Seriously EW Admin .. ? | ExpatWoman.com

Seriously EW Admin .. ?

Latest post on 26 April 2015 - 21:55

I really do remember the "good old days" on EW, they seem so long ago today!
I had my request for a maid agency closed down and told to advertise on Classifieds - Im not looking for a FT or live in Maid, just a legal service that I can pay for on an hourly (or 4) basis.
What with the lack of friendliness and the thumbs down for even asking a query or for help, this isn't a great website any more.
My time is limited ... good luck to those who hang around, this USED to be a good forum!

Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 14:16
Hi All, Thanks for the feedback. We only delete posts that go against the rules of the forum or the UAE. We do sometimes get contacted by people or companies to delete posts which we do within reason. We also delete spam and suspected spam as we know you all dislike that. The admin team simply follow the rules of the forum... we will do a retraining to make sure things aren't getting deleted that shouldn't be and sorry for any inconvenience caused. HTH EW Admin
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 13:30
Chezmoi, what you say makes perfect sense and I doubt anyone would disagree. However, deleted posts are not necessarily defamatory. So we can't post honest reviews of advertiser's services, for example. EW used to be a community, but now it is a business. edited by rawla on 28/04/2015 Yes, agree not all comments about businesses are removed for being defamatory, some honest reviews conflict with their business affiliations but my comment is about my objection to personal defamation of the kind we have seen recently all too often.
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 13:08
I see what you mean. My dentist suggestion appears to have disappeared!! If we can't give personal experiences and help new people arriving, what's the point!! <em>edited by Geordie expat on 28/04/2015</em>
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 12:55
Chezmoi, what you say makes perfect sense and I doubt anyone would disagree. However, deleted posts are not necessarily defamatory. So we can't post honest reviews of advertiser's services, for example. EW used to be a community, but now it is a business. edited by rawla on 28/04/2015
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 02:10
In view of the UAE law on defamation that carries a potential sentence of 2 years or 20k fine, I guess admin have no option but err on the side of caution since they can be legally held as party to the crime of defamation for being the instrument of the offence, they are walking on eggshells too, hence the frequently deleted comments. Under UAE law (Article 372 of UAE Federal Law No. 3 of 1987) that was amended recently to include the internet, any comment posted publicly in written or spoken form (anonymously or not) that humiliates a person to a third parties or parties, regardless of true or not, can be regarded as defamatory. Even a criticism can be regarded as defamatory if it exceeds the "normal limits" or affects the honour of a defamed individual. ([url=www.clydeco.hk/insight/updates/view/defamation-and-social-media-in-the-uae '>link[/url'>) The same law applies to individuals, when it comes to those who make defamatory remarks toward other individuals online and stoop to deriding and insulting another person via the ‘anonymity’ of the internet. Sadly the forum has not been exempt from that either, there is an small element who repeatedly seem to feel they are free to aim offensive words and derogatory remarks towards other posters, usually it’s just because they disagree over some topic, but instead of having a fair exchange of views they often go as far as using lewd and offensive personal slurs to denigrate the other poster's character and intellect in their attempt to negate the other’s viewpoint. Even the introduction of the thumbs seems to have done nothing to lessen this sort of negative interaction. Not surprisingly many have left the forum, some people are repeatedly harangued. It’s nothing short of childish nit picking but when they aim words like eejit and moron at others and make deriding references to people’s mental intellect they need to know that they are stepping onto the wrong side of the law. It’s certainly apt that UAE laws of defamation regulate aspects of slander online, as do the laws of most countries of the world: it’s sad to think there are those whose perspective runs opposite.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 11:14
It is only slander when it is incorrect, even I saw a post the other day about a certain school, which seemed like good honest feedback, and it was quickly removed - it is walking on egg shells to have an honest opinion. I don't post very often on here, just like to see what everyone is saying, but I do believe there are some certain users that seem to get away with more than others, in a round about way promote many things, yet their post never get deleted. I appreciate there are rules, but all opinions of people should be able to be expressed whether they have a good or back experience or a good or bad recommendation. I'd love to agree re Slander when incorrect but the media laws are very strict on this, so the forum has to be regulated re this aspect. One just has to be careful with how one answers nowadays sadly.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 10:47
There was an other thread about some salon, that advertise regularly with EW and also used to get good recommendations, however when me and a few other posters posted some recent horrible experiences at the same salon- our thread was deleted within Mins. RIP expat woman !!!! edited by smartee on 26/04/2015 That's different - naming and shaming on social media isn't actually allowed and you can be sued for slander and defamation, that;s why your threads get deleted when you do that. Exactly FairyDust!! Jeez, complaining about the lack of interesting threads and how EW 'used' to be isn't exactly going to achieve the creation of interesting threads!? I wasn't around when EW 'used' to be what it is, but do you know what probably makes EW boring? People complaining about boring EW is!!
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 10:37
It is only slander when it is incorrect, even I saw a post the other day about a certain school, which seemed like good honest feedback, and it was quickly removed - it is walking on egg shells to have an honest opinion. I don't post very often on here, just like to see what everyone is saying, but I do believe there are some certain users that seem to get away with more than others, in a round about way promote many things, yet their post never get deleted. I appreciate there are rules, but all opinions of people should be able to be expressed whether they have a good or back experience or a good or bad recommendation.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 10:33
So thumbing down because I'm giving the explanation as to why? Seriously? Ridiculous. Some people need to get a life. Those are UAE LAWS!!!! Pick up a paper once in a while. <em>edited by FairyDust on 27/04/2015</em>
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 10:16
There was an other thread about some salon, that advertise regularly with EW and also used to get good recommendations, however when me and a few other posters posted some recent horrible experiences at the same salon- our thread was deleted within Mins. RIP expat woman !!!! edited by smartee on 26/04/2015 That's different - naming and shaming on social media isn't actually allowed and you can be sued for slander and defamation, that;s why your threads get deleted when you do that.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 10:10
Agreed! Lots of threads on here with tipping etiquette etc. About 2 weeks or so ago I posted a thread about visiting a salon that's highly recommended here. I wanted to tip and the receptionist said its not allowed. Came back here to check if that's the case with regular clients of the salon on this forum and I never saw that thread again. I don't see what I did wrong?
Latest post on 26 April 2015 - 23:08
I agree. I would have been lost when I moved here had it not been for this forum. You could get the scoop on anything instantly. It has changed so much in the last year. :(
Latest post on 26 April 2015 - 22:25
There was an other thread about some salon, that advertise regularly with EW and also used to get good recommendations, however when me and a few other posters posted some recent horrible experiences at the same salon- our thread was deleted within Mins. RIP expat woman !!!! <em>edited by smartee on 26/04/2015</em>
Latest post on 26 April 2015 - 22:21
I do not understand the thumbing down part either.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY