Advice pls.. exercise & possible pregnancy!! | ExpatWoman.com

Advice pls.. exercise & possible pregnancy!!

Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 10:13

Ok... just when i finally pulled myself up to start exercising... i missed my period... I am 5 days up, and I am almost never a day late... now I am worried if I am pregnant and might miscarry if I continue the workout... as for preg tests... i was checking online blogs and many say it was negative when tested so early and they found out that thy were pregnant later... so what if the same happens to me and I keep exercising and lose my pregnancy .. my DD is almost 5 now and we really wanna have a baby asap... what shall i do ?? .... :(

Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 10:55
I'm absolutely no expert but that certainly doesn't seem strenuous enough to disrupt periods unless something else is also going on like you've stopped eating and have lost a lot of weight quickly? Being a few lbs underweight shouldn't be enough either, using BMI charts I'm supposedly underweight but I have to be a lot thinner before it will disrupt periods. If I were you I'd visit the gynae for a scan just to check that everything is ok, if nothing else it should put your mind at ease a bit. Hmm... you have got me thinking... will do that soon... thanks for the advice...!
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 10:17
I'm absolutely no expert but that certainly doesn't seem strenuous enough to disrupt periods unless something else is also going on like you've stopped eating and have lost a lot of weight quickly? Being a few lbs underweight shouldn't be enough either, using BMI charts I'm supposedly underweight but I have to be a lot thinner before it will disrupt periods. If I were you I'd visit the gynae for a scan just to check that everything is ok, if nothing else it should put your mind at ease a bit.
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 09:58
Really...[b'> i never thought being active could bring all these complications[/b'>.. anyway will go to my gynae if I don't get my period for long due to work out... maybe i will shift to just walking if that would mean healthier hormonal life for me...! Being inactive can bring about a whole lot more complications! How much/what sort of exercise are you dong? Do you feel like you are overdoing it? I am doing popsugar's 40 minute strength building workout for beginners (10 min is just stretches at the end)... it seemed very balanced to me for starters... was thinking about taking it to the next level when i was up to it.. this is the video ... also i might be just a few ibs underweight...not much https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=istOU9nxhm8
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 09:47
Really...[b'> i never thought being active could bring all these complications[/b'>.. anyway will go to my gynae if I don't get my period for long due to work out... maybe i will shift to just walking if that would mean healthier hormonal life for me...! Being inactive can bring about a whole lot more complications! How much/what sort of exercise are you dong? Do you feel like you are overdoing it?
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 09:31
I took the test today.. its negative.. last night I googled exercise and menses (i don't know why i did not earlier but i never thought/heard it was relevant) ... apparently anyone underweight or overweight can experience missed periods when they start exercise. I am former so i was almost sure the test would be negative, but did it anyway to rule out the possibility before i continued my workout... However the new dilemma is that it seems if i miss my period for months at end my fertility can be affected (and like i mentioned its not great as it is)... also it increases chances of osteoporosis) Really... i never thought being active could bring all these complications.. anyway will go to my gynae if I don't get my period for long due to work out... maybe i will shift to just walking if that would mean healthier hormonal life for me...! Thanks a lot all for your well wishes... I am touched..!
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 17:52
Pregnancy is not an illness! Just like at other times, exercising when pregnant helps to keep you healthy in mind and body. I'm not talking about running a marathon (unless that's your thing) but it's good to keep active for you and your baby if that is want you want to do. My first three pregnancies I kept active, my fourth I couldn't due to a bad fall early on (and no, I wasn't playing tennis at the time). My body, and mind, coped far better during and after my active pregnancies than for my inactive one. As for not telling people you are pregnant until after the first trimester, well that is a totally a personal choice but I'd rather have company in my grief if I was to lose a baby. This article offers a good perspective: http://www.dailylife.com.au/life-and-love/parenting-and-families/is-it-time-to-end-the-threemonth-dont-tell-pregnancy-rule-20141020-3i90l.html Grittt1, I have my fingers crossed for you that you are pregnant :)
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 16:47
Ok... just when i finally pulled myself up to start exercising... i missed my period... I am 5 days up, and I am almost never a day late... now I am worried if I am pregnant and might miscarry if I continue the workout... as for preg tests... i was checking online blogs and many say it was negative when tested so early and they found out that thy were pregnant later... so what if the same happens to me and I keep exercising and lose my pregnancy .. my DD is almost 5 now and we really wanna have a baby asap... what shall i do ?? .... :( Better safe than sorry! Although preg. women go jogging etc I did know a girl years ago who insisted on sport during her first pregnancy against her mother's advice and had a miscarriage while playing tennis - so we were told. Nor only that she had to have a hysterectomy as well. I'm not saying it was all caused by tennis, of course.
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 16:04
Dear Gritt, However super experienced a midwife or a nurse is, only a doctor can DIAGNOSE. Midwives and nurses provide care and assistance. If you're worried you might be pregnant, the standard procedure is to get a pregnancy test. Negative or positive, when in doubt, see an OB. Stop exercising for a while as the first trimester (first four months) of a pregnancy is crucial and the risk of miscarrying is high. This is also the reason why doctors warn newly preggy mothers not to announce their pregnancy yet after the first four months to prevent heartache for the mother and the people told. Good luck! :cool:
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 16:00
And/Or talk to a midwife...sensible advice from someone whose seen hundered of mums :) It's international midwives day after all (i heard on the radio just now!) lovingthesun, are there midwives here who are accepting preggo women for consultation? I would love to know. Im seeing an OB but i think midwives have some rigid or raw information on technique, tips on pregnancy than OBs. That's just my impression.
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 15:35
If you feel that you are pregnant and you have been trying for a baby then why don't you slow down for a week or so until you know for sure. It is obviously worrying you that exercise will affect the baby but it's likely to be this stress and worry that will cause any problems. A week off the exercise wont hurt, likewise exercising right up to delivery wont cause a problem. You have to follow your own instincts, you are the one that knows your body best. Good luck.
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 14:52
And/Or talk to a midwife...sensible advice from someone whose seen hundered of mums :) It's international midwives day after all (i heard on the radio just now!)
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 13:08
Gritt1, I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to certain things so I avoided any form of strenuous exercise and movements until I got through my first trimester. I still did some 'gentle' exercises like walking (strolling ;)) and swimming. After 12 weeks , I took it up a notch or two! BTW, congrats if you are pregnant. You can always cut back now and then go back to a regular exercise routine once it's confirmed. Thanks... :) .... hope I am... i am thinking, will stop a day or 2... check things and see how it is and take it from there... !
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 11:31
I'm not being rude, but if you are so concerned, why not just go and consult with your doctor, before you do anything. I am sure you are not being rude... i just don't want to raise a hue and cry about nothing.... but at the same time want to be careful... I never took precaution yet in the last 5 years I just conceived once... so before today I was not even considering I might be pregnant... but I will do the test today, and taking your advice will visit doc soon if required...! edited by Grittt1 on 05/05/2015 <em>edited by Grittt1 on 05/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 11:26
Gritt1, I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to certain things so I avoided any form of strenuous exercise and movements until I got through my first trimester. I still did some 'gentle' exercises like walking (strolling ;)) and swimming. After 12 weeks , I took it up a notch or two! BTW, congrats if you are pregnant. You can always cut back now and then go back to a regular exercise routine once it's confirmed.
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 11:04
thanks sheikhandbake ... the thing is I have miscarried just after 4 week (that early), around 2 years back... so I am worried that maybe my early days are sensitive... however my first pregnancy was very smooth and normal initially with a bit of complication and C section at the end...! Lots of reasons to miscarry at 4 weeks. A bit of exercise isn't like to be the cause.
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 10:55
I'm not being rude, but if you are so concerned, why not just go and consult with your doctor, before you do anything.
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 10:45
thanks sheikhandbake ... the thing is I have miscarried just after 4 week (that early), around 2 years back... so I am worried that maybe my early days are sensitive... however my first pregnancy was very smooth and normal initially with a bit of complication and C section at the end...!
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 10:32
Ok... just when i finally pulled myself up to start exercising... i missed my period... I am 5 days up, and I am almost never a day late... now I am worried if I am pregnant and might miscarry if I continue the workout... as for preg tests... i was checking online blogs and many say it was negative when tested so early and they found out that thy were pregnant later... so what if the same happens to me and I keep exercising and lose my pregnancy .. my DD is almost 5 now and we really wanna have a baby asap... what shall i do ?? .... :( Your body is meant to carry babies. Exercise will have no affect on whether your baby is viable or not. In fact, if you are pregnant, exercising will help maintain healthy hormones and make both you and the baby healthier. If you feel faint or otherwise unwell, stop or slow down - just like you would at any other time.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY