Help - moving to Dubai and need some advice about prescription drugs that I'm on | ExpatWoman.com

Help - moving to Dubai and need some advice about prescription drugs that I'm on

Latest post on 04 May 2015 - 02:24
if you bring prescription pills just enough for a shorter stay (3-4 weeks max), I do not think that anyone would notice or question you. I always have strong sleeping pills with me,that you cannot get here, no one ever looked at it. I'm sorry Dentro, but this is terrible advice! There have been many cases of people being jailed for having prescription medication through the airport. One case was an older British lady who had co-codamol with her after a recent back operation. She was jailed for SIX WEEKS while her doctor in the UK was contacted and provided proper paperwork to satisfy the authorities. OP, the procedure with prescription medication that is on the controlled list here is:- - Prescription & letter signed/stamped by your Dr - Notarised - Legalised by Ministry of Foreign Affairs or equivalent in your home country - attested by UAE Embassy in your home country only then, can you walk through the airport with a clear conscience! Thanks for all your replies - I think I'd better play it safe and not bring the co-codomol!
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 06:43
if you bring prescription pills just enough for a shorter stay (3-4 weeks max), I do not think that anyone would notice or question you. I always have strong sleeping pills with me,that you cannot get here, no one ever looked at it. I'm sorry Dentro, but this is terrible advice! There have been many cases of people being jailed for having prescription medication through the airport. One case was an older British lady who had co-codamol with her after a recent back operation. She was jailed for SIX WEEKS while her doctor in the UK was contacted and provided proper paperwork to satisfy the authorities. OP, the procedure with prescription medication that is on the controlled list here is:- - Prescription & letter signed/stamped by your Dr - Notarised - Legalised by Ministry of Foreign Affairs or equivalent in your home country - attested by UAE Embassy in your home country only then, can you walk through the airport with a clear conscience!
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 21:46
I do not agree with frankerber, it is not that easy to get arrested in dubai. Especially not for poppy seeds you ate. if you bring prescription pills just enough for a shorter stay (3-4 weeks max), I do not think that anyone would notice or question you. I always have strong sleeping pills with me,that you cannot get here, no one ever looked at it. Call life pharmacy, they have 24 hours home delivery, and try to order your medications pretending you live here, say you live in downtown. You will get a yes/ no answer on availability then. Call +971 4 344 11 22. Most medicine is available without having any prescription, except some sleeping pills and very strong pain killers. For health insurance covering existing conditions, it depends on what policy the company subscribed for and how big the company is. For 100+ companies, they usually do "medical history disregard" and they cover your chronic conditions with a few exceptions (cancer, etc). Best if you write to the hr of your new employer, name your medical condition and list the medication, so they can check direct with the insurance representative.
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 15:48
one thing you need to also find out is weather you can get those medications in Dubai. I am sure you can bring some,along with your prescription but yea look at above list as some meds are banned and you could land in Jail (as did the guy who had a few poppy seeds on him from a bread roll he ate before his flight LOL) Unless you are ok with switching pain meds make 100% sure those are available in the UAE...I was taking some meds for years and then could not get them in Dubai. First I was not worried cause every pharmacy told me "sure sure" when I asked if I could get those meds in the UAE . (in the UAE people never seem to know anything but will always give you a positive answer for some reason)
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 14:59
There is a list of banned substances on the government website plus a phone number to call http://dubai.usconsulate.gov/banned_items.html
Latest post on 27 April 2015 - 13:07
Can anyone assist please? I am moving to Dubai at the end of May and am currently being prescribed pregabalin for my back problem and naproxen for my hip. Is it ok for me to bring a supply with me and what happens with company health insurance for ongoing prescription drugs? I know my new job supplies health insurance, and as I am new I don't really want to ask detail prior to me joining the company! I also have been prescribed co-codomol and Zapain for pain relief, but I know that I can't bring that over as I'd be arrested! All advice welcome!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY