Advice needed, I'm in a dilemma: come with husband sooner or arrive later with kids?? | ExpatWoman.com

Advice needed, I'm in a dilemma: come with husband sooner or arrive later with kids??

Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 07:57

Hi guys, I need some advice as to whether the kids and I should come with my Husband or should we arrive a month or two later?
My husband is due in Qatar end of June, issue is that that's when the school year finishes so kids and I will be there for two months out of school in the hot summer just trying to adapt. Also means that most likely will have to find housing without even knowing which schools we can get into. I have read alot about getting housing closest to school as possible.

Is there any advantage if the kids are in the country in regards to school applications - would it be more favourable? Has any come out to Qatar during the school break with kids?
On the other hand, if we decide to arrive later, I would have to do all the school applications and assessments from home and get house packed up on my own.
Any thoughts, experiences would be much appreciated!! Thanks!

Latest post on 18 May 2015 - 07:57
Thankyou everyone for your comments. Things are still moving on slowly at home with the move, although organising the packing and moving is always busy times. So far, I'm a little more relaxed as I have places at the Pearling Season school - they have asked to pay a holding fee (4,000 qtr each child). The place is subject to an interview and assessment which will be done when we get there in August. I don't like my chances with any of the other schools so we are going to pay the money and hopefully my kids will be happy there. I have researched the forum threads and heard good things.
Latest post on 14 May 2015 - 14:41
Here is y experience from 2 years ago.. arrived Aug 17th ( we already were accepted in ACS).. we have a US citizen, we did not wait the 6 month bank statement to get sponsored by my husband we got here in our passport, got visa from the airport ( visit visa).. in 2 weeks we had our visa.. after which we applied for a maid visa which we got within a week after my visa... so no wait for 6 months as I was told too by other expats.. ( all depends on individual experience).. I heard that the Finish school which is new in Doha still accepting kids.. worth trying..
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 09:04
Ok that was surprising censorship. Forced into a very hot place that is soft play :)
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 09:03
It's a lot different to being stuck in the house because it's raining all the time! If it's raining you can put on the gear and go out - you might not want to and it might be a hassle but it is possible. Also it's rarely raining solidly for two/three months even in the UK. Summer is hard in Doha. I'm someone who gets out and about as much as possible (I was still camping this weekend as an example) and in about a month's time the summer my kids will be going from a/c home to a/c car to a/c school to a/c home and I will probably be forced into the **** that is soft play at some point.
Latest post on 09 May 2015 - 22:12
Hi I moved to Doha in January from the uk,I have an 8 year old girl and a 6 year old girl.my oldest is in school but I'm still wanting for my little one to get a school place!!!!i would recommend u apply for school places now as all schools I have spoke to have waiting lists.if u are defiantly moving I would just pack up and come and hope for the best with schools.i havnt done a summer here yet,but all I'm ever told is how horrible it is,as it's so hot and u can't do anything.no different to being stuck in the house in England coz its raining all the time!!!there is a school called pearling apparently it's a new school and it has places,maybe worth calling them?? Also I would def check where u want to live and try getting a school close by as traffic is a pain. We live in a compound and it's great for kids and to meet people Its like living in a little village. I'm happy to help with any questions I know I had loads before I got here.
Latest post on 08 May 2015 - 09:17
Hi Mrs Pink, note sure how do we PM? I'm new here. Ok can you pls email me on dohaozzie at hotmail dot com thanks
Latest post on 08 May 2015 - 08:40
You cannot PM on this forum. Most post an email address (I wouldn't use my main one here) and spell it out like myusername at email dot com and then remove it once the receiver indicates that they have the address. You want to do this to avoid getting spammed or worse, hacked <em>edited by marycatherine on 08/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 08 May 2015 - 03:53
Hi Mrs Pink, note sure how do we PM? I'm new here.
Latest post on 07 May 2015 - 13:51
Thanks guys, yes probably looking at coming late july or early August. I have applied for schools and understand it's an uphill battle. My husbands company stated that our RP will only take about 3 weeks to issue (6 months of bank statements not required). hey lady J is there a way i can PM you?
Latest post on 07 May 2015 - 09:38
definitively come later at the middle of August, in time for having the RP for your children for the beginning of the school. Don't come here on tourist Visa: come when your husband has managed having the Family Visa ready to be converted into a RP. ask for an international driving licence before coming here, it will help you while you will be waiting for converting you driving licence into the Qatari one, and is useful if you want to rent a car in some countries around here. I did not dare to come without a school place assured for my daughter: I found it too risky. Kids cannot go to school, even if regularly enrolled, without the RP. I know kids who had to stay home for one month. There is a new school opening, the Finnish school. The Finnish school system is reckoned to be very good. it is in North Doha though, close to IKEA
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 11:03
Thanks guys, yes probably looking at coming late july or early August. I have applied for schools and understand it's an uphill battle. My husbands company stated that our RP will only take about 3 weeks to issue (6 months of bank statements not required).
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 07:38
As others have said you need to have started sorting schools by now if you hope to have a place by September. This is not a country to come to and try to "wing it" if you want the kids to have ongoing education (you may need to do some home schooling). Many of the schools will close down for at least part of the school holidays so don't expect to be able to arrive and find admin staff here from about mid July to late August as this is when they take their annual holiday as well to escape the heat. If you do decide to come out with your husband then he will be busy and stressed with his new job and all the adjustments so it might be best to wait at home. I was in your exact position (though slightly later in the year and with younger kids) and we chose to pack up the house together and then I moved in with a relative for the next 10 weeks. The up side to Qatar in the summer is that it's really empty so you can get your bearings and get a bit of driving confidence before the hordes arrive back at the end of August. The down side is the unbearable heat and humidity and the boredom for the kids. Do not come in Ramadan as it's never a good time to be here due to restrictions on eating/drinking in public and even crazier traffic in the evenings. Maybe look at coming at the start of August.
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 17:21
Do you already have school places? Will the school let your children start before they have an RP? Find out from your husband's company if he will be able to sponsor you asap or if he will have to have 6 months of bank statements before he can sponsor you
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 16:42
thanks Mrs Pink and Babysoosoo. We are coming from Sydney and have a 10 yo girl and 7 yo boy. I guess it will be tough for them during the summer. If we come in August still hot right? I guess this is the latest I can arrive as school starts September.
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 14:34
Please stay where you are for a couple more month.. it is miserable to say the least in July and August.. your kids will hate it.. I am speaking from experience and I actually to the middle east in August and my kids just thought I was torturing them. Add to that, that in July there is not much to do as it will be Ramadan and things work differently in ramdan with things opening real late.. My strong advise for both of you, is enjoy the weather where you are, your kids will still have time to adapt to the hotness :).. September is still hot...
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 11:59
Hey lady J we are in the same situation. DH due to start mid May and I will probably follow with kids a month later. Not a great time to arrive in Doha hey. how old are your kids and where are you coming from? :)