HELP from down under... to move or not to move....? | ExpatWoman.com

HELP from down under... to move or not to move....?

Latest post on 19 May 2015 - 01:02
WE ARE Moving
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 09:01
It's none of those. Qatar Airways is always hiring but the pay is low (although actually ok for aviation and of course there's the ID90s to boost the pay - flights out of here are expensive so they're worth quite a bit). Which bit of aviation? Entry level HR is going to be difficult to get into and the salaries are also low. If you've got any administrative experience you'd be better looking at office manager / receptionist type roles. Money's not great but the salary is usually better than for a similar position in the UK (not sure about Aus).
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 09:08
Workplace culture varies so much though - I've worked at a couple of places here and there is no similarity in the culture whatsoever. What does your husband do? How easy it is to find a job in Qatar is really dependent on sector. There are significant layoffs in oil and gas at the moment and most (but not all) governmental entities have either hiring freezes or go slows on hiring. I know what mrsw2 does and it's fairly unlikely your husband is doing the same job but I don't want to disclose the sector in case she's maintaining some semblance that everyone on here doesn't know who she is :)
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 11:56
I love it here so much I came back for a second time. I think Doha/Qatar is what you make it. Sure you ahve to look for things to do but there are things out there if you make the effort to look hard enough. My kids have met people from all over the world and have far more intrenational outlook that we would ever have had at home (UK). Nursery provision is pretty good here - certainly there is far more availability than there was when I arrived in 2007. Yes traffic is horrific and it's defintitely not Dubai. But I like that. I work full time here and I see my family far more than I would working full time in the UK. I think if you are seriously considering Doha you need to look at what it will cost to live here - set a budget and a lifestyle and see if it works then take it from there. By life style I mean are you going to eat in the 5* brunches every weekend or are you happy eating out in other non hotel restuarants? What kind of hosue do you want - compound, apartment, villa? What about nursery or will you be at home? Do you want help at home? I don;t think there is any point being here and not having fun, so we don't save every last penny, but that's our choice. We travel a bit from here a couple of times a year at least. We are so much closer to so many palces we would probably not visit otherwise. Doha is not an easy place to live but I don't think anywhere new is that easy to be honest. It has its own quirks (and there are lots of them) and some days you will hate it and wonder what on earth you are doing here especially in the first few months. As for life with toddlers - as long as you are happy to get out there and meet people you'll be fine. Doha Mums is a very active group with lots of activities and playgroups you can join. Hey Mrs w2 just wondering what industry you work in and did you find it difficult to get a job in Doha?. thanks for your reply :))
Latest post on 04 May 2015 - 14:41
My 2cents, This question in many forms has been asked many times in this and other similar forums and many people have replied in +ve and -ve ways, showed the pros and cons on many different points. But till now I have not seen a single remark on the work culture or office environment. May be for most of the people over here, their office environment would be great or the work culture would be great. But for my husband and many people who work in other companies here, to whom I have talked to, have a very –ve opinion on it. The work culture IS NOT like anything you would expect in western or developed countries. It is very frustrating and very limited to absolutely none, to show your real talent. I feel while deciding to accept the job or not gather as much information as possible on the work culture and the office environment. To describe the job in Qatar, in a single sentence would be “all that glitters are not gold”. But again people have different priorities in life. You should do what is best for you and your family. Good luck. <em>edited by happy_feet on 04/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 04 May 2015 - 14:21
I love it here so much I came back for a second time. I think Doha/Qatar is what you make it. Sure you ahve to look for things to do but there are things out there if you make the effort to look hard enough. My kids have met people from all over the world and have far more intrenational outlook that we would ever have had at home (UK). Nursery provision is pretty good here - certainly there is far more availability than there was when I arrived in 2007. Yes traffic is horrific and it's defintitely not Dubai. But I like that. I work full time here and I see my family far more than I would working full time in the UK. I think if you are seriously considering Doha you need to look at what it will cost to live here - set a budget and a lifestyle and see if it works then take it from there. By life style I mean are you going to eat in the 5* brunches every weekend or are you happy eating out in other non hotel restuarants? What kind of hosue do you want - compound, apartment, villa? What about nursery or will you be at home? Do you want help at home? I don;t think there is any point being here and not having fun, so we don't save every last penny, but that's our choice. We travel a bit from here a couple of times a year at least. We are so much closer to so many palces we would probably not visit otherwise. Doha is not an easy place to live but I don't think anywhere new is that easy to be honest. It has its own quirks (and there are lots of them) and some days you will hate it and wonder what on earth you are doing here especially in the first few months. As for life with toddlers - as long as you are happy to get out there and meet people you'll be fine. Doha Mums is a very active group with lots of activities and playgroups you can join.
Latest post on 04 May 2015 - 07:49
Doha is not Dubai in 2003 (or even 2000 when I first stepped off the airplane). Dubai had/has public beaches within easy access - none in Doha City unless you belong to a hotel and even then the choice is poor IMHO. Traffic is insane and getting worse. Dubai has never seen anything like quality and quantity of idjits on the road here even while they were building the metro. Life is what you make it wherever you go, however, your options are very limited here in comparison with Dubai even 15 years ago. I don't mean to be negative but these are the facts on the ground here - I've met others who have lived in Dubai who had problems adjusting (some couldn't) to life in Doha. edited by marycatherine on 03/05/2015 no its fine! obviously I don't want it sugar coated at all and of course everyone has different opinions and situations and experiences....that said crazy how far behind Doha is! but on the bright side its not Saudi either which has been a minor consideration as well. <em>edited by Mrs pink on 04/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 08:25
Doha is not Dubai in 2003 (or even 2000 when I first stepped off the airplane). Dubai had/has public beaches within easy access - none in Doha City unless you belong to a hotel and even then the choice is poor IMHO. Traffic is insane and getting worse. Dubai has never seen anything like quality and quantity of idjits on the road here even while they were building the metro. Life is what you make it wherever you go, however, your options are very limited here in comparison with Dubai even 15 years ago. I don't mean to be negative but these are the facts on the ground here - I've met others who have lived in Dubai who had problems adjusting (some couldn't) to life in Doha. <em>edited by marycatherine on 03/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 02 May 2015 - 10:45
You are going to think me a real misery, but we moved from brisbane to dubai for exactly the same reason - DH made redundant and the lure of the dollars. What we did not even consider, is that you can be made redundant in the UAE too. But unlike home, you lose your sponsor visa, and all those lovely allowances that keep you in a home and let your kids have a half decent education. 30 days is not long to find a new job, or go back home and start again. Saying all that, your children are not in need of schooling yet,so you have time to give it a go. In hindsight, I wish we had never left Australia, as it is a real gamble. Whatever you decide, good luck to you and your family.
Latest post on 01 May 2015 - 19:09
THIS IS NOT DUBAI by any stretch of the imagination. If you are imagining your lifestyle in Dubai as being on par with Doha you will be mistaken. Doha is in a perpetual state of trying to catch up while being more restrictive (not necessarily a bad thing) than Dubai. There are fewer entertainment and outdoor activities to choose from. Certainly you can see the entire country in less than 6 hours and there's not much of a variety to choose from. Only you can decide if it's a good fit for your family, but you will need guaranteed school places in a school acceptable to you, housing (it's rising every day) as well as the rest of the expat package. Without them, don't come, it's not worth it - certainly if you can't get by with only the coffee mornings alone.
Latest post on 30 April 2015 - 17:10
Can't imagine why anyone would move from Sydney unless they had to!! There are things to do with small children, but Doha is not an easy place, and certainly the things you can enrich your life with in Sydney will be far greater than Doha. The money is great, but for me, a life is much more important, if you have a choice. Just my thoughts. <em>edited by catonclan on 30/04/2015</em>
Latest post on 30 April 2015 - 14:27
If you have guaranteed school places and fees paid, absolutely yes do it.