rental increase question | ExpatWoman.com

rental increase question

Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 18:27

apologies if this has been asked before. Can a landlord increase the rent again this year. He increased last year and I am under the impression that he cannot increase again for another year, ie every 2 years.
Can't make any sense of the rera web site and cannot find specific answer.

Latest post on 02 April 2015 - 19:28
Increase in rent ( Providing it is inline with the Rent Calculator) does not have to be done by notary. An email or a phone call will suffice provided you are given 90 days notice. If it is outside the 90 days then they cannot ( As per the rental laws) I went through this last year when i renewed for my final year. The only document that needs to be notarised is the eviction notice This is true, I called up RERA today and they have added a 4th option of email. He said 1) Notary public 2) Registered mail 3) Written notice handed over in person 4) Email. Not sure about the phone call as this wasn't mentioned. Hope you can resolve it easily.
Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 11:39
Geordie you are right. Sadly, the 2 year 'no increase' was stopped a few years ago. edited by MollyMooMoo on 01/04/2015 edited by MollyMooMoo on 01/04/2015 I have never had a problem with following the RERA calculator. It's the devious LL I get furious with.
Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 11:32
Geordie you are right. Sadly, the 2 year 'no increase' was stopped a few years ago. edited by MollyMooMoo on 01/04/2015 <em>edited by MollyMooMoo on 01/04/2015</em>
Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 10:18
apologies if this has been asked before. Can a landlord increase the rent again this year. He increased last year and I am under the impression that he cannot increase again for another year, ie every 2 years. Can't make any sense of the rera web site and cannot find specific answer. Hi there, i was in the same situation at the beginning of the year as i was due to renew my contract for the 2nd year. The landlord asked to increase my rent by 10%. I checked on RERA and it said am not due. I called the Dubai Land Department and i have to say they were fantastic, they gave me all the do's and dont's. In my opinion check RERA and call the Land Department. [b'>I was told they cant increase rent in the first 2 years, irrelevant of whether they give you notice or not.[/b'> I then emailed the landlord and i said i will not pay the 10% and that is how i have been advised by the Land Department and RERA and he had nothing to say but apologies. Best of luck. That is interesting as we were told, along with countless others no doubt, that the 2 year no increase stopped a number of years ago. Now it is all dependent on the RERA calculator. I don't see anywhere in the rental laws that states you cannot increase for 2 years. That was the old 2007 law. The new one 2013 states it is as per the RC. If this was the case then why is the RC in place?? Only for people who have completed more than 2 years in a property. I think that whomever you spoke to may be giving conflicting advise to both tenants and LL edited by sarahlou123 on 01/04/2015 Dear ladies, I cant agree or disagree with the above. I didnt know a lot about this (as i was new in the country) and i was so close to agreeing the increase as i thought maybe its the done deal. I apologies if am incorrect but i was just saying what happened to me. As i mentioned before anyone should not agree with the landlord because they will rip you off, so best advice do your homework and call relevant departments. :) Thankfully it has been all across the media outlets. We are all now getting wise to our rights whereas years ago many would not have questioned a LL regarding eviction/rental increases. Kudos to the powers that be for helping us all :-)
Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 10:16
One of the 'little' quirks of this place. No two people in the same department ever give you the same information ;) http://ezestate.com/rera-rental-increase-law-dubai.html The 2013 Law which is a decree from HRH clearly states the percentages for rental increases however nothing about the 2 years Yes we are only starting our 4th year and we never had the 'no increase for 2 years'.
Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 10:16
apologies if this has been asked before. Can a landlord increase the rent again this year. He increased last year and I am under the impression that he cannot increase again for another year, ie every 2 years. Can't make any sense of the rera web site and cannot find specific answer. Hi there, i was in the same situation at the beginning of the year as i was due to renew my contract for the 2nd year. The landlord asked to increase my rent by 10%. I checked on RERA and it said am not due. I called the Dubai Land Department and i have to say they were fantastic, they gave me all the do's and dont's. In my opinion check RERA and call the Land Department. [b'>I was told they cant increase rent in the first 2 years, irrelevant of whether they give you notice or not.[/b'> I then emailed the landlord and i said i will not pay the 10% and that is how i have been advised by the Land Department and RERA and he had nothing to say but apologies. Best of luck. That is interesting as we were told, along with countless others no doubt, that the 2 year no increase stopped a number of years ago. Now it is all dependent on the RERA calculator. I don't see anywhere in the rental laws that states you cannot increase for 2 years. That was the old 2007 law. The new one 2013 states it is as per the RC. If this was the case then why is the RC in place?? Only for people who have completed more than 2 years in a property. I think that whomever you spoke to may be giving conflicting advise to both tenants and LL edited by sarahlou123 on 01/04/2015 Dear ladies, I cant agree or disagree with the above. I didnt know a lot about this (as i was new in the country) and i was so close to agreeing the increase as i thought maybe its the done deal. I apologies if am incorrect but i was just saying what happened to me. As i mentioned before anyone should not agree with the landlord because they will rip you off, so best advice do your homework and call relevant departments. :)
Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 10:14
One of the 'little' quirks of this place. No two people in the same department ever give you the same information ;) http://ezestate.com/rera-rental-increase-law-dubai.html The 2013 Law which is a decree from HRH clearly states the percentages for rental increases however nothing about the 2 years
Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 10:12
One of the 'little' quirks of this place. No two people in the same department ever give you the same information ;)
Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 10:09
apologies if this has been asked before. Can a landlord increase the rent again this year. He increased last year and I am under the impression that he cannot increase again for another year, ie every 2 years. Can't make any sense of the rera web site and cannot find specific answer. Hi there, i was in the same situation at the beginning of the year as i was due to renew my contract for the 2nd year. The landlord asked to increase my rent by 10%. I checked on RERA and it said am not due. I called the Dubai Land Department and i have to say they were fantastic, they gave me all the do's and dont's. In my opinion check RERA and call the Land Department. [b'>I was told they cant increase rent in the first 2 years, irrelevant of whether they give you notice or not.[/b'> I then emailed the landlord and i said i will not pay the 10% and that is how i have been advised by the Land Department and RERA and he had nothing to say but apologies. Best of luck. That is interesting as we were told, along with countless others no doubt, that the 2 year no increase stopped a number of years ago. Now it is all dependent on the RERA calculator. I don't see anywhere in the rental laws that states you cannot increase for 2 years. That was the old 2007 law. The new one 2013 states it is as per the RC. If this was the case then why is the RC in place?? Only for people who have completed more than 2 years in a property. I think that whomever you spoke to may be giving conflicting advise to both tenants and LL <em>edited by sarahlou123 on 01/04/2015</em>
Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 09:57
apologies if this has been asked before. Can a landlord increase the rent again this year. He increased last year and I am under the impression that he cannot increase again for another year, ie every 2 years. Can't make any sense of the rera web site and cannot find specific answer. Hi there, i was in the same situation at the beginning of the year as i was due to renew my contract for the 2nd year. The landlord asked to increase my rent by 10%. I checked on RERA and it said am not due. I called the Dubai Land Department and i have to say they were fantastic, they gave me all the do's and dont's. In my opinion check RERA and call the Land Department. [b'>I was told they cant increase rent in the first 2 years, irrelevant of whether they give you notice or not.[/b'> I then emailed the landlord and i said i will not pay the 10% and that is how i have been advised by the Land Department and RERA and he had nothing to say but apologies. Best of luck. That is interesting as we were told, along with countless others no doubt, that the 2 year no increase stopped a number of years ago. Now it is all dependent on the RERA calculator.
Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 09:53
apologies if this has been asked before. Can a landlord increase the rent again this year. He increased last year and I am under the impression that he cannot increase again for another year, ie every 2 years. Can't make any sense of the rera web site and cannot find specific answer. Hi there, i was in the same situation at the beginning of the year as i was due to renew my contract for the 2nd year. The landlord asked to increase my rent by 10%. I checked on RERA and it said am not due. I called the Dubai Land Department and i have to say they were fantastic, they gave me all the do's and dont's. In my opinion check RERA and call the Land Department. I was told they cant increase rent in the first 2 years, irrelevant of whether they give you notice or not. I then emailed the landlord and i said i will not pay the 10% and that is how i have been advised by the Land Department and RERA and he had nothing to say but apologies. Best of luck.
Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 09:22
My landlord didn't give 90 days notice (two years in a row), although he's entitled to a 30% raise according to the rent calculator. We agreed on 10% raise over the last two years. He's a good landlord and we love our p,ace and know we're paying below market. Now he's just added a extra condition to the rental contract: Rent will be raised according to rent calculator. Smart guy, I guess this counts as early enough notice.
Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 09:07
Increase in rent ( Providing it is inline with the Rent Calculator) does not have to be done by notary. An email or a phone call will suffice provided you are given 90 days notice. If it is outside the 90 days then they cannot ( As per the rental laws) I went through this last year when i renewed for my final year. The only document that needs to be notarised is the eviction notice
Latest post on 01 April 2015 - 09:06
Your landlord cannot increase the rent at all if he has not given you 90 days notice. Even if he did send you an email it is not a registered certified notice which is required. The rental committee does not recognise emails. Don't let your landlord push you around. I have the worst landlord ever and if he refuses to allow you to stay or sign a contract with the same terms the rental committee told me to give the cheque/s to them with the signed contract (from the current year or the year previous) and leave it with them. They call the owner and tell him he can collect the cheques from them. Sends a pretty direct message he can't increase the rent if he gets a call from RERA directly. Perfect option, just that rental committee procedures and crowed is discouraging. I went through once, got my rights but it was very time taking.
Latest post on 31 March 2015 - 22:05
Your landlord cannot increase the rent at all if he has not given you 90 days notice. Even if he did send you an email it is not a registered certified notice which is required. The rental committee does not recognise emails. Don't let your landlord push you around. I have the worst landlord ever and if he refuses to allow you to stay or sign a contract with the same terms the rental committee told me to give the cheque/s to them with the signed contract (from the current year or the year previous) and leave it with them. They call the owner and tell him he can collect the cheques from them. Sends a pretty direct message he can't increase the rent if he gets a call from RERA directly.
Latest post on 31 March 2015 - 19:15
That's great news Meerkat, if he can't provide proof it means you can stay for another year at the same rent! Went through the same thing last year with our LL.
Latest post on 31 March 2015 - 18:11
Thanks peeps. original email hasn't arrived surprisingley!!!!
Latest post on 31 March 2015 - 07:31
You could ask him to resend the original email with the original date stamp on it, just to confirm he did send it ... That may be a starting point, if he's deleted it .. Then he has no evidence.
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 21:58
Hmmmm..... funny that you didn't receive the email. Makes me mad when LL's try and pull a fast one. Best advice to you is to call RERA tomorrow and ask them. Really hope you manage to sort it out, I've had too many friends who have moved because they didn't know their rights xxx <em>edited by MollyMooMoo on 30/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 20:49
no he didn't. tried to say he had sent an email in January but we have not received anything
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 20:01
Did your LL give you 90 days notice (before your tenancy ends) that he intended to put the rent up? If not, then regardless of what the RERA calculator says he can't. <em>edited by MollyMooMoo on 30/03/2015</em>
Latest post on 30 March 2015 - 18:40
Yes he can as long as the increase is according to the RERA rent calculator. The two year rule went years ago! <em>edited by Cornish Pixie on 30/03/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY