Quick dinner suggestions for busy mums? | ExpatWoman.com

Quick dinner suggestions for busy mums?

Latest post on 25 October 2015 - 00:07
** I went to atelier M in Dubai last week for drinks and music with my friends. The ambiance was impressive and the views in and around Pier 7 were alluring. The wait to get in wasn’t long and the music was a mix of R&B, hip hop and club mixes. We had a great time!
Latest post on 11 May 2015 - 16:08
I love this recipe that I got from Marie Claire Fast Food (Donna Hay), it's relatively quick, simple and tasty. Pasta with shredded chicken and fried basil 450g fresh pasta (or your normal dry pasta will do) 1 tablespoon olive oil 3 chicken breast fillets halved 2 tablespoons of olive oil extra 1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves 125g fetta, chopped Cracked black pepper I also add garlic and a little chilli to mine when I'm cooking the chicken. Cook the pasta until al dente While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove, cool slightly and shred the chicken. Add the extra oil to the pan and heat. Add basil and cook for 2 minutes or until crisp. To serve, drain pasta and toss with the chicken, feta and pepper. Pour over the oil and dried basil and serve with lemon wedges. Yum! edited by Thunderbird on 07/05/2015 Sounds fantastic! Adding this to my to-try list! Ladies, the other night I made a quick dinner with my Crockpot and it only required three ingredients. It's cubed mushroom steak (it makes its own gravy!): You will need: Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (one can would suffice but I like a lot of gravy so I added two) Cube Steak or Pot Roast French Onion Soup Mix (happened to have one packet in the pantry) 1. Throw your meat in the crockpot. 2. Dump half of the condensed cream of mushroom soup. 3. Sprinkle the onion soup mix evenly on top of the beef. 4. Dump the remaining cream of mushroom soup over the onion soup mix. Set on low for about 8 hours. Make mashed potatoes and it will go so well with the cubed steak's gravy.
Latest post on 07 May 2015 - 17:58
I love this recipe that I got from Marie Claire Fast Food (Donna Hay), it's relatively quick, simple and tasty. Pasta with shredded chicken and fried basil 450g fresh pasta (or your normal dry pasta will do) 1 tablespoon olive oil 3 chicken breast fillets halved 2 tablespoons of olive oil extra 1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves 125g fetta, chopped Cracked black pepper I also add garlic and a little chilli to mine when I'm cooking the chicken. Cook the pasta until al dente While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove, cool slightly and shred the chicken. Add the extra oil to the pan and heat. Add basil and cook for 2 minutes or until crisp. To serve, drain pasta and toss with the chicken, feta and pepper. Pour over the oil and dried basil and serve with lemon wedges. Yum! <em>edited by Thunderbird on 07/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 07 May 2015 - 17:19
I grew up with maids in the house. Now that I am the queen of my own home I'm holding off one until I have a kid/kids. Don't particularly like the feeling of having to think about a stranger in the house. Also, my mother had a lot of maids come and go, some of which steal bits and pieces from our home. Would drive me crazy to worry about things like that all the time. Also, not all maids can cook or would pass the quality we set anyway unless one is a professional cook. Besides, I'm a bit of a control freak and picky when it comes to meals. Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! The other day I tried a cubed steak in mushroom sauce slow cooked with my new Crockpot. So ecstatic to come home without worrying about what to have for dinner. I'm newly married, still trying to work around a schedule that fits working fulltime and running a small household (it's just me and my husband) in an apartment. <em>edited by gryffindornerd6 on 07/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 18:37
On purpose? With a drop of cyanide?
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 17:40
If you had a maid, you wouldn't need this thread, as your nice hot freshly cooked dinner would be waiting for you as you walked in the door after a busy day! :lol: Eww no way, my one would kill me with her cooking
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 17:35
If you had a maid, you wouldn't need this thread, as your nice hot freshly cooked dinner would be waiting for you as you walked in the door after a busy day! :lol:
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 17:34
I have a fan oven, I set it so it turns off after 3 hours. But no I probably wouldn't leave the gas on while you are at work, unless you have a maid to turn it off for you LOL
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 17:26
LadyMary you would leave the oven on all day while out? :idea: I do sometimes leave the slow cooker on (but panic a bit) but I think oven is a completely different thing to leave on all day, esp a gas one?! &lt;sidetracking thread&gt;
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 17:24
Fry some beef, onion and garlic, add carrot and celery (if you want) mix in tbsp of tomato puree, add 100 mls of marsala wine, a bottle of red wine and same amount of beef stock, add in 6 anchovies (these add so much flavour and dissolve when cooked) and cook on low in the oven until you get home. Take about 10 mins to prepare. Serve with mash potato and veg Fry chicken, onion, garlic and turmeric, stir in tomato puree, add tin of chopped tomatoes and chicken stock cubes. Cook for 30 mins and serve with pasta or rice. I like salads so I prepare in advance Boiled chicken ( boil it with a onion and stock cube) Sweet potato, cut into cubes, sprinkle with oil and chilli and cook in the oven for 30 mins Then have it daily with Avocado Rocket, coriander, parsley,chives Tomato Broccoli or whatever you want. I also make my own dressings in advance so its easier
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 16:50
I make dinner in large batches and freeze them Easy to defrost and cook in the evening rather than preparing from scratch everyday As the OP said Chilli Spag Bol Stir Fry Lasagne Stews The list is endless.
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 16:41
For those days when you just can't rustle something up, my quick dinner suggestions usually involve a local lebanese restaurant for a grilled chicken, homous and salad :( :) I just think you can't cook properly in a rush and it's relatively healthy and everyone likes it. Make your life simpler, that's what I say. :) Otherwise, the usual suspects can be made in half an hour: Chilli con carne, spag bol, stir fries, pasta etc.
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 16:18
I work fulltime and usually don't have the energy or the time to make something complicated for dinner. Anyone have quick dinner suggestions? So far I've purchased a Crockpot to dump everything in and let it do the cooking. It has helped. But suggestions are still very much welcome. TIA!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY