In-laws | ExpatWoman.com

In-laws

Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 19:12

My in-laws have just announced that during the summer they are going to stay in Dubai for a month and this is already the 2nd time in this year. When I thought things can’t be worse, they also announced that for the last 5 days, my father-in-laws’ sliding, spouses and their children will be staying in my 3 bedroom villa of a total of 9 guests. The best part is that my husband works in Doha, so he won’t even be here to enjoy the company.
Please give me strength and sorry for the rant.

Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 22:30
Sorry for you but hear the sound of a movie scene almost. Take a chill pill, do what you must. Remember, this shall pass too :-)
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 21:12
sympathies Metro! My in-laws stayed for the whole of December and near the end my husband (who had been at work all day every day, just returning to eat) announced "hasn't it gone quickly"!!!! NO IT HADN'T!!!!! It will be even worse in the summer as they can't even go outside. Do they know how hot it is in the summer here? Perhaps there is an important work event that you need to be in Doha for? Without you cooking and cleaning after everyone perhaps it won't be so attractive to stay at your home. Maybe exaggerate what great offers are on in the hotels, and how nice it would be to have facilities like pool and gym, and foyer, and maid service etc … good luck. I held together for a month but I would struggle in the summer with everyone indoors.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 21:00
By "spouseS" I can only guess what culture this is but good luck... I've had it done to me before and it sucks. Maybe they (not necessarily taking you into consideration at all) want to be together, and "free villa"... Hopefully you won't be expected to clean up after them and serve all their beverages and meals too.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 20:46
Put your foot down and tell them there's not enough room for everyone to stay, otherwise this will keep happening. You shouldn't have to move out of your home into a hotel, which you will have to pay for, just because your in-laws have invited people to stay in your house!
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 20:36
That's awful Metro. I would just join my DH in Doha for the month and leave my villa to them.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 19:50
He asked, however when I reason that we haven't got enough floor space, he said it doesn't matter, they can squeeze in. And actually for the last 2 days, we are going to be out of town and my in-law replied that is even better, more space! I think this is a cultural and show-off thing.... I have checked the hotel price and it is not that expensive due to summer season. So DH is going to talk to father-in-law. I believe the best solution is me going to stay in hotel :cry: And thank you for eveyone kind words
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 19:37
Oh dear Metro. Firstly, what is your DH saying about this? Did they say this to you, or to him? Did they 'ask' or just tell? Is DH able to say no, or are there cultural/other issues where this would be impossible? Is it possible for you to respond saying you'll be out of town for part of the trip so you can't host the extras? Aaaagh! Hugs.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 19:34
Surely they will realise this is too much of a tight squeeze! Maybe you could move into a hotel for a break! Good luck, and count to 10.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 19:20
Awww...hugs to you! Thats why I am glad I live in an apartment. Dont have to put up with guests. Just send them a link to the Ibis hotel as its cheap and decent enough. Lol!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY