Tenant Nightmare | ExpatWoman.com

Tenant Nightmare

Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 11:39

I'm posting this for a friend who lives in JLT. She's been living a peaceful life in a very nice building for 2 years now and suddenly for the last few weeks, a tenant in one of the neighbouring apartments has been screaming and banging on the walls and slamming the doors in the early hours of the morning every morning. She has asked management to do something about it - to which they have replied there is nothing legally they can do. She has been forced to move out temporarily and other neighbours are following suit. Has anyone had experience with this? As JLT is a freezone, does it make any difference with tenancy law? What are her rights as a tenant in a building? What authority does she approach?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Latest post on 30 April 2015 - 10:49
My advice would be to tell her that persistence pays off... Talk to her neighbours, the security, keep ringing the police, her neighbours are in the wrong. Why should your friend have to be the one who suffers and moves when she has every right to be there and paying too!? Honestly noisy neighbours are the bane of my life. But I've always stood my ground... Your neighbour should too! During my time here in Dubai i've pretty much learnt standing my ground works, even if it takes a little while.
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 21:42
Thanks ladies. Apparently she's called the police twice and twice they've said they're coming and haven't shown up. Depends what you tell them the issue is
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 20:48
Just the other side of the coin here? I'd advise your friend to go the neighbor directly, if she knows which apartment it is. I had a similar situation and I was at first annoyed with sleep disruption and then...worried someone was possibly being abused. Same thing, screaming and banging. I tried to knock on the door when it was calm, but there was never an answer. So I left a note asking if everything was okay, and we were worried to point where we wanted to know if they need help or if we need to/should call the police. I received a note back with an apology; they had a special needs teenager and had no idea the walls were not keeping this noise contained--they were mortified. So you never know. Going straight to the cops is kind of ridiculous if you have not even tried to confront the neighbor to address the situation. And if your watchmen or security won't help you if you're scared to talk to them, that's also ridiculous.
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 17:04
Is it a single tenant or is there a couple/family there? If she's complaining about noisy neighbours it may not be a priority for the police. If she says she's worried it might be a domestic "incident" then that would probably be given a higher priority.
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 14:52
Thanks ladies. Apparently she's called the police twice and twice they've said they're coming and haven't shown up.
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 12:56
She needs to contact the owner of the apartment and tell them, that their tenant is being a nuisance to others. Building management are being ridiculous, 100% there's something they can do about it. Where I used to live in Mirdiff, 3 strikes and you were asked to leave. How does one go about finding out the name and contact details of the owner (if building security aren't cooperating?)
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 12:53
We have a similar issue, a new neighbour has a dog that howls during the day when it is left alone. I;m an animal lover so don't want to complain as i understand that the dog is lonely. Unfortunately it has now started to howl from around 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning and the owners don't seem to do anything about it! How are they sleeping through if it's howling at those times in the morning? You do need to speak to them about that. My dogs sometimes howl if something upsets them and I'm not their - it mortifies me.
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 12:42
We have a similar issue, a new neighbour has a dog that howls during the day when it is left alone. I;m an animal lover so don't want to complain as i understand that the dog is lonely. Unfortunately it has now started to howl from around 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning and the owners don't seem to do anything about it!
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 12:00
Has she spoken to the neighbor directly? If not, try this first then contact the LL and if that fails call the Police. I had to do this two years ago and after 6 months of speaking with the building security, the neighbor ( Very politely) I had to call the Police who came out to speak with them and it stopped Good Luck!
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 11:57
She needs to contact the owner of the apartment and tell them, that their tenant is being a nuisance to others. Building management are being ridiculous, 100% there's something they can do about it. Where I used to live in Mirdiff, 3 strikes and you were asked to leave.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY