Buttercream icing without a KitchenAid | ExpatWoman.com

Buttercream icing without a KitchenAid

Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 15:18

Has anyone tried to make buttercream/cheesecream icing with a manually blender? Unfortunately I don't have a KitchenAid (yet … he he he)
Many thanks, TB

Latest post on 02 April 2015 - 11:42
Thank you Apricot!!! Wow, you sound like you have been doing this for quite some time so I might need to come back with some more questions ;) Unfortunately all I have is a non-electric mixer, so I might have to wait until my birthday or Christmas for that KitchenAid/Kenwood. Could I ask why you recommend the Kenwood vs the KitchenAid?
Latest post on 29 March 2015 - 22:46
I spent my youth making all kinds of icings using hand-held electric beaters (called "hand mixers" in the UK). They are just as effective as a stand-mixer (for which I recommend a Kenwood over a Kitchen Aid). You can steady the bowl with a damp kitchen towel or sponge cloth. A great tip to contain the "spattering mess" particularly common with icings made from icing sugar is to cover the bowl with a damp kitchen towel right before starting the beating process, for the first 10-30 seconds of mixing. I would not use an old-fashioned (manual, non-electric) egg beater to make buttercream icing. I tried it as a kid and the resulting icing was terrible as the butter never aerated nor mixed effectively with the sugar.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY