Impossible to find a job? | ExpatWoman.com

Impossible to find a job?

Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 18:28

I am so frustrated! 10 interviews, and either they don't come back to you ever, or jobs are going to someone else. What is it? Anyone else experience this? I have 15 years experience in HR in the UK & UAE& Qatar. Does anyone know whats going on? I have been looking for 1 year now!
Thanks for listening to my rant....

Latest post on 26 April 2015 - 11:20
I am so frustrated! 10 interviews, and either they don't come back to you ever, or jobs are going to someone else. What is it? Anyone else experience this? I have 15 years experience in HR in the UK & UAE& Qatar. Does anyone know whats going on? I have been looking for 1 year now! Thanks for listening to my rant.... Aww don't worry the right one will come. Am an HR professional too, let me chip in from my perspective. Work on your contacts, i mean try to identify who are the people giving out your desired job and befriend them. Forget these job boards, to me it's a waste of time. However check out the listings on the job board, get hold of the company name, go on LinkedIn follow the company and find out its HR team, now those are the people you want to talk to. Again, gather contacts, call people, float your resume to HR managers, follow up. One day they will find a job that suits your profile. I wish you the best.
Latest post on 26 April 2015 - 10:10
I feel your pain! I've been looking for about 6 months now and every time I applied for a job on linkedin it seemed to disappear into a black hole - along with the other 1000+ applicants for the same job. I found agencies useless (sorry for anyone working as a recruitment consultant). When I met with them initially everyone is very positive - but nothing after that! In the end I decided to be proactive about it and take matters into my own hands. I made a list of companies I wanted to work at. I'm in the Finance field and so I reached out to all the CFO's and FD's in these companies and "connected" with them. Of those that accepted, I then sent out a brief message with who I was and the reason I'd reached out to them. I found better responses like this - and fingers crossed will have a position soon. As I said this proved far better than what I was doing previously - and the whole thing (providing I get a job offer) has taken me about 2 months max. Good luck - it's hard out there and competition seems to be fierce.
Latest post on 23 April 2015 - 12:29
The job hunting situation doesn't look promising at all. I know quite a few qualified people who have been job hunting for a long time without any success. And at the same time I know a few incompetent people who found jobs quite easily (I doubt they will be employed for long but it shows that their are jobs available). Don't give up the search I'm sure you will find something eventually. It's just going to take time and patience. Linked in does seem to be quite popular now, I've noticed with all internet based recruitment agencies, if your profile is updated recently it shows up on top for recruiters (so even if your cv is the same, try sprucing it up a little so you pop up first) When I graduated with my bachelors it seemed that all the employers were hiring people with mba's and many years of experience and their weren't many opportunities for new graduates with little experience. But after getting my masters degree I found that employers wanted to hire people with fewer degrees and more work experience. So that didn't make any difference, it might just be an excuse HR gives when they prefer one candidate over another. And it's true, most places don't give any feedback and when you follow up with them many just seem very annoyed. It's been a few years since I was job hunting but I also remember it as a frustrating period. Good luck with the rest of the hunt.
Latest post on 23 April 2015 - 11:24
I feel for your and wish you the best of luck. My DH just gone through the same, also the same field as you, and it took him probably about 70 applications and 20 interviews to eventually get a job after 9 months. It is very frustrating when you invest the time to see people and they don't even find it necessary to contact you with an answer either way. However, times are tough again in Dubai and the low oil prices are certainly not helping in this part of the world so no one really wants to make a decision. Once again good luck and hang in there.
Latest post on 23 April 2015 - 09:06
Use your skills to find other areas of employment
Latest post on 23 April 2015 - 09:03
Are you all using LinkedIn to it's full extent?? I have a LinkedIn account I set up ages ago but I ve never used it, do you think it's any good? Also do you mind if I ask what agencies you went through for temping? Thanks I think you'll find a lot of companies use LinkedIn now, saves on agency fees!! I've been contacted a few times via LinkedIn. For temping I used Miller Hay in DIFC
Latest post on 22 April 2015 - 22:02
Are you all using LinkedIn to it's full extent?? I have a LinkedIn account I set up ages ago but I ve never used it, do you think it's any good? Also do you mind if I ask what agencies you went through for temping? Thanks
Latest post on 22 April 2015 - 10:01
Are you all using LinkedIn to it's full extent??
Latest post on 22 April 2015 - 09:57
I am so frustrated! 10 interviews, and either they don't come back to you ever, or jobs are going to someone else. What is it? Anyone else experience this? I have 15 years experience in HR in the UK & UAE& Qatar. Does anyone know whats going on? I have been looking for 1 year now! Thanks for listening to my rant.... I feel your pain... exactly in the same position for the last year and a half! It has bee terrible to the point that i wanted to leave Dubai and return back to UK! I have tried everything and anything, recruitment agencies, online, via connections. It seems in this part of the world loyalty isnt a big deal. You take the time and make the effort to go to the interview and they dont even bother to let you know either way! However, with saying all the above.... i am still hopeful. And i refuse to give up. You need to do the same and keep on trying, fingers crossed something will come up. Maybe go to DAFZA or JAFZA or JLT freezone they have directory for the companies and that way you can approach British/Western companies directly. Good luck with everything and if you want to rant..... let me know, we can rant together looool! :)
Latest post on 22 April 2015 - 09:44
Have any of you tried looking for temp roles to start with. That was how I EVENTUALLY found my current position. This meant that the agency I used could guage what my actual work was like and how suitable I was for the roles advertised. I also don't have a degree and had to rely on almost 40 years experience, so I had age against me also. And yes a lot of it is who you know, but saying that I have also made good friends with some of the recruiters I used :)
Latest post on 22 April 2015 - 09:39
I feel your pain! It's been over a year now for me & nada! I never had this problem at home, I'm applying for jobs I'm more than qualified for ( my background is HR/ Admin too ) and still nothing, in fact I ve only had 3 interviews! Someone told me recently it could be because I don't have a degree and I'm relying on work experience? Albeit 15 yrs of work experience! I'm not sure what the problem is here but it's really frustrating! ?
Latest post on 22 April 2015 - 08:36
HR is a difficult area, with more applicants than demand. Good luck with your efforts. <em>edited by dentro on 22/04/2015</em>
Latest post on 22 April 2015 - 08:20
Thank you so so much!!! You have really lifted my spirits and you are absolutely correct!!!! Bless you!
Latest post on 21 April 2015 - 20:33
Unfortunately in this region, it is still very much 'who you know' and its very difficult to get something by relying on the internet / recruitment agents. I think the fact that you've had 10 interviews shows that your profile is strong (I know loads of people who would be happy to get any interview to keep them motivated during an incredibly frustrating process). Within my circle of friends, almost everyone who has found a job in Dubai, has done so via knowing someone who has a high position (or someone who knows someone else who might be able to help). I think this is the best way - don't feel bad / proud by asking everyone you know (and ask DH to do the same with all his friends and colleagues and I'm pretty sure something will work out for you....you also stand a far better chance of being successful at interview if you are a warm rather than cold candidate. Some big organisations also have incentive schemes to refer friends for vacancies as statistically this provides a bit of quality control around candidates. Good luck and keep trying - the big benefit you have is that all companies, regardless of sector, requires experienced HR people!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY