. I will give them a try.
Latest post on 28 March 2015 - 18:52
I am so sorry to hear this and although I don't have any personal experience, I believe this organization did help another lady on this forum. http://bcaf.ae/ They are called The British Community Assistance Fund. I hope you can find the help you need. <em>edited by Lally on 28/03/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY