Whatts App calling for I phone. | ExpatWoman.com

Whatts App calling for I phone.

Latest post on 25 April 2015 - 18:15

Hi All.

So we now have the function to call from Whatts app that seems to work periodically...

any one else tried it out and have feedback?

Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 13:13
If V P N isn't legal then will I get in trouble using it?? Or is it something that a lot of people do without getting caught? I'm new to so much so a bit naive and worried about certain things, especially getting in trouble!!! ?
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 12:36
My whatsapp calling didn't work on data plan, only on wi-fi. When I spoke on Whatsapp or Skype with my kids in Europe and Canada, they were on data plan. Only here seems to work only on wi-fi the whatsapp calling. <em>edited by simoralu44 on 10/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 12:28
when you use whatsapp for calling does it only come off your data?
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 11:44
For it to work do both callers need to be in a WIFI area? TIA
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 11:30
Sorry, we're giving out of date information. I think for most of us, when we went to download Skype that was the case. I didn't know it had changed. No need to be sorry :) Yes, used to be blocked years ago...
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 11:00
Sorry, we're giving out of date information. I think for most of us, when we went to download Skype that was the case. I didn't know it had changed.
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 10:54
Once you have the calling enabled on Whatsapp, calling while on wi-fi connection is not a problem. Also, I don't get why people are advised to download Skype before they arrive here...Skype website is no longer blocked here, you can download Skype and use it for computer to computer or computer to mobile or mobile to mobile, and I am not talking here about calling with Skype credit! Viber still works, Oovoo works, but all mostly while on wi-fi not on data plan.
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 10:42
I echo what mrs13b said. Skype to Skype is fine (make sure you have it before you arrive in the UAE) but you may need a VPN (it's not swearing!) to call phones from your Skype account. I've had mixed success with Whatsapp calling. I've not had a lot of luck calling a friend in the UAE but had perfect calls with DH when he's been overseas. Bear in mind it's not allowed to use VPNs here...... <em>edited by Sanddy_Dogg on 10/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 09:51
Hi ladies, I am moving to Dubai in August, what is the best way to contact people back home in the UK if what's app is blocked?? Is there other things that are blocked like FaceTime or Skype?? Why are these blocked?? Just wishing to plan ahead and tell people to download apps if necessary! Thanks in advance! I use Skype and Viber to call back home, without the need to use a V P N. I believe facetime still works, it just doesn't come pre-installed on devices sold in the UAE and can't be downloaded. I would recommend downloading a V P N to your laptops/iPads etc before you move (especially so you can still watch shows from back home - TV here leaves a lot to be desired).
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 09:23
I did the same as lafalot and called my friend in the States and the connection was so clear. I don't have anything magical on my phone and Facetime is blocked but this seemed to work :) Makes such a difference to get hold of friends and family.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 02:38
Hi ladies, I am moving to Dubai in August, what is the best way to contact people back home in the UK if what's app is blocked?? Is there other things that are blocked like FaceTime or Skype?? Why are these blocked?? Just wishing to plan ahead and tell people to download apps if necessary! Thanks in advance!
Latest post on 26 April 2015 - 18:49
I pressed the wrong button and ended up calling my mum. Had a lovely chat then hung up with no problems. I don't have a *** and not sure how they enforce the ban but it worked for me (accidently!)
Latest post on 26 April 2015 - 18:36
I also called the UK and some local calls today with no issues..(no V*N)
Latest post on 26 April 2015 - 12:30
But are you using a *** for that? Or a local connection. I guess it'll be hit and miss, but the TRA stance on it is clear.
Latest post on 26 April 2015 - 12:27
I managed to use it last night to call the UK!
Latest post on 26 April 2015 - 09:43
It's blocked in the UAE as per TRA Voip calling regulations i.e. they're not allowed.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY