We are a Greek couple moving to Doha. Anyone in hospitality? | ExpatWoman.com

We are a Greek couple moving to Doha. Anyone in hospitality?

Latest post on 23 April 2015 - 17:31

Hello Ladies, i need your advice and experience. We are moving to Doha with my husband next year. I am working in a 5* hotel opening soon and he is a chef. I am concerned how life is there for a young, working woman. Is there anything i need to be aware of? Bearing in mind that i'm used to life in London. How expensive is life there compared to London and what would be an acceptable package (salary, benefits).

Latest post on 30 April 2015 - 15:41
Thank you ever so much ladies! I really appreciate your detailed comments. Since accommodation is provided as well as meals then i suppose it's reasonable that salary will be less than London where we have to pay for everything. We will both be most likely in Senior positions. Do you have any idea how these accommodations look like? I mean if the provide one only for myself and my husband would it be up to standards? I have no idea how houses might be over there. But i am now learning arabic and i am so looking forward to our move! is the weather tolerable?
Latest post on 26 April 2015 - 09:14
Senior staff in hospitality won't get paid more than about USD 3,000-4,000 per month (more if you're actually running the place or your husband is an Executive chef). They will normally get accommodation provided though. People I've spoken to in hospitality have said the wages are better in London (this isn't the top, top levels though). Slightly more junior but above the server level would be on more like 2k a month, possibly with food included. Acceptable package just isn't possible to say without more information - it's not a high paid industry and everything depends on what you do within it. It is an industry that expects you to be willing to move around a lot though so you will probably just need to accept it.
Latest post on 25 April 2015 - 08:17
The majority of 5*employees are Asian. Any European employees are usually in senior positions. To my understanding, many are working for about USD1,000/month plus shared accommodation (this would be servers, front desk/reception, back of house staff, etc.) I have no idea what senior staff would command.