Pet Relocation/ fit to fly | ExpatWoman.com

Pet Relocation/ fit to fly

Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 12:30

Hi,
I posted a few weeks ago in regards to pet relocation& moving back to the UK.
Our issue is that we want to take our dog (who actually wasn't ours in the first place as he was given to us by friends who left & went back to Australia!!) but anyway we have had him for the last 5 years and feel it isn't right to leave him as he's part of the family.
But the issue is his age...he is nearly 14 and I don't know if he will survive a flight.
Has anyone brought 'an old dog' over/ back?
We would be going back to the UK so flight approx 7 hours.
Do all pets have to fly underneath in the hold as cargo or can they fly with you in the cabin?
Will the vets here assess them as 'fit to fly'?

Any advice would be grateful.
Thanks

Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 14:40
Oops, sorry, didn't read properly regarding whether he is snub or not. Again Linda can advise, but I hope you can pass him as NOT snub-nosed.
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 14:38
If it's Emirates I believe they won't fly snub breeds May-Sept included. A friend just sent a snub back to the UK with EK and had to sign a waiver, but was told the dog had to fly before the end of this month. Linda will tell you, but I think there's a minimum time that has to have passed between vaccinations and when they can travel, even for boosters. I seem to think it's something like 3 weeks, but Linda will confirm.
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 10:23
Hi ladies. Thanks for all your advice. Don't think the food will be an issue, but he will definately need water. Yes I have contacted Linda & she is the cheapest so far. I will try & arrange for her to come over and visit me to give me better advice. I went to the vets yesterday, to get the cats vaccinations updated, so she is now ok to travel. Also took the dog with me- he said he couldn't see that the dog will have a problem, even with his age. Issue could be with his pet passport though as it states his breed is a Maltese terrier/ crossed with Shitzu. Apparently Shitzu's have snub noses & can't fly in the hot summer months. So I may have to do some sort of letter- with his photo and stating he doesn't have a snub nose & breathing problems (more terrier in him) so that he can fly. Someone advised that we book an early am or night flight to try & reduce the heat also. Sanddy_Dogg: it's just awful- the way that some people treat animals.
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 20:30
Oh, and by the way Chippy, well done for planning to take your dog with you rather than dumping him. (Today I saw someone surrender three cats to a shelter, or in his words "I want you to dispose of them" :( )
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 20:24
I agree with dxbrun. All the info given on this thread regarding good and drink is relevant but the UK is rather complicated and Linda knows all the ins and outs. She's also a damn sight cheaper than the major companies.
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 19:49
I would suggest that you get in touch with Linda Tedd at Pet Express Dubai. She is an expert in animal relocation and will be able to give you very honest advice and organise everything. She's brilliant!
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 09:31
It's recommended for all animals that fly to not have food 12 hours prior to the flight time! Just in case they get sick, as somebody mentioned, there's no way to clean the travel box during the flight, so just water is allowed. It's strange the cargo guys told you they get fed right before the flight! This was over a decade a go. I'm sure things have changed since then.
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 08:59
It's recommended for all animals that fly to not have food 12 hours prior to the flight time! Just in case they get sick, as somebody mentioned, there's no way to clean the travel box during the flight, so just water is allowed. It's strange the cargo guys told you they get fed right before the flight!
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 07:16
When I flew my animals with Emirates into Dubai, the cargo guys were excellent. They told me that they would be fed and watered before the flight, but could not have food during - in case they vomit. They did have a small attachable water bowl to their crates though. Good luck and I hope all goes well :)
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 07:01
Re: the food... Some airlines make you sign to say the animal HAS been fed and some will make you sign to say the animal HASN'T beed fed. Do what you think is best (as ExpatLora says, I'll be going with no food for mine) but be prepared that you may need to sign to say you've done the opposite of what the airline said.
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 22:02
Hi ladies. Thanks all for your advice. ExpatLora- I might take you up on your offer if I need any other help nearer to the time. Yes Spook I have already started contacting pet relocators for their advice & costs involved. Sanddy_Dogg: good advice re the water, thanks. FairyDust- thanks for your kind words.
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 17:55
True! Animals are not checked when in the hold during the flight. It is possible that there may be a camera, so the pilot may have a visual, but that is pretty much it. Do not sedate your pet -- airlines will not take him as it is a huge risk. Start getting him used to his crate/kennel so that he sees that as a safe and comfortable place for him. Walk him a little bit before you hand him over and give him some water, but no food. We had two non spill bowl attached to his crate, but when we picked him up in Dubai, both the bowls were in the kennel! If you need to know anything else, please let me know.
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 17:32
Hi - we had an absolutely excellent, flawless service by a group here called DKC. I know this is not really what you were asking, but I am assuming that you will have to start looking at some point! If you decide to go with them, I suggest you ask them to recommend someone at the UK end; I am certain that they have a trusted partner with whom they usually work. Good luck and kudos to you for being such a responsible pet owner :-)
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 17:10
We used Virgin to fly our dog from UK to Dubai as we were told by the pet relocation company in the UK that they have someone check on the animals during the flight. Who on earth told you that? There's no way anyone goes into the hold during a flight. It's the reason airlines will not take animals that are sedated - because you can't get to them.
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 15:07
We used Virgin to fly our dog from UK to Dubai as we were told by the pet relocation company in the UK that they have someone check on the animals during the flight. As mentioned before, your vet will be able to confirm whether he is fit to fly.
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 14:25
Hi Chippy, I have nothing more to add, but I just wanted to say 'thank you'. Thank you for being a responsible, caring owner and asking all the right questions. In a weekend, which has seen so many people dump their pets, it's nice to see someone who really does care about their pet.
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 13:43
Regarding your question about water, it's the responsibility of the person who takes the dog to the airport. Some people used those bottles with the pipe and a ball in the end like you described but a more popular method in a bowl that clips inside the door. Some crates come with them supplied, and it you're lucky, it will will a no-spill bowl. If not, people use plastic containers (ice-cream containers or GLAD containers) which the drill a couple of holes into and attach to the inside of the door with cable ties. The trick is to fill the bowl with water the night before so it's an ice block. Keep the ice block in a cool bag until the last minute and put it in the water bowl just before the crate is sealed with cable ties. It won't all splop out straight away nd will last longer.
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 13:32
We brought our 13+ year old dog with us from the states this year - it was a 8 hour flight from DC to Frankfurt, a 5 hour break there at Lufthansa's pet facility and then 5 hours into Dubai. He did great, no issues but he absolutely loved his crate so he was not stressed at all - I think that was the key.
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 13:11
Hi ladies. Ok thanks for letting me know. Geordie expat- yes I think I'll go to the vets just to make sure. ExpatLora- yes all paperwork is in order. Its just with his age & the flight time that I am worried. How do they get water? I have seen these containers like you give hamsters, but do dogs get these?
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 12:54
Hi! Do you have all the paperwork in order, showing you guys as owners, vaccinations up to date, pet passport etc.? If all is order and your dog has no major issues other than being 'senior' -- there shouldn't be a problem with a vet giving you a letter stating he is fit to fly. We brought our large breed dog here at the age of 13 (he has flown a few times before). It was an 8 hours flight, plus being taken in at departure point early and with Emirates messing up on the paperwork, he was in his kennel for a total of 15 hours. On arrival here, he should have been taken out and at least given some water. He was very dehydrated and hungry, but he did very well. Don't worry about his age, if no major health issues, he will be just fine. Your dog will have to fly as cargo (below). Make sure that the flight crew on board know that you have a pet on board, so that they get the temperature just right for him. I think you will have to check with airlines as some smaller sized dogs and service dogs can fly with their owners in the cabin (but this is mostly in Europe and the North America), not sure if this is allowed in this part of the world. Hope this helps! Good luck!!
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 12:49
I would take him to your usual vet and see what they have to say. They will have all his records and hopefully be able to help as they'll know him best.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY