Tablets at schools | ExpatWoman.com

Tablets at schools

Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 11:29
I’m horrified that schools are using ipads for such young children, what on earth is education coming to?
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 09:33
Update- school sent a survey yesterday about iPad use in education & the fee (surprise surprise, loool) I mentioned that I am not happy with the fee & it is very young for fs students to use iPads for education. I also mentioned that I don't like the idea of children keeping the iPads with them at home. DS is in fs2, so he doesn't get the iPad to take it back home, but at pick up I see older children with their iPads around the school sitting together & playing games. There were concerns list one of them was concentration & getting too involved with iPad & not listening to parents. Another one was related to behaviour, frustration & anger. I ticked all as potential concerns once my child get to keep the iPad full time.
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 08:30
Paying 2000 dhs for a school ipad is unreasonable. It's practically the cost of the ipad and you won't even own it at the end. If they want to use them it really should be budgeted and included in the school fees. When I was in school and kindergarten I didn't have to pay extra for the use of a computer (in the 80's it was a luxury not all kindergartens had them). I also disagree with schools having young students (fs1 till y3 age) bring their own ipad in. It is an expensive device and children are prone to breaking and loosing things. (Could also get stolen). The school should have their own iPads and let students without one share one of the schools ones. I had some very bad experiences in university sharing my laptop for using blackboard and an ebook with laptop-less students. It creates potential for nosey students to poke thru photos, personal emails,and social media, not to mention people thinking they are being cheeky and replying to personal messages and modifying statuses. In addition people who don't wash their hands (especially after eating crisps) can make the keys and screen oily. It's not that I am against the concept of sharing, but I believe a device like an ipad is personal and need not be shared with anyone if it's your own device. If it's loaned by the school then it shouldn't be used for personal purposes so sharing is fine.
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 07:31
Our eldest child is in Year 4 and we've never been asked to buy a tablet or pay for usage of one, it's all included. We don't pay for books either. Between our three children at school we pay over 150k a year in school fees, I'd be pretty unhappy if we had to pay for IT or books on top of that! I'm laughing because the word YET is still very possible as you know.........lol Haha! I thought that as I wrote it too. IT and books could definitely go the way of lunches and all ECAs ;)
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 21:21
I’m of the opinion that schools should not be using IPads if they cannot afford to purchase and regulate them their selves. In reality there is no need to have iPads in schools it’s a luxury and if the schools cannot budget and afford them then they can live without them.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 21:18
Our eldest child is in Year 4 and we've never been asked to buy a tablet or pay for usage of one, it's all included. We don't pay for books either. Between our three children at school we pay over 150k a year in school fees, I'd be pretty unhappy if we had to pay for IT or books on top of that! I'm laughing because the word YET is still very possible as you know.........lol
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 16:59
They didnt ask us for any fees but the school only had a few iPads at the beginning of the year and have since seemed to have given up on acquiring any more. They have certain activities they use tablets on but I don't think they're branded. I'd rather buy an iPad than rent one especially at 2000 dhs per year, and as far as sharing if that's required then they should share the fees as well, that's my opinion. Each student has his own iPad labelled and kept at school from fs1- Y3, from Y4+ It stays with the students, all are iPads with educational apps & most apps are paid.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 16:55
We do not pay extra for tablet/IT usage. I find it quite ridiculous and greedy that your school asks extra! Our school's fee is reasonable compared to other IB schools, with small number of students per class. From what I've read here it's either included within the fee or they ask the students to get their own. I was just curious to see what other schools do when I read the article in the National.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 16:01
They didnt ask us for any fees but the school only had a few iPads at the beginning of the year and have since seemed to have given up on acquiring any more. They have certain activities they use tablets on but I don't think they're branded. I'd rather buy an iPad than rent one especially at 2000 dhs per year, and as far as sharing if that's required then they should share the fees as well, that's my opinion.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 15:34
We do not pay extra for tablet/IT usage. I find it quite ridiculous and greedy that your school asks extra!
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 13:09
Our eldest child is in Year 4 and we've never been asked to buy a tablet or pay for usage of one, it's all included. We don't pay for books either. Between our three children at school we pay over 150k a year in school fees, I'd be pretty unhappy if we had to pay for IT or books on top of that!
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 12:53
I know in 2 different schools here the kids used ipads in class and have not been asked to bring them in or "lease" them from the schools. All included in school fees (as it should be since it's not optional!).
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 12:52
At my children's school, it is required from Year 1. My children each have an IPad and I have been told that for the children who don't have IPads, they are required to share theirs. I'd prefer to provide the iPad rather than paying an annual fee, this is why I am asking. We don't pay for books until middle school but all my friends pay for books at other schools. I don't know what is the norm when it comes to additional fees. My aunt told me that they asked them to provide the iPad & it's from Y3, but at our school the annual fee is paid from FS1. It was AED 1000 last year but this year we paid AED 2000 <em>edited by wickedangel_78 on 27/04/2015</em>
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 12:42
Android tablets are better than ipads anyway !! lol We don't use them at our school yet so sorry I can't answer Yeah they are better, but not all school apps work on android I guess. We were also asked for covers & headphones. At our school we pay the fee from FS1 !! <em>edited by wickedangel_78 on 27/04/2015</em>
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 12:33
At my children's school, it is required from Year 1. My children each have an IPad and I have been told that for the children who don't have IPads, they are required to share theirs.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 12:01
Android tablets are better than ipads anyway !! lol We don't use them at our school yet so sorry I can't answer
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 12:01
We don't pay anything it is all provided by school. They use a tablet/laptop/pc when the teacher thinks it's useful. I really don't like the idea of primary children being "forced" to buy/use a certain brand at all.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 11:53
I don't think a school should dictate which brand tablet a child should bring to school. Not everyone can afford an Ipad.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 11:39
7daysindubai.com/why-do-primary-school-pupils-need-a-top-tablet/61003 This got me thinking, do you pay a fee to your school for tablet usage at school? Or are you asked to provide the tablet to your children? My cousin was asked to bring an iPad to school (Y3). But at our school we pay AED 2000 per year for usage /technology without owning the tablets What is the norm in other schools? P.S. This is not debate about using tablets at school/ for education. <em>edited by wickedangel_78 on 27/04/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY