In need of some advice… | ExpatWoman.com

In need of some advice…

Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 11:51

Good morning Ladies,

I need some advice please.

I have been in Dubai over 2 years now and i am on my own. In the last year i haven't found it that easy, i am very unhappy at work and not in a great financial position either. I keep looking for a new job and not having any luck (over 1 year now).

My question is, when do you say enough is enough? When shall you make that decision and return back to UK? I absolutely LOVE living here and i cant imagine to leave but on the other hand i feel that if i continue to be this unhappy at work and i don't find another job, am i just wasting my time trying and not achieve anything???

I would appreciate anyone can share their thoughts, opinions or if they have been through the same!!!

Thank you so much :)

Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 15:16
GeordieBird, You hit the nail on the head, off course am not ready to go. As i said previously, i love it here hence why i moved in the first place. Am not ready to throw it all in because i want to enjoy my time here, which unfortunately i haven't so far. God, i have tried every avenue there is in terms of finding a new job, i think its just my luck. [b'> I find Dubai works more in connections and i don't have a lot either. [/b'> I agree i think the work has put me down in terms of confidence whether that is personally or professionally. Thank you for taking your time to send me your thoughts, much appreciated. Dubai (along with any other city) does work in connections in some roles and some sectors but not all. If you were in sales or do business development, you would build a large network as a function of your role, and probably get job offers while you are working. I have never had a formal interview here. If you are in an office, it is not as easy. When I had an office based role, I kept every business card I got, and kept in touch with people. If you are competent, people will see that and keep you in mind. If you develop a good relationship with these contacts, it doesn't hurt to let them know you are looking. Just need to be careful with that of course. Sometimes the best route as a PA is just paying your dues and once you've got a good resume built up in UAE, higher paying PA jobs will open up, or Office Manager jobs as well. Good luck
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 14:47
what are you working as... if i may ask... maybe someone on here would know of a more challenging position you could apply for My previous experiences are in customer service/office admin management and also PA. Thank you HorizonMum :) Going down the lines of Office Manager/PA will give you the most financial income as opposed to customer service... Am on all the agencies and the sites inc. gulftalen, linkedin and so... Office manager i would love in both aspects. On the other hand am doing PA at the moment and has left such a bad taste in my mouth... and i cant picture doing the same. I know that all ppl and companies arent the same, but am scared ill be jumping from bad to worse, if you know what i mean!!!! Anyway, am quite a positive person so i havent given up yet, it was nice to get an opinion from other expats. thanks darling :)
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 14:41
what are you working as... if i may ask... maybe someone on here would know of a more challenging position you could apply for My previous experiences are in customer service/office admin management and also PA. Thank you HorizonMum :) Going down the lines of Office Manager/PA will give you the most financial income as opposed to customer service...
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 14:39
Good morning Ladies, I need some advice please. I have been in Dubai over 2 years now and i am on my own. In the last year i haven't found it that easy, i am very unhappy at work and not in a great financial position either. I keep looking for a new job and not having any luck (over 1 year now). My question is, when do you say enough is enough? When shall you make that decision and return back to UK? I absolutely LOVE living here and i cant imagine to leave but on the other hand i feel that if i continue to be this unhappy at work and i don't find another job, am i just wasting my time trying and not achieve anything??? I would appreciate anyone can share their thoughts, opinions or if they have been through the same!!! Thank you so much :) Its a hard one, but only you will truly know when enough is enough. The fact that you are questioning that may mean your not quite ready to throw in the towel and leave Dubai just yet. Sounds like it is your job situation that you need to fix, are you registered with recruitment agencies? From personal experience, this is how you will get a job. Applying on Gulf Talent yourself got me nowhere even when I was qualified for the jobs, it made me think of if my application was even getting viewed or not... probably wasn't. Are you asking for feedback from all of the interviews you have been unsuccessful in? I know it is never nice to hear criticism, but sometimes we have to in order to better ourselves for future interviews. To make you feel better (hopefully), one interviewer that gave me feedback to the agency said that because at the end of the interview I asked if it was easy to get a taxi in the area, it showed lack of initiative... when in fact all I was doing was making polite conversation! What it showed me though was that I wouldn't want to work for a company like that anyway and instantly I felt better about not getting it. I think when you say are you wasting your time and not achieving anything is being a bit harsh on yourself. You wake up to lovely weather nearly every day, bright sunshine, and you can do alot of things that don't cost any/little money. You have achieved a better standard and quality of life for yourself. Seems like you just need to catch a break with your job situation... GeordieBird, You hit the nail on the head, off course am not ready to go. As i said previously, i love it here hence why i moved in the first place. Am not ready to throw it all in because i want to enjoy my time here, which unfortunately i haven't so far. God, i have tried every avenue there is in terms of finding a new job, i think its just my luck. I find Dubai works more in connections and i don't have a lot either. I agree i think the work has put me down in terms of confidence whether that is personally or professionally. Thank you for taking your time to send me your thoughts, much appreciated. Well, I have never got an interview here or been offered a job here by knowing anyone. It has always been by registering with agencies and keeping my Bayt/Gulf Talent/LinkedIn profiles constantly updated - as alot of recruitment agents will call you from seeing your profile on these sites. Make these profiles if you don't have one... Its really hard to be any more specific when I don't know what line of work you do... Contact agencies and ask why there are no jobs... get an update on the current market situation. Sounds like you need to get out there meeting people too, register on Meetups and go to a meetup event.
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 14:35
what are you working as... if i may ask... maybe someone on here would know of a more challenging position you could apply for My previous experiences are in customer service/office admin management and also PA. Thank you HorizonMum :)
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 14:28
Good morning Ladies, I need some advice please. I have been in Dubai over 2 years now and i am on my own. In the last year i haven't found it that easy, i am very unhappy at work and not in a great financial position either. I keep looking for a new job and not having any luck (over 1 year now). My question is, when do you say enough is enough? When shall you make that decision and return back to UK? I absolutely LOVE living here and i cant imagine to leave but on the other hand i feel that if i continue to be this unhappy at work and i don't find another job, am i just wasting my time trying and not achieve anything??? I would appreciate anyone can share their thoughts, opinions or if they have been through the same!!! Thank you so much :) Its a hard one, but only you will truly know when enough is enough. The fact that you are questioning that may mean your not quite ready to throw in the towel and leave Dubai just yet. Sounds like it is your job situation that you need to fix, are you registered with recruitment agencies? From personal experience, this is how you will get a job. Applying on Gulf Talent yourself got me nowhere even when I was qualified for the jobs, it made me think of if my application was even getting viewed or not... probably wasn't. Are you asking for feedback from all of the interviews you have been unsuccessful in? I know it is never nice to hear criticism, but sometimes we have to in order to better ourselves for future interviews. To make you feel better (hopefully), one interviewer that gave me feedback to the agency said that because at the end of the interview I asked if it was easy to get a taxi in the area, it showed lack of initiative... when in fact all I was doing was making polite conversation! What it showed me though was that I wouldn't want to work for a company like that anyway and instantly I felt better about not getting it. I think when you say are you wasting your time and not achieving anything is being a bit harsh on yourself. You wake up to lovely weather nearly every day, bright sunshine, and you can do alot of things that don't cost any/little money. You have achieved a better standard and quality of life for yourself. Seems like you just need to catch a break with your job situation... GeordieBird, You hit the nail on the head, off course am not ready to go. As i said previously, i love it here hence why i moved in the first place. Am not ready to throw it all in because i want to enjoy my time here, which unfortunately i haven't so far. God, i have tried every avenue there is in terms of finding a new job, i think its just my luck. I find Dubai works more in connections and i don't have a lot either. I agree i think the work has put me down in terms of confidence whether that is personally or professionally. Thank you for taking your time to send me your thoughts, much appreciated.
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 12:56
Good morning Ladies, I need some advice please. I have been in Dubai over 2 years now and i am on my own. In the last year i haven't found it that easy, i am very unhappy at work and not in a great financial position either. I keep looking for a new job and not having any luck (over 1 year now). My question is, when do you say enough is enough? When shall you make that decision and return back to UK? I absolutely LOVE living here and i cant imagine to leave but on the other hand i feel that if i continue to be this unhappy at work and i don't find another job, am i just wasting my time trying and not achieve anything??? I would appreciate anyone can share their thoughts, opinions or if they have been through the same!!! Thank you so much :) Its a hard one, but only you will truly know when enough is enough. The fact that you are questioning that may mean your not quite ready to throw in the towel and leave Dubai just yet. Sounds like it is your job situation that you need to fix, are you registered with recruitment agencies? From personal experience, this is how you will get a job. Applying on Gulf Talent yourself got me nowhere even when I was qualified for the jobs, it made me think of if my application was even getting viewed or not... probably wasn't. Are you asking for feedback from all of the interviews you have been unsuccessful in? I know it is never nice to hear criticism, but sometimes we have to in order to better ourselves for future interviews. To make you feel better (hopefully), one interviewer that gave me feedback to the agency said that because at the end of the interview I asked if it was easy to get a taxi in the area, it showed lack of initiative... when in fact all I was doing was making polite conversation! What it showed me though was that I wouldn't want to work for a company like that anyway and instantly I felt better about not getting it. I think when you say are you wasting your time and not achieving anything is being a bit harsh on yourself. You wake up to lovely weather nearly every day, bright sunshine, and you can do alot of things that don't cost any/little money. You have achieved a better standard and quality of life for yourself. Seems like you just need to catch a break with your job situation...
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 12:02
what are you working as... if i may ask... maybe someone on here would know of a more challenging position you could apply for

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY