Anybody know of a 'cat whisperer'/shrink in Dubai? | ExpatWoman.com

Anybody know of a 'cat whisperer'/shrink in Dubai?

Latest post on 16 April 2015 - 11:19

I'd love some help from someone along the lines of a 'jackson galaxy'/ cat 'shrink' if anyone knows of one here. I need some advice on getting an outside cat accepted by my inside/outdoor ones. I asked vets but they couldn't really think of anyone. Alternatively, if anyone has any advice on how to move an outside cat ('stray') from one house/area to another I'd love to know. thanks.

Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 13:15
Hi Kpea, I have one resident cat plus 2 dogs (which can really resist accepting a new cat) and we always have fosters in the house. With a new one, we always follow Nomad's advice. Provide him a room where he can feel safe and cozy, and slowly introduce them over time. but first week or so, I don't even try to get them close to each other. With cats and dogs, it is all about smells. After a week, I let all household to the garden and let the newcomer go around the house and have a sniff and this helps his smell get in the house and mix with existing smells. I do this every day for a week or so, in the meantime they see each other through the screens.. Depending on the reaction, I just take my time or allow him to mix in the crowd. With just cats, I would also maybe try just swapping the litter boxes after one week. As Nomad said, please take him to a vet first before getting him indoors, test against FIV, FELV and such. I am not too concerned about FIV myself, my cat is not violent towards newcomers, but ringworm is a nightmare to deal with when you have a number of animals... Make sure he is free from all these.. Good luck, the kitty is smart and very lucky to have chosen you as owner :)
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 12:32
Thank you Nomad. Really appreciate the response. The cat used to be 'feral'/a stray - would never come close to people but would wander around the neighbourhood and come visiting the garden for a few days at a time angling for snacks before moving on somewhere else. He wasn't a dumped pet and seemed pretty self-sufficient. At some point someone has domesticated him as he disappeared for a long time and when he came back / visited again was desperate for attention/strokes etc. I guess those people have since moved on because he now considers himself 'our' cat. He has let himself inside the house but was very skittish, and very stressed when he knew the exit was blocked. I know he'd be very easy to domesticate with a bit of time and get comfortable as an inside/outside cat, but my three cats really dislike him and have made it very clear they'll sort of tolerate him outside, but there's no way they allow him inside the house. I wouldn't be worried about him except he clearly now relies on people and seems to be going blind (at least in one eye). We are moving in the summer and I don't particularly want to rely on others/neighbours keeping an eye out for him and feeding him although he might do just fine. If I could get my other cats to accept him I would try and do that, but I just need help with the how of doing it. I could try bringing him inside a bathroom & going from there, but I kind of see that as a 'no way back' route, and as my other 3 cats already know him and dislike him I'm not sure they would ever accept him (?).... Anyway, thanks again for your advice.
Latest post on 18 April 2015 - 19:49
I'd love some help from someone along the lines of a 'jackson galaxy'/ cat 'shrink' if anyone knows of one here. I need some advice on getting an outside cat accepted by my inside/outdoor ones. I asked vets but they couldn't really think of anyone. Alternatively, if anyone has any advice on how to move an outside cat ('stray') from one house/area to another I'd love to know. thanks. Is the stray feral or domesticated ie was it dumped or a lost pet ? If it is tame when you move it to a new house/area keep it in for a minimum of two weeks to get used to the area, smells and people. Start by leaving it in a secluded private quiet area, spare bathroom is ideal. It is important to have the cat vet checked & inoculated. After settling in you can open the bathroom door and let it explore and get to know the house.This system can sometimes work when introducing Kitty to the other cats in the house. They get to know each other by smelling under the bathroom door etc.You have to take it slowly as the existing cats can be territorial and may not be happy about sharing their home. When you decide to let Kitty out into the garden do it for short stints, I would hover like a helicopter guiding them around the garden. A old wives tale that works is putting butter on the paws to make sure if they wonder they come back home. If Kitty is feral a bit more complicated as you will have to spend a lot more time on the bathroom floor......! Letting Kitty get used to you, I would sit and read, eventually they get curious and approach you. Same pattern as above but a lot more patience and time. Hopefully Izzy or SueB will be along at some point to add their advice. Well done for taking the time to help. <em>edited by Nomad on 18/04/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY