Working as a maid | ExpatWoman.com

Working as a maid

Latest post on 05 April 2015 - 03:08

Hi there I am willing to work as a housemaid. I am wondering is it normally in Dubai for us maids to wear uniform or is it the decision of the individual employer? Thanks for your answers

Latest post on 27 January 2016 - 21:05
Im working in an arab family for almost 3 years now and sorting if i will extend or not, but im glad to say that they dont forced me to wear my uniform inside and outside the house..but its my iniative as an employee to show them respect through wearing my uniform when i am working and to be sure that im doing what i intended to do as their maid. :)
Latest post on 21 January 2016 - 12:34
There is no government rule which says housemaid must wear uniform. However we see many wearing them. This is like any other situation where employer may or may not have a Dress code. Like DHL or Emirates.
Latest post on 13 January 2016 - 10:03
Hi everyone, my name is Jeanette, I’m a Filipina. I am a live-in cook/maid, and I’m currently looking for a new western family to work with. I have almost 10 years of working experience in Dubai. I have also worked in Malaysia and Kuwait. I have worked for local, Indian and western families. My previous employers sent me to cooking trainings, and I’m proud to say that they love my cooking skills. I can cook Arabic, Thai, Indian, Chinese and continental food. I have previously travelled to EU and UK with my previous sponsor. I love animals; I have experienced taking care of cats and dogs. My current family has a Maltese. I am a single mom and currently supporting my son who is in university. My current employer will be glad to give you a recommendation/reference check. My expected salary AED 3,000 plus food allowance. Please contact me at 050 219 0114.
Latest post on 10 December 2015 - 10:48
Yes it depends on the employer.. Im lucky because my previous employer allowed me to wear some clothes that im confortable.. my madam reason is they want me to see the same of their out fit like a part of their family. Some times people asked me if im the mother of my madam child hahaha! some employer have a bossy atittude and they like to show to other that she have maids.
Latest post on 09 September 2015 - 12:48
My housemaids wear uniforms while working. Not the ugly ready made ones. I have special uniforms I designed tailored in fashionable colours, durable fabric and beautiful designs with lace and they look very elegant. The only input my housemaid gives is if she would like to work in a dress or in trousers. My cook wears dress uniforms with a hair net and my other housemaid chooses to wear trousers. My housemaids love their uniforms so much that they don't want to change and wear their own clothing in the afternoons/evenings after all the housework has been finished. All my house guests compliment the Uniforms and always ask where I purchased them (thinking they are from a very expensive designer uniform shop) They do not wear their uniforms when going out with me. Uniforms are only for housework so they don't dirty their own cloths. I also have designed aprons to make sure the Uniforms don't get damaged with clorox or other cleaning chemicals. Each employer has their own rules so it will depend on each household if there is a uniform or not. Would you mind sharing a picture of the Uniform, I am quite intrigued and think it might also be an option for us.
Latest post on 05 August 2015 - 09:39
In the winter I also encourage them to wear a cardigan in the early mornings and undershirt as it can get quite cold. I have also designed few uniforms in a warmer fabric for very cold days.
Latest post on 05 August 2015 - 09:30
My housemaids wear uniforms while working. Not the ugly ready made ones. I have special uniforms I designed tailored in fashionable colours, durable fabric and beautiful designs with lace and they look very elegant. The only input my housemaid gives is if she would like to work in a dress or in trousers. My cook wears dress uniforms with a hair net and my other housemaid chooses to wear trousers. My housemaids love their uniforms so much that they don't want to change and wear their own clothing in the afternoons/evenings after all the housework has been finished. All my house guests compliment the Uniforms and always ask where I purchased them (thinking they are from a very expensive designer uniform shop) They do not wear their uniforms when going out with me. Uniforms are only for housework so they don't dirty their own cloths. I also have designed aprons to make sure the Uniforms don't get damaged with clorox or other cleaning chemicals. Each employer has their own rules so it will depend on each household if there is a uniform or not.
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 23:22
Couldn't agree more. Its mutual and its personal. Flow with what makes sense. It's up to your employer and it should be mutually agreed between you and your madam when you're hired. I provide my maid with sets of matching single colored trousers and shirts to wear around the house while cleaning. I didn't like her original cleaning clothes because they were worn and rather tacky such as t-shirts with cartoonish imagery, but I didn't want her to wear her nice clothes either. So I went to Carrefour and bought new clothes for her to clean in, and I replace them as needed.
Latest post on 12 April 2015 - 18:43
It's up to your employer and it should be mutually agreed between you and your madam when you're hired. I provide my maid with sets of matching single colored trousers and shirts to wear around the house while cleaning. I didn't like her original cleaning clothes because they were worn and rather tacky such as t-shirts with cartoonish imagery, but I didn't want her to wear her nice clothes either. So I went to Carrefour and bought new clothes for her to clean in, and I replace them as needed.
Latest post on 12 April 2015 - 10:42
Yes, they are expected to but they are also happy to. The uniforms are very nice and comfortable and the reasoning behind it is often times their own personal clothes are either very frumpy or very tight and revealing which is not acceptable to the employers. Like I said, it's up to the discression of your employers. You make it sound like a bad thing that 'people' know the maid is not an immediate part of the family. Being a maid is employment where you get a monthly salary. Many people who have jobs wear uniforms depending on the discression of their company and this isn't considered surprising or derogatory in any way. However, if you object to wearing a uniform I'm sure there are plenty of employers who wouldn't expect you to wear one.
Latest post on 09 April 2015 - 01:59
Dear Madam Shariounouz, Do I understand that your maid must wear uniform during outings and shopping? Is that because everyone then knows she is not part of the family? I think I would object to wear uniform in that case or is that not allowed when you are told to wear uniform?
Latest post on 05 April 2015 - 12:03
It's usually up to the descretion of your employer. My MIL lets the our housemaid wear whatever she feels comfortable wearing in the house. If they go out for food shopping or family outings she is expected to wear her uniform.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY