Mum of 1 moving to Dubai from the UK | ExpatWoman.com

Mum of 1 moving to Dubai from the UK

Latest post on 01 May 2015 - 17:27

Hi

We are planning a move to Dubai in 8 weeks from the UK ,(Nervous as dont know anyone) Ive got a 7 month baby girl Alaina .
I wanted to know what areas are good for a family with young kids, and what nurseries/ mum and baby groups are available for a 9 month old ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Latest post on 04 May 2015 - 11:30
The Greens is great and many families live there with easy access to some cafes and convenience stores. The metro stations are approx 15 mins walk (depending where you are) so you would need to rely on taxi's in the hotter months. The main road you would need to cross to get to Internet City station has traffic signals so has always been very safe to cross for me. I do this walk at least once or twice a week as i use the metro station bridge to get to Media City. The walk to Nakheel station is an easy walk but it is across sand at some points so may be a bit tricky with a pram.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 14:04
Agree - although the greens is great, it is a long walk to the metro (and across a dangerous road) JBR / Marina is much easier to walk around and to get the the supermarket / cafes / lunch dates / beach
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 11:46
If your husband works in Business Bay then I would suggest Executive towers too. many families with children, nice outdoorplayground. A friend of me lives there with 2 children and she said, even during the hot months, it is great because many airconditioned areas so no need to drive somewhere. Business bay is close to the lovely downtown area (Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall) so during the nice months you could take nice walks.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 10:00
With a baby but no car I would look at areas which have as much as possible that you can do without getting in a car otherwise you will feel isolated (unless you are happy to get about in taxis without a car seat or only booking taxis with car seats in them). I would suggest JBR / Marina or Downtown. There will be a tram system opening up pretty soon in Downtown. Although there are a few shops that you can walk to, I think the Greens would be quite limiting and quite a walk to the Metro.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 09:45
If you're looking at apartments then consider the Executive Towers in Business Bay. The apartments are pretty spacious and there is a good community feel in the area as there are playgrounds, cafes, restaurants, supermarkets and running track, etc, which are part of the development and very popular. There is also a nursery within Executive Towers which might be useful and the metro is walking distance.
Latest post on 02 May 2015 - 21:26
Off topic~ Welcome back marroosh :)
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 02 May 2015 - 20:13
The Greens is, depending on what side you live, either closer to Nakheel station or Internet City. There is a feeder bus from the Greens to Internet City MS. In summer heat I would not recommend you walk, especially with a baby. There are 2 other busses running from the Greens, bus 93 and F31 I believe. Bus 93 will take you to Mall of the Emirates, the other goes to the Meadows/Springs residential areas. You will have a supermarket and quite a few restaurants in the Greens which is nice.
Latest post on 02 May 2015 - 13:19
Not really, as it is a walkable area. You will just need to become reliant on taxi's to get to other places, as I am not sure the Greens has a metro station
Latest post on 02 May 2015 - 12:41
Thanks Ladies, We will be looking for a 2 bed apartment, my husband will be working in Business Bay area. The Greens does look nice, i wont have a car will that be a problem in the Greens??
Latest post on 01 May 2015 - 21:05
I think CP said it all, honestly Dubai is a welcoming city and there are loads of places to meet up with mom's and tots alike. Good Luck with the move
Latest post on 01 May 2015 - 19:41
Try not to worry too much, there are so many mums with young children. Expat Woman has meet ups and most residential areas have a few Facebook pages where you'll be able to find local groups. It will be hot and Ramadan when you arrive so I suggest you look for a few soft play centres where hopefully people will be enjoying some cool play times. As far as which areas to look at - your budget will dictate where to look, also where your husband will be working. The Greens is very popular with young families, all apartments and fairly affordable. If your budget runs to a villa then Arabian Ranches is great, good pools and play areas. Keep asking questions on here, check rents on Dubizzle and Property Finder. Good luck ?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY