Family Friendly Compounds | ExpatWoman.com

Family Friendly Compounds

Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 13:16

Hi,

We will be arriving from Australia in the next couple of months and looking for some recommendations as to family friendly compounds. Husband will come out first (late May) so will have the job of scouring the city. Have lived in the Gulf before and appreciate how important it is to get your accommodation right. Our kids are 7 (twins) so ideally a compound where there are families of a similar age groups, a bit of greenery, a playground etc, etc. Our budget is up to QR20k but ideally 15-18k.

Also, typically - are villas unfurnished or semi-furnished. Should we expect fridge, washing machine to be there already. What about dining tables etc?

Shurkan!

Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 15:30
Hi, We live in a Y Village compound, it's a bit out of the way, close-ish to Villaggio, although if he is leaving at 6 am it shouldn't take too long. We pay 18k for a 4 bedroom which is semi-furnished (all appliances included, no furniture) but I know they also rent fully furnished, though I'm not sure how much for. Our kids are 7 and 8 and they have tons of friends on the compound and they are always at each other's houses or by the pool. I would highly recommend it!
Latest post on 24 April 2015 - 07:51
Very good point Casper29. I had wondered about that little conundrum re school commute. Husband's office is in Westbay although he is planning to get there early, around 6am, to hopefully miss the main traffic. He would return around 4. Would that avoid the traffic or still a nightmare?
Latest post on 22 April 2015 - 22:19
If I were you I would maybe look at temporary accommodation whilst you wait to hear which school the children will be in. Not ideal I know but the school day starts so early here anyway and the traffic is so bad in some areas at peak times that I'd recommend the shortest school commute possible! Do you have a shortlist of schools yet and do you know where you're husbands office will be? There are a lot of lovely compounds all over the city with your budget but I wouldn't want to commit to a rental contract until I knew the school route!
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 06:54
Thanks Kagi. Had a look online at Al Jazi. Looks like a great spot. It is a bit chicken and egg when it comes to school and accomodation. We are not sure which school we will get the kids into but at the same time will have to find a villa before the school spot is confirmed :( So your place was totally unfurnished? Did you have to buy washing machine and fridge? We have a 20 foot container as part of the relocation and we are trying to establish what to bring and what not to bring. What about the places in Al Waab - unfirnished or do they have some bits and bobs in there? Shukran!
Latest post on 19 April 2015 - 21:55
I stayed in Al Jazi Gardens in West Bay. It's a lovely compound where my two young sons really love it. They have swimming pools, tennis court, squash court, badminton court, football field...etc. 3 bed town house is asking for 19k for unfurnished. However traffic is probably the priority you need to consider for your husband work and children's school places. otherwise most expats living in the al waab area where the big shopping mall - Villagio mall is. Beverley Hills 1 and 10 are very nice with good facilities.