Birthday party ideas for 40th birthday! | ExpatWoman.com

Birthday party ideas for 40th birthday!

Latest post on 13 April 2015 - 15:05

Hello, ladies!

I am looking for a venue in Dubai to host a 40th birthday party for my husband at the beginning of May. He's not interested in a boat/yacht, unfortunately. I am expecting 20-30 people, but since it seems that it's hard to get people here to commit to something, I think something casual and fun would be best. And although it's hard to do in Dubai, I'd also like to keep the price reasonable as well.

I'm even open to suggestions where it's a big, open bar, and I could just invite friends to meet us there for a gathering, and everyone just pays for their own drinks. It doesn't necessarily have to be dinner.

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Thank you very much. :)

Latest post on 06 March 2016 - 13:02
For my sister's bachlorette we decided to go big and throw her a boat party. We got a houseboat from Volume Yachts, which even included a dance floor! It was a night to remember, needless to say we all had a wonderful time. I would do it all over again for sure.
Latest post on 26 May 2015 - 09:53
Thanks for your update, glad you had a good time in the end but a shame that you had to sit outside in the heat. I have a birthday coming up in the middle of June and am looking to do something different apart from a Friday brunch. if anyone has any ideas they would be most welcome. I am thinking of having a dinner somewhere where there is some kind of entertainment or buzz about the place. Somewhere not too busy & loud or dark. Any ideas???? To be honest, if I could go back in time, I actually would do dinner at Zengo for his birthday. It's a very fun atmosphere, the food is wonderful, and the service is terrific!
Latest post on 21 May 2015 - 11:48
Thanks for your update, glad you had a good time in the end but a shame that you had to sit outside in the heat. I have a birthday coming up in the middle of June and am looking to do something different apart from a Friday brunch. if anyone has any ideas they would be most welcome. I am thinking of having a dinner somewhere where there is some kind of entertainment or buzz about the place. Somewhere not too busy & loud or dark. Any ideas????
Latest post on 21 May 2015 - 09:49
Update: I decided on brunch at Maya, and I thought I'd update you all on how it went! We had the birthday party last Friday. I settled on brunch at Maya, because I wanted to do something fun, low-key, and I honestly couldn't pay a whole lot for the party. Brunch at Maya is 500 AED per person with alcohol, and 350 AED without alcohol. When you go to brunch at Maya, pool and beach access at Le Royal Meridian are included in the price, which I thought might be nice for our guests! And I chose Maya because my husband and I dine there often, as their food, drinks, and service are usually excellent. I was a tiny bit disappointed in brunch, however. We had a party of 25. They seated us outside, even though I requested inside. It turned out to be extremely hot, and they didn't have enough fans for our large table. We took up an entire section, and there was only 1 fan. Our guests were very hot. We only had 1 server, which wasn't enough, and the service wasn't very good. Glasses and plates were often empty for long periods of time. The food was excellent. But they serve the food family-style, which is difficult when a large group of people are trying to be polite and not eat as much as they really want to. Everyone was a bit hesitant to serve themselves, as they didn't bring enough food to the table. And they advertise that they have a DJ from 4-8 for dancing, but they didn't. They said it was too hot. All in all, although I LOVE Maya on a regular dining basis, I wouldn't recommend it for a large brunch group. We had a nice time, but I was hoping for something better. :)
Latest post on 16 April 2015 - 16:12
Yeah, I contacted Rivington, and they replied saying that they were going to be closed for renovation work. They suggested Bahri bar or Tortuga at the Mina A Salaam hotel, so I will do that as well. Love all these ideas - thank you for taking the time to make them!! I'm still open to suggestions if you have them! :)
Latest post on 16 April 2015 - 15:10
I agree about the pricing SIlvstet, but still love it, that aside. Apparently it will be something completely new - very much doubt it will be cheaper though, being JUmeirah GRoup!
Latest post on 16 April 2015 - 11:39
Oh no- for good apparently. Just googled it. Our favourite restaurant (and surely many other people's too), and much nicer than the Souk Al Bahar site. Gutted. Let's hope they replace it with something similar and as good. Gutted too :( Fingers crossed for a good replacement.
Latest post on 16 April 2015 - 10:48
Oh no- for good apparently. Just googled it. Our favourite restaurant (and surely many other people's too), and much nicer than the Souk Al Bahar site. Gutted. Let's hope they replace it with something similar and as good.
Latest post on 16 April 2015 - 10:34
You can also use the roof terrace above Rivington Bar and Grill at the Madinat Jumeirah (or rope off an area in the bar). They ask for a minimum spend but as long as you have guests paying their way at the bar the minimum spend should well and truly be covered and then you just need to provide a few canapes or nibbles. You can also decorate the area with balloons, lanterns or photos etc. The Rivington closes this weekend unfortunately. Ohh rubbish, I liked it there. Is it for good or for a refurb?
Latest post on 15 April 2015 - 16:13
You can also use the roof terrace above Rivington Bar and Grill at the Madinat Jumeirah (or rope off an area in the bar). They ask for a minimum spend but as long as you have guests paying their way at the bar the minimum spend should well and truly be covered and then you just need to provide a few canapes or nibbles. You can also decorate the area with balloons, lanterns or photos etc. The Rivington closes this weekend unfortunately.
Latest post on 15 April 2015 - 16:03
Recently enquired at the Arabian Ranches Golf Club, they seem to offer reasonable packages too.
Latest post on 15 April 2015 - 10:39
You can also use the roof terrace above Rivington Bar and Grill at the Madinat Jumeirah (or rope off an area in the bar). They ask for a minimum spend but as long as you have guests paying their way at the bar the minimum spend should well and truly be covered and then you just need to provide a few canapes or nibbles. You can also decorate the area with balloons, lanterns or photos etc.
Latest post on 15 April 2015 - 09:04
Thank you for your suggestions so far!! I really appreciate it. I'm going to look into these ideas, but if anyone has some more, keep them coming! Chrissy23 - this is the sort of thing I'm looking for (The Scene). I can pay for a rental fee, but I can't really afford to pay for everyone's food and drinks. But Kezzler, 135 dhs per head isn't too bad!! I'll look into this as well!
Latest post on 14 April 2015 - 16:25
I had mine 18 months ago at the Jetty Lounge at One & Only Royal Mirage. They offer drinks packages for set time periods, the wine and beer package for 2 hours was only 135 dhs per head, which I thought was really good. They also offer canapé packages, again at a reasonable price, albeit, they'd forgotten I'd ordered this and so that was a let down (obviously I made sure they didn't charge me for it). They set up your own little bar and server by your reserved area and it was perfect for a relaxed affair. HTH.
Latest post on 14 April 2015 - 14:26
Qds if the weather is still nice at night.
Latest post on 14 April 2015 - 14:25
There is a nice terrace area at The Address Dubai Marina by the side of the Ballroom, this can be booked for private parties and they can provide catering or what about booking a space in one of the many bars here. Places like The Scene at Pier 7 will allow you to book a space on the terrace for a group gathering and then order your own drinks at the bar or put everything on one bill. You could also try the golf clubs for their function spaces .... not sure on cost though, or what about booking a suite in a nice hotel that has a large balcony/terrace and getting them to provide nibbles and drinks. I know the Waldorf Astoria offers this as an 'event' option so I'm sure other hotels would do.
Latest post on 14 April 2015 - 13:09
Anyone been to the Okku Disco Brunch?
Latest post on 14 April 2015 - 12:24
I'm looking to do the same but have less guests. But mine will be in the height of summer so will have to do something indoors. Any ideas or great brunches would be grateful.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY