Information needed on what to do when moving away from Qatar | ExpatWoman.com

Information needed on what to do when moving away from Qatar

Latest post on 16 April 2015 - 11:26

Hi all, we'll be leaving Doha so I was wondering what the process is once we give notice on our apartment. How much notice do we need to give Ooredoo & Kharamma and our Bank? I have heard the bank freezes the account once they know you are leaving to ensure all loans/debts are paid before you leave), (thankfully we do not have any loans/debts or credit cards here), but is it a good idea to try & transfer most of our funds out of the country before advising Bank? Not trying to be dodgy or not pay final bills but we cant afford to have all our funds tied up here. Can we leave an account open for a period of time after we leave?
We'll leave at the end of our lease - Do Landlords return the deposit by cash or cheque, or just not cash your final cheque?
Do you have to return Driving licenses?
I am not sure if company, who sponsored my DH, will look after returning Qatar IDs. If not, how soon would we need to return them after we terminate DH's employment?
Thx for any guidance .

Latest post on 15 May 2015 - 18:03
a friend sent this to me: https://twitter.com/ukinqatar/status/59 http://bit.ly/1zYOVnX or: #British_Community 8407722153836545/photo/1
Latest post on 23 April 2015 - 09:17
If you have a local bank credit card you have to cancel it at least 90 days before leaving (with a zero balance) or the bank may block your withdrawing the amount of your credit limit from your current or savings account(s)
Latest post on 22 April 2015 - 18:06
Thanks jdcgl! That is very helpful information. Much appreciated. Good luck where ever you are going.
Latest post on 22 April 2015 - 18:06
Thanks jdcgl! That is very helpful information. Much appreciated. Good luck where ever you are going.
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 10:44
Hi, We too are leaving Doha in June but we have started the process so I have some answers but not all. Ooredoo: we brought the box and remote into the office the day that we were leaving the villa and they cancelled there and then. Kharamma: On the day that we were leaving we were advised to take the meter readings with a newspaper to confirm the date. We did this but the office would not accept them so they sent a guy around, within an hour, who took readings and turned off the electricity. He gave us a form that we had to take back to the office to complete the cancellation process. We were told to come back in two days to get the deposit cheque back as there was a problem with the chequebook that day. I do believe that you can get the cheque back the same day though. We collected the cheque and it cleared within a few hours of being deposited. Villa Lease: We let our villa a week before the lease was due to end as it was over Spring Break and we were going to be away. We were leaving an Al Jazi property so this is their process. Not sure if it is the same for other companies. We had to bring a copy of the final receipt from both Ooredoo and Kharamma to them and we got a cheque back. This cheque also cleared within a few hours of bring lodged. Hope this helps, J
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 16:46
Thanks Lady D, I think we may be leaving before you so as I find out I'll post. Good luck with your move
Latest post on 16 April 2015 - 11:50
Parkclark - good questions! We are leaving too at the end of July, and if my husband gets given a crib sheet of what to do and when, I'll let you know!