Visiting Prague with Young Children | ExpatWoman.com

Visiting Prague with Young Children

Latest post on 04 May 2015 - 08:52

Hello. I have the opportunity to go to Prague for a week over the Eid break in September. I am just a bit unsure because I would be traveling with young children. Has anyone been there with young children? Is it worth the trip?

Latest post on 12 May 2015 - 20:56
Anon, hope my post is not too late and Prague is still an option for you as I have to say I disagree with the posters saying it is not child friendly... We went to Prague at Christmas time a few years ago for a four day holiday. My kids were 6 months, 3.5 years and 7. We had a brilliant holiday and the kids loved it. We stayed in a small self catering apartment about an 8 minute tram ride from the city centre. The owner could not have been more helpful regarding where to go, how to get there etc and self catering was brilliant with small kids who needed to go to bed before the rest of us. The tram is so easy to get on and off and kids love it as it is nothing like Dubai. you can easily travel around the city by tram. A walk around the old town is lovely, even with kids. We just stopped often for hot chocolate and apple streusel and they were happy! There are always loads of puppet shows, classical music concerts etc on which you can check out. You have the old town on one side of the river and on the other is Petrin Hill. This is a huge park on a hill which you could easily visit several times with kids that just want to run around (I'd liken it to being in London and being able to take your kids to Hyde Park several times without them getting bored if what you want is fresh air, tress, and loads of space to run around). . There is a cable car that takes you to the top where there is a cafe and mirror maze (maze is worth a visit but much quicker visit than hype). The kids can run around the hill for ages, find play areas etc. When you have enough fresh air head down the hill to check out Prague Castle. You will also find the Toy Museum there which my kids loved. The Prague Zoo is brilliant and worth spending a day. From city centre it is a tram and then bus ride but easily doable with kids. It was recently refurbished after a flood so there are many lovely new parts. Its huge and we didn't see half of it in the half day we spent there. We didn't do any day trips as we had so little time but a train ride to one of the many castles would be on our list next time. We went in the winter when it was freezing and our kids were walking around in the snow and slipping on ice and they still gamely ran around Petrin Hill, the zoo etc. So I can only imagine if the weather was nicer there would be even more to do. I'd take my kids back any day and would recommend it to any of my friends. K
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 20:33
Thank you Ladies for the responses, two very varied ones. I have 4 children ranging in age from 8-1. Blondie, I am sure my older children would enjoy the things that you did. Cheshiregal, I am telling myself that even if it is really boring for my children, at least we could enjoy some nice weather and escape from the holiday rush here. There must be some public parks there? Is it easy to get around in English and are there a lot of public toilets?
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 19:05
I went alone with my daughter when she was 5. She loved it! We only had a few days and went to clock tower, the Toy Museum, and enjoyed all the street performers we came across. We had a lovely time picking out puppets (Pinocchio was the favorite). To this day she still talks about the cultural show we watched. We booked through a hotel and went to this quant old Czech building style building where there were dancers and live music wearing traditional garb. There was also a gorgeous restaurant ( I think "imperial ") that had a children's play area near the tables while dining. I would recommend Prague ! One of my top favorite cities
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 17:09
I am lucky enough to have a work office in Prague and i travel for business atleast twice a year took my ex boyfriend for the Xmas markets december just gone i can honestly say its not a kid friendly city, if im being totally honest there is loads of culture, art gallerys exhibtions etc, but roads are all cobbled, most of them, and there is alot of walking, depends what age your kids are i love this city though, i fell inlove with it first time, i went, its full of romance and stunning buildings. if you do take them though im sure you wil have lovely time with them but be mindful they might find it boring, have a wonderful time x

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY