Buying a property in Brittany | ExpatWoman.com

Buying a property in Brittany

Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 15:23
We bought a place 11years ago in France. Have a look at www.greenacres.com These place are for sale through the owners, so hopefully you will avoid having to pay the agents fees ( in France to buyer pays these ) Thanks for this I'm looking now. I did see a few on rightmove which said 'fees paid'
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 14:37
We bought a place 11years ago in France. Have a look at www.greenacres.com These place are for sale through the owners, so hopefully you will avoid having to pay the agents fees ( in France to buyer pays these )
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 13:22
Thanks for your advice Tallybalt. I have been looking at properties around there. Being able to walk to local shops and bars is one of my main priorities as that's exactly what we'll be doing when we retire :biggrin: Yes NL I was VERY surprised at the prices :biggrin:
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 13:19
There's a nice sized British expat community in Dinan, which is also a lovely town. Popular with tourists, which will help out when the property is being used as a holiday let. I would think if you wanted a property that can be used as a holiday let, pick a popular tourist town so people can walk to restaurants and shops, or a place along the coastline. Brittany is a lovely part of France. Hmm....already salivating over memories of those fab apple pastries and Calvados and seafood.
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 13:11
Ohhh, very nice properties and reasonably priced (just looked at Right Move)! Mr NL also carries a French passport. Hmmm . . . :lol:
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 11:56
P S our budget may go as far as one room in the mansion ;) Although looking on Rightmove I am surprised how much you can get for a reasonable price :)
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 11:50
Thanks for the link NL. Mr GE has travelled around Brittany numerous times and likes all of it, so not a good start :confused: We're planning on spending our next few holidays out there looking around to try and narrow the search down a little.
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 11:38
Hi GE, I remembered reading a NYT article on this buying property in Brittany last autumn, and just found it. Here's the [url=http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/greathomesanddestinations/real-estate-in-brittany.html?_r=0 '>link[/url'> If you decide to buy the manor in the photo, I'll be one of your first clients! ;) Not to sound at all patronising, but have you travelled throughout Brittany, or in a certain area to help narrow down your search? Mr NL and I plan to buy a forever home in Spain. We're taking our upcoming holiday to drive though the region we've 'almost' agreed on, looking for the perfect-for-us village. He's Spanish (and I'm not) so I'm hopeful Mr NL can navigate us more easily through the cultural and legal hijinks ahead. Best of luck! NL
Latest post on 28 April 2015 - 10:19
I posted this in the Europe Forum yesterday, plenty of views, but no reponse. Anyone here able to help? We're looking at buying a property in Brittany, initially to run as a holiday let, but then to retire to in 5-8 years time. Does anyone have any good suggestions on where to start our search? I would like it close enough to a village to be able to walk to the shops. TIA

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY