Pocket Money | ExpatWoman.com

Pocket Money

Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 14:48

My daughter is 8-years old and we have not got round to giving her pocket money. Can anyone share their thoughts on how much they give and if there any any "duties" attached (e.g keeping their room tidy, helping load the dishwasher....)? Any other related thoughts and comments welcomed too!

Latest post on 01 May 2015 - 17:17
Yes,it seems to have worked for us.
Latest post on 01 May 2015 - 13:30
We give ours 10 dhs for every year they are.... So the 15 year old gets 150 dhs etc...it also gives them a bonus of an extra 10 dhs every year Stupid question (sorry!) - so does the 15 year old get 150AED/month? General thought - we would also think of adding a few "strings", like keeping her room tidy and for the money not to be used to buy sweets. She is expected to help around the house and does so quite happily, so we would probably not include doing chores as a pre-requisite to getting pocket money (yet ;-) )......
Latest post on 01 May 2015 - 13:19
Wow. That started a debate! My daughter helps around the house - tidies up after herself after a meal - and happily for others, helps load the dishwasher, knows how to set it.... things she needs to know if she is to be a functional, independent adult. Being kind and polite to the lady who helps around the house absolutely goes without saying.
Latest post on 30 April 2015 - 14:15
Im 23 so not that long ago I was expected to do chores for pocket money. I was given equivelent to 15 dhs a week from 8-12 years old, then was expected to babysit or do extra extra chores (such as washing the car), to make any money i wanted to, meanwhile still doing my household contribution. from 8-12 I had to assist in the kitchen with dinner prep 2x a week, either unload/load the dishwasher or wash the pots and pans 2-3x a week, help clean my room every saturday, and help with my laundry. from 12 till i moved out i had to do full dinner making 2x a week, full dishes 2x a week, vaccuum and clean my room every saturday, and clean a bathroom in the house every saturday. I was supposed to mow the lawn 1x a month as well, but managed to cut the cord once so that was stopped :P I also had to dust the living room 1x a month, and do ALL my own laundry. If i didn't then no clean clothes! i feel that without this I wouldn't be a well rounded adult, and would have a lot of trouble balancing work, cleaning, occasional cooking, and taking care of my husband. Kudos to the moms who make their children do chores! I was exactly the same, and now when I look back I thank my parents for making me do this, my husband is used to having maids around him all the tine from a very young age and its only with Patience and persistence from my father that he has now learnt how to do the odd jobs around the house, my sister in law cannot cook, wash or iron and that's not something I want for my daughters. We are fortunate at this time that we have help in the house what would happen if we are not so fortunate and do not have that help later on, my daughter has to know how to help around the house.
Latest post on 30 April 2015 - 12:59
Im 23 so not that long ago I was expected to do chores for pocket money. I was given equivelent to 15 dhs a week from 8-12 years old, then was expected to babysit or do extra extra chores (such as washing the car), to make any money i wanted to, meanwhile still doing my household contribution. from 8-12 I had to assist in the kitchen with dinner prep 2x a week, either unload/load the dishwasher or wash the pots and pans 2-3x a week, help clean my room every saturday, and help with my laundry. from 12 till i moved out i had to do full dinner making 2x a week, full dishes 2x a week, vaccuum and clean my room every saturday, and clean a bathroom in the house every saturday. I was supposed to mow the lawn 1x a month as well, but managed to cut the cord once so that was stopped :P I also had to dust the living room 1x a month, and do ALL my own laundry. If i didn't then no clean clothes! i feel that without this I wouldn't be a well rounded adult, and would have a lot of trouble balancing work, cleaning, occasional cooking, and taking care of my husband. Kudos to the moms who make their children do chores!
Latest post on 30 April 2015 - 12:42
My daughter is 8 almost 9 and we have a chore list and certain expectations that she has to comply with before she gets her pocket money, the chores mainly consist of making her bed, hanging out the washing, clearing the table and polishing the lounge, if she doesn't do it there is a deduction from her allowance. In regards to expectations, as I work I expect her to have had a shower by the time that I get home, her homework prepared for me to do with her, she has to be polite and considerate to the driver and nanny, go to bed on time and so on. This works for me but may not suit all, some of her friends are getting in excess of 1000aed A maid in the making - poor child..... As I said in my post what works for one child and family does not work for another, it was the way that I was raised and it has neither harmed me or my eldest daughter. My beautiful daughter also knows how to bake and cook and loves to spend time in the kitchen with me and outside "fixing" with her father, she is very much a child but responsibilities and the fact that money does not grow on trees needs to be taught to a child from a young age. Until you know my daughter or my family it would be best not to judge and as my mother always taught me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. Have a lovely weekend xx
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 21:18
My daughter is 8 almost 9 and we have a chore list and certain expectations that she has to comply with before she gets her pocket money, the chores mainly consist of making her bed, hanging out the washing, clearing the table and polishing the lounge, if she doesn't do it there is a deduction from her allowance. In regards to expectations, as I work I expect her to have had a shower by the time that I get home, her homework prepared for me to do with her, she has to be polite and considerate to the driver and nanny, go to bed on time and so on. This works for me but may not suit all, some of her friends are getting in excess of 1000aed I wish my mil was like you in the past, that would have definitely made my husband more responsible when it comes to house work!
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 21:07
Discipline will carry someone far in life. !! :) Whether I turned out well is relative, but I did all those things for free as a child!
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 16:50
My daughter is 8 almost 9 and we have a chore list and certain expectations that she has to comply with before she gets her pocket money, the chores mainly consist of making her bed, hanging out the washing, clearing the table and polishing the lounge, if she doesn't do it there is a deduction from her allowance. In regards to expectations, as I work I expect her to have had a shower by the time that I get home, her homework prepared for me to do with her, she has to be polite and considerate to the driver and nanny, go to bed on time and so on. This works for me but may not suit all, some of her friends are getting in excess of 1000aed A maid in the making - poor child..... JEAHA HA HA is back. So now teaching our kids how to help around the house make them a maid in the making... and you pity them? poor you
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 16:40
Of course an 8 year old is not an adult. A child doing chores, you see a maid in the making, I see a confident capable adult in the making. A child of 8 doing those kind of chores? Well, that's your opinion not mine.
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 16:37
Of course an 8 year old is not an adult. A child doing chores, you see a maid in the making, I see a confident capable adult in the making.
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 16:35
We give ours 10 dhs for every year they are.... So the 15 year old gets 150 dhs etc...it also gives them a bonus of an extra 10 dhs every year
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 16:30
No she is not, but she's perfectly capable of helping in the house which is what she is doing.
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 16:17
My daughter is 8 almost 9 and we have a chore list and certain expectations that she has to comply with before she gets her pocket money, the chores mainly consist of making her bed, hanging out the washing, clearing the table and polishing the lounge, if she doesn't do it there is a deduction from her allowance. In regards to expectations, as I work I expect her to have had a shower by the time that I get home, her homework prepared for me to do with her, she has to be polite and considerate to the driver and nanny, go to bed on time and so on. This works for me but may not suit all, some of her friends are getting in excess of 1000aed A maid in the making - poor child..... .....or a capable adult confidently able to look after herself and her home. Parents who send their children out in to the world without even a basic understanding of looking after themselves and their home are doing them a huge dis-service. An 8 year old is NOT an adult.
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 16:14
My daughter is 8 almost 9 and we have a chore list and certain expectations that she has to comply with before she gets her pocket money, the chores mainly consist of making her bed, hanging out the washing, clearing the table and polishing the lounge, if she doesn't do it there is a deduction from her allowance. In regards to expectations, as I work I expect her to have had a shower by the time that I get home, her homework prepared for me to do with her, she has to be polite and considerate to the driver and nanny, go to bed on time and so on. This works for me but may not suit all, some of her friends are getting in excess of 1000aed A maid in the making - poor child..... .....or a capable adult confidently able to look after herself and her home. Parents who send their children out in to the world without even a basic understanding of looking after themselves and their home are doing them a huge dis-service.
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 16:14
My daughter is 8 almost 9 and we have a chore list and certain expectations that she has to comply with before she gets her pocket money, the chores mainly consist of making her bed, hanging out the washing, clearing the table and polishing the lounge, if she doesn't do it there is a deduction from her allowance. In regards to expectations, as I work I expect her to have had a shower by the time that I get home, her homework prepared for me to do with her, she has to be polite and considerate to the driver and nanny, go to bed on time and so on. This works for me but may not suit all, some of her friends are getting in excess of 1000aed A maid in the making - poor child..... Where on earth do you get that from !!!!!!!!!! All I can see is a well brought up child in the making :) Oh for goodness sake - hanging out the washing and polishing the lounge? Expecting her to shower before she gets home? If I were a child, I would be terrified if done incorrectly at those, plus more work expected to do. Some I agree with, some I do not. Certainly would not expect my child to hang the washing! Back to 1950's England it seems. <em>edited by JEAHH45 on 29/04/2015</em>
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 16:07
My daughter is 8 almost 9 and we have a chore list and certain expectations that she has to comply with before she gets her pocket money, the chores mainly consist of making her bed, hanging out the washing, clearing the table and polishing the lounge, if she doesn't do it there is a deduction from her allowance. In regards to expectations, as I work I expect her to have had a shower by the time that I get home, her homework prepared for me to do with her, she has to be polite and considerate to the driver and nanny, go to bed on time and so on. This works for me but may not suit all, some of her friends are getting in excess of 1000aed A maid in the making - poor child..... Where on earth do you get that from !!!!!!!!!! All I can see is a well brought up child in the making :)
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 16:04
My daughter is 8 almost 9 and we have a chore list and certain expectations that she has to comply with before she gets her pocket money, the chores mainly consist of making her bed, hanging out the washing, clearing the table and polishing the lounge, if she doesn't do it there is a deduction from her allowance. In regards to expectations, as I work I expect her to have had a shower by the time that I get home, her homework prepared for me to do with her, she has to be polite and considerate to the driver and nanny, go to bed on time and so on. This works for me but may not suit all, some of her friends are getting in excess of 1000aed A maid in the making - poor child.....
Latest post on 29 April 2015 - 15:08
My daughter is 8 almost 9 and we have a chore list and certain expectations that she has to comply with before she gets her pocket money, the chores mainly consist of making her bed, hanging out the washing, clearing the table and polishing the lounge, if she doesn't do it there is a deduction from her allowance. In regards to expectations, as I work I expect her to have had a shower by the time that I get home, her homework prepared for me to do with her, she has to be polite and considerate to the driver and nanny, go to bed on time and so on. This works for me but may not suit all, some of her friends are getting in excess of 1000aed

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY