Branded verses non branded stuff | ExpatWoman.com

Branded verses non branded stuff

Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 14:48

I normally go to mall, window shop and try different stuff, and whatever I like or find reasonable I purchase that. Lately, I have found "expensive" cheap quality cloths in many branded stores. Really, why do we pay so much for name?

At the same time, I get 3 different quotes for same type of facial with a statement, "madam, that's more expensive brand". Talk about hair treatments, it ranges from 149 to 3000 Dhs. Seriously ???:thinking:

Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 20:29
I've conceded to spend the money on the quality brands, and take advantage of sales--when they're on, I double up. When I find a good quality brand of shirts or shorts that flatters me and doesn't cost the earth, I buy 10-15 of everything. And it is not usually in Dubai. Needless to say, I have a rather boring array in my closet :)
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 17:08
I don't want to enter in a debate with you ThirdCultureFamily, but since I run a textile factory for 12 years and had to go through numerous inspections in order to be accredited to manufacture for major brands, and some high-street ones as well, I know that the required standards are the same no matter for which market are destined. And I wouldn't really berate the quality of the work done in China either...do you own an iPhone Fairy Dust?? Not all Chinese goods are bad quality, to generalize is not fair to millions of people working and doing a great job!!! <em>edited by simoralu44 on 27/04/2015</em>
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 14:17
Brand name doesn't = quality. Especially when you realise that virtually ALL of it is made in China.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 11:55
[b'>Actually, each factory making branded stuff has to have the same standard![/b'> They go through thorough inspections before being given an order for the brand. In a branded staff you pay years of of work to bring the brand where is now on the market, loads of funds invested in marketing, PR, advertising...and last, but not least the quality of the used material, the quality of making, etc...thing is more of the copies are made in the same factories, by the same workers and with the same fabric so, judge for yourself. As for the non-branded stuff...you can get amazing quality at very small price. But yes, branded staff should cost more, because was more invested in it. Nowadays though, the prices are sky high...some times, unjustified. That's not true. Depending on the market that the goods will finally be sold in, the standard/style is slightly different even by the same brand. My explanation about the seam/hem (not sure what it's called) on an undershirt is an example. The exception to this would be very high retail brands. However, those items will likely be made by only a handful of factories that are very closely monitored. Items like everyday shirts, pants, etc are made by a large number of factories and cost/profit margin are simply the most important things considered when making those types of clothing.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 11:29
Actually, each factory making branded stuff has to have the same standard! They go through thorough inspections before being given an order for the brand. In a branded staff you pay years of of work to bring the brand where is now on the market, loads of funds invested in marketing, PR, advertising...and last, but not least the quality of the used material, the quality of making, etc...thing is more of the copies are made in the same factories, by the same workers and with the same fabric so, judge for yourself. As for the non-branded stuff...you can get amazing quality at very small price. But yes, branded staff should cost more, because was more invested in it. Nowadays though, the prices are sky high...some times, unjustified.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 09:49
A part of the quality here is where the garments are made. For example guess jeans in US and Canada are made in US or mexico. here they are made in Tunisia. Zara clothes sold in spain are made in spain. Sold in turkey are made in turkey. Here they are usually made in Morrocco. There are different standards at each factory. ;)
Latest post on 23 April 2015 - 07:48
I never go for brands for the sake of brand shopping. I buy whatever i like, where ever i like it, provided its within the range I have set for myself. Obviously the best thing is to avail the sales, but i try not to get carried away even then...a sale is really an ambush waiting for us to end up buying stuff which we are not in need of... so i stay weary...
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 10:22
Along with the cost, you also have to realize that the same brand you are used to "back home" just isn't the same here because of where the clothing is made for distribution to this region vs. where it's made for "back home." For example, I bought undershirts for my husband the other day from "a well-known, popular" brand we use back home. The product looks exactly the same pre-wash. Once I washed them, the bottom hem was all awry because of the way they stitched it. Instead of a proper double-stitch to hold down the hem flat (I think it's called a double-stitch), they simply folded the fabric over and did one stitch all the way around. The fringe hasn't come undone, but now the bottom hem is all curly and I have to iron it down to even get it wearable. It looks like a ballerina tutu! But as I write this, I think: #FirstWorldProblems and kinda get embarrassed that I took the time to moan about this. :cry:
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 15:35
I normally go to mall, window shop and try different stuff, and whatever I like or find reasonable I purchase that. Lately, I have found "expensive" cheap quality cloths in many branded stores. Really, why do we pay so much for name? At the same time, I get 3 different quotes for same type of facial with a statement, "madam, that's more expensive brand". Talk about hair treatments, it ranges from 149 to 3000 Dhs. Seriously ???:thinking: I find clothing in Dubai versus the UK/US much more expensive The sales here can be good but there is always limited stock and usually tiny or huge sizes left Case in point I recently bought a skirt/dress/trousers from River Island through my shop and ship account. The total cost ordering from the UK including shipping was AED620. If I had bought the same items here it would of cost me AED869 so AED240 cheaper. I rarely buy in Dubai now. Labels or named brands have always cost more as you are paying for the name not necessarily the quality.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY