School Year Group - Coming from Australia | ExpatWoman.com

School Year Group - Coming from Australia

Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 13:17
Phew, thanks for the responses guys - appreciated!
Latest post on 09 April 2015 - 07:15
You came in the right time,, they just changed their rules, as Tulip said :)
Latest post on 08 April 2015 - 20:42
Hello, The SEC is easing/changing some of the rules for the 2015 school year. Here's a link to the article in Doha News. http://dohanews.co/qatar-education-council-to-relax-enrollment-rules-for-private-schools/ The good news is that it seems the SEC (Supreme Education Council) is leaving it up to schools and parents as to which year their child/children should transition into if they're coming from outside Qatar. Good luck!
Latest post on 08 April 2015 - 08:54
Hi, my family and I have just moved to Abu Dhab so I don't really know if it's the same in Qatar. I have one in Year 4 (just started) in Australia and another in year 1. They will go into the same years as they are now (or were in Australia) however they will go up the next year (5&2) when the new year starts which is in September. So they will actually miss part of their current school years. My child in Year 1 will have the most trouble as he has only had a year of Prep in Australia and the first term of year 1. I would contact the schools over there if you haven't already and ask them which is the right year to put them in based on their ages. I know it's a bit confusing and stressful but it should all work out. Good luck!
Latest post on 08 April 2015 - 03:22
Hi, My family and I will be coming to live in Qatar soon with the kids starting school in August/September. We are from Australia where they are part way through year 2 - this is equivalent to year 3 in the UK system. Our intention is to put them into year 3 however we have heard that the Supreme Education Council in Qatar does not recognise equivalence and will only give them entry in the same year group as they are in currently (ie your in year 2 that means you have to go into year 2 here regardless of age or school system. If true this would mean they would go back 18 months. Trying to speak to schools at moment but seem to be shut for Easter. Can anyone shed light? Shukran!