Which companies have the best maternity leave polices in Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Which companies have the best maternity leave polices in Dubai

Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 15:43

Hello,
I am hoping you can all help me. I am trying to present a case to my company to improve our maternity policy
I am trying to find out, which are the best policies in other companies in Dubai as they do seem to think we are amongst the best.
So I am looking to hear about any companies that offer more than 60 calendar days maternity leave, paid or unpaid.
TIA

Latest post on 31 October 2016 - 08:52
Hi ladies Wondering if someone can help me here. My company is saying I can only start Maternity Leave from the date of delivery, and not before (unless I use my annual leave days, which unfortunately I dont have that many of). According to the UAE Labor Law, for private and goverment companies the Maternity Leave period includes prenatal and post-natal days. [b'>[u'>UAE labor law:[/u'>[/b'> Law No. (27) 2006 Article (126) 2. Pregnant female employees may take maternity leave up to one month prior to the expected date of delivery. [url=http://www.dubaicourts.gov.ae/portal/page/portal/dc/Legislation_Details?_piref292_457219_292_455214_455214.called_from=1&_piref292_457219_292_455214_455214.law_key=728&_piref292_457219_292_455214_455214.item_key=195'>http://www.dubaicourts.gov.ae link[/url'> [b'>[u'>Recent Khaleej Times Article:[/u'>[/b'> Last amended in 2001, this states that permanent employees in the private sector are entitled to 45 days of maternity leave, fully paid, including the time before and after delivery, provided that the continuous period of service with the employer is not less than one year. [url=http://www.khaleejtimes.com/legalview/understanding-maternity-rights-in-the-uae'>http://www.khaleejtimes.com/legalview/understanding-maternity-rights-in-the-uae[/url'> My semi-govt company gives 60 days maternity leave. [b'>[u'>According to the HR policy in my company:[/u'>[/b'> Female employees with 1 year of continuous service at the date of Maternity Leave are entitled to maternity leave of 60 calendar days (consecutive) with full gross pay. The minimum period of post-natal maternity leave is 4 weeks. This is to ensure appropriate post-natal rest and recuperation prior to resuming duties. Doesn't that imply that leave can be taken prenatal too? I mailed HR with the above links and they said they will follow the company policy so I should stick to that, but it seems to me the company should adhere to the UAE labor law guidelines and anyways the HR policy implies a prenatal period. Else it wouldn't mention a "minimum period" for post natal. Any help or legal advice greatly appreciated!
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 14:08
Meant to press the like :) you can delete. Thanks
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 13:44
Chillichai, looking to hear from international companies. Mine is a very large MNC. When I was in the Uk I took 1 year maternity and when I moved here I got two months :( hence I am trying to improve, if other large companies are also doing it they may listen to me :). Which company do you work for? I would love to use it in my case, you can delete it after. Bee, still did not get your email. Thanks everyone, I am getting really good feedback
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 13:23
Do you mean local companies? I would expect a lot of global or international companies to have global/international maternity policies. My company offers maternity leave of 6 months full pay, plus any outstanding holiday, plus option of up to 6 months unpaid.
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 13:13
I used to work for a European company in Dubai. They have the usual policy of 45 days plus you could take your 25 working days annual off. But then it also depends on your boss. I had an amazing one that sanctioned a year off without pay. Then when I was to come back he gave me another 6 months half day. <em>edited by janatks on 21/04/2015</em>
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 10:03
You can remove your email address now.
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 08:11
My company allows up to 12 months, some paid, some unpaid. I haven't heard of any other companies in the UAE offering this. I'm happy to give you the company name if you want to leave your email address.
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 07:09
Mediacom are one of the leaders when it comes to this: http://www.thenational.ae/uae/health/mothers-to-get-six-months-maternity-leave
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 22:22
All the companies I worked with had 45 days paid as per law, and basically unlimited unpaid... What I mean that no one was turned away when they wanted to stay on unpaid leave, even up to a year. My personal opinion from the hr perspective is however that staying a full year out of their profession with a baby may not be beneficial for the person, so I would not encourage more than half a year.
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 22:11
Hello, I am hoping you can all help me. I am trying to present a case to my company to improve our maternity policy I am trying to find out, which are the best policies in other companies in Dubai as they do seem to think we are amongst the best. So I am looking to hear about any companies that offer more than 60 calendar days maternity leave, paid or unpaid. TIA It is UAE labor law to offer 45 days paid and up to 100 days unpaid for maternity leave. Unpaid leave needs to be medically motivated but any gyne would motivate this if you were planning to go back to work 45 days after giving birth. My previous company (British Mnc) provided 3 months paid maternity leave.
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 18:09
Thanks, you can delete :)
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 17:56
Thanks! Geordie expat And Kitten 67, could you possibly mention The name of the company? You can delete the post after I read it. I just need the actuals names as an example of good company practice.
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 17:39
DH company offers 3 months full pay, three months half pay and then six months unpaid if they want it.
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 17:10
I work for Danone Early Life Nutrition and we give 3 months paid plus 3 months unpaid. On the top you can take your holidays.
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 17:01
My company gives 4 months paid maternity leave . You can then take your annual leave on top of that. We are a MNC in Internet City
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 16:06
Yes, so that is what I am looking to hear, which companies offer unpaid leave (or paid) over and above the 45 days. My company does not offer unpaid leave and If I can present them with examples of other companies that do that, they may then want to review the policy and offer it also.
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 16:03
Wow, they must have lots of holidays. We only get 5 weeks per year so assuming not a single day off for two years I could only amount to 4 months and a bit. Hoping to hear from someone that has more :) Aside from the 22 days holidays and 45 for maternity the rest has been unpaid
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 15:57
Wow, they must have lots of holidays. We only get 5 weeks per year so assuming not a single day off for two years I could only amount to 4 months and a bit. Hoping to hear from someone that has more :)
Latest post on 20 April 2015 - 15:47
Hello, I am hoping you can all help me. I am trying to present a case to my company to improve our maternity policy I am trying to find out, which are the best policies in other companies in Dubai as they do seem to think we are amongst the best. So I am looking to hear about any companies that offer more than 60 calendar days maternity leave, paid or unpaid. TIA Most if not all I have worked with give 45 days as per the law however can give unpaid at their discretion. I know several ladies who used their annual leave plus 45 days and took up to 6 months off

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY