Getting my head around schools and dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Getting my head around schools and dubai

Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 05:03

Hi ladies, I have 2 children in primary and one starting high school, we will be leaving Australia to make our move to Dubai this coming sept-dec. my husbands going to look at schools when he arrives after June but with Ramadan and holidays coming up it might be difficult. Am I right in saying I have my head around the areas located near the schools: victory heights PS, GEMS Silicon Oasis, GEMS first point; DESC, JESS Arabian Ranches... Are all within distance to each other if we live in Silicon Oasis. Our priority is school but we would still like an idea of where and type of community we will be in and if it's suitable. We like to keep active and go out on weekends etc. most importantly want to live in a family based community.
Then, if we were to go closer to town, near Al safa/jumeira/springs the schools to consider DIA emirates hills; EIS meadows; jumeira PS/college; greenfield community. I haven't heard much about these and not certain of travel with distance to my husbands work. Our budget give or take is 46K for primary and 70K for secondary. All kids academic, friendly and love school. I want to narrow down the schools some how so any advice/feedback would be great. Husband will be working in Warsan 3.

Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 01:26
Send me an email ([email protected]) and I will send you the list of schools that I researched last year. We ended up going to one of the French schools, but there are several English language schools that we would have been happy to send the kids too as well. Thank you spook, I will be in touch. Many thanks
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 01:25
Hi Oceanview... I am an Australian mum, living in Silicon Oasis and I am also a teacher. Have a pretty good understanding of the school situation and am happy to help. If you want to get in touch, let me know the best way to contact you. Cheers for now. edited by mrs_cobb on 03/05/2015 Thank you mrs_cobb I would love to get in contact email me at [email protected]
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 09:32
Its a source of great amazement to me how different the impact of the flight path is within different parts of Mirdif. Some areas you'd never consider due to the noise, others you hardly notice it. It's not a particularly big suburb, so I don't understand why it's so different ??? FYI Royal Dubai school does not offer secondary - most of the kids from there go on to WSO at Silicon Oasis. There is however Uptown (IB) and the Canadian school. Also Deira Internationaal and the American school a bit closer to Festival city. There are also two Australian schools in Sharjah, which are quite close to MIrdif, but be careful there of the commute - the traffic is a nightmare. I may get shot down here, but I'd choose Mirdif over Silicon as its a more varied community. Silicon villas are all very very similar, and most of the residents work for Emirates, so whilst they are family based, it can be a bit claustrophobic. It does however have lovely facilities and is much greener than Mirdif. MIrdif is very close to Warsan, and I'd put it first on your list - just check out the quieter parts!
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 09:13
Hi Oceanview... I am an Australian mum, living in Silicon Oasis and I am also a teacher. Have a pretty good understanding of the school situation and am happy to help. If you want to get in touch, let me know the best way to contact you. Cheers for now. <em>edited by mrs_cobb on 03/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 01 May 2015 - 14:27
Send me an email ([email protected]) and I will send you the list of schools that I researched last year. We ended up going to one of the French schools, but there are several English language schools that we would have been happy to send the kids too as well.
Latest post on 01 May 2015 - 12:18
Thank you again for your feedback. I have looked into DESC and Gems Wellington DSO for schooling I was just unsure as both of the schools look amazing and GEMS has great facilities but will my children get lost amongst it? Budget for accom sounds ok for 170k and I assume kids could walk or ride a bike (to GEMS).
Latest post on 30 April 2015 - 17:16
Thank you both. I'm yet to look into mirdif as an area to live in but have heard its on the flight path... Any feedback on that? Silicon oasis seemed a lovely community more established than the villa- would I be right in saying that? Do most of you with children in primary and secondary do the two different commutes? I will have a year 2, 5 and yr 7. TIA Mirdif is a very friendly community and you get so used to living close or under the flight path, as I am, there is a few schools including uptown and Ontario international Canadian School, My kids are in the Canadian school and loving it, Good luck with your search..
Latest post on 30 April 2015 - 10:19
DSO houses start around 170K aed p/a for a three bed, which are quite large. Gems DSO have a primary and secondary and would fit your fees, school is large. Also consider DESC for secondary which is very close to DSO and an excellent school, DESS is the sister primary school in Oud Metha, about 20 mins away. Also look at Hartland as sibing discounts for your primary children and later opening secondary, Kings Nad AL Sheba and the Mirdiff schools such as Uptown . <em>edited by Lolacat on 30/04/2015</em>
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 13:34
If your thinking of Silicon Oasis or Meydan or Mirdiff Kings' in Nad Al Sheba may be an option too.
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 13:29
Thank you both. I'm yet to look into mirdif as an area to live in but have heard its on the flight path... Any feedback on that? Silicon oasis seemed a lovely community more established than the villa- would I be right in saying that? Do most of you with children in primary and secondary do the two different commutes? I will have a year 2, 5 and yr 7. TIA
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 06:48
Welcome in advance! If your DH is working in Warsan there is not much point in living further away than you need to, there are some great communities within 10 minutes drive. DSO with Repton/Gems Wellington The Villa with FirstPoint Mirdif with Royal Dubai All are family friendly communities with children out playing and within a short drive to DH's work
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 05:50
I would take Greenfield Community off the list unless you are going to live in Greencom. The travel would be awful. You could also consider Repton as it is close to DSO. Uptown School in Mirdif would also be fairly close. Safa Community School would be just as close, if not closer, than Victory Heights. It is a new school and has the early secondary years so far. Not sure what years you are looking for. You could also consider living in Mirdif. There is Royal Dubai School there too - not sure if it has secondary. <em>edited by plum2 on 29/04/2015</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY