Which is the BEST primary school in Dubai?! | ExpatWoman.com

Which is the BEST primary school in Dubai?!

Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 21:40

I'm looking for a primary school for my daughters to join.
If places, fees and location were not an issue... which schools would you rank as the best?!

I'm looking for a British curriculum school that starts from age 3. I'm just trying to get an idea of which are the most respected schools. I've seen the KHDA ratings, but I'd like to know what the locals really think.
<em>edited by torialh on 05/05/2015</em>

Latest post on 02 September 2020 - 11:19
Hey there, Hope you are having a great day. I can help you in suggesting a good Primary school in Dubai. Global Indian International School, Dubai is where my own kid is studying for quite a few years. You will not regret admitting your child in this school. You can definitely check it out and know more about it before making your final decision. Hope this helps you. Thanks.
Latest post on 12 May 2015 - 13:05
I would totally echo Starsouthern's comments. My children are both at one of the schools on the top list above, for the eldest it has worked out well, but he does struggle to keep up in some areas. For the youngest it has not worked at all, he just hasn't adapted to the very high standards of behavior and conformity expected of a 3-4 year old in that school. Due to the waiting lists and so on, as a paying parent you can't help feel that 'it's our way or the highway' there's very little room for catering to the individual. I don't really understand the hype around the so called 'best' schools, everyone has gripes about a school no matter which one it is. To find one where your child is happy is the most important. We are looking at Hartland, as I like the idea of the pastoral care, which is missing in many schools here. I think the extra choice is a good wake up call for schools who may have become a little arrogant about their reputation!
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 09:04
I agree with a lot of the comments above, it is great to get feedback from others but each school suits each child differently. I personally prefer the smaller schools which seem to have more focus and pride in your child as an individual. My son is in Dubai British School and we are so happy to have found a community, family friendly school who really support you and your little one. It's not as overwhelming as the other schools we visited and has amazing academic results. He really is thriving in the environment and benefiting from the high level of teaching and learning standards. I know every parent raves about their own school but we really couldn't be happier.
Latest post on 07 May 2015 - 16:40
I'm not sure there is anything similar to a British prep school here, at least there wasn't when we arrived 3 years ago and went from a tiny London prep to a school of almost 1,000! Repton was probably the closest in philosophy, but was/is huge. It does sound as though some of the newer schools, Foremarke, Hartland and perhaps Nord Anglia to some degree may have the closest ethos, from what I've read/heard (and seen first hand in the case of NAS). Amongst the more established schools I don't personally think you'll find the kind of experience you're looking for, much as they are great schools. We haven't and no longer expect it. I suppose we've adjusted our expectations to the best of what is available here, and that choice is broadening and improving, which can only be a good thing. Just something to bear in mind, perhaps best not to expect to replicate what you have exactly, as it may not be possible.
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 21:42
Yes the company have agreed to Foremake's fees. It's the only smaller scale school I've found that has places. But I could put the children on the waiting list of somewhere like JESS. JHM makes a valid point, that those older schools have a long standing reputation. Whereas the newer schools have to build their reputation which obviously takes time. But I'm guessing the newer schools aren't necessarily any worse, they just aren't as established. Perhaps, in a few years time, they will be even better than the likes of JESS etc. I'm eagerly awaiting the latest inspection results of Foremarke. I don't know yet whether my children would suit an academic school or not, so I'm just looking for a well rounded education and a nurturing environment with nice people. I would however like to find a school that will give a similar experience to that of an independent British prep school. <em>edited by torialh on 06/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 20:32
I'm not saying it's for good or bad but one of the principle reasons that DESS, JESS and JAPS are often seen as being the best is that they are the only primary schools run on a not for profit basis. They have also been around for a long time so you know what you're going to get. If people are sceptical about new schools it's because over the years there have been some amazing visions for new schools which haven't quite lived up to the hype. It's also worth considering that all schools here raise their fees on a pretty much annual basis!
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 20:28
The best school is a school where your child is happy. My children were at one of the not for profit schools on the best school list above. My son thrived my daughter didn't for her it was the worst school possible. She didn't fit in with the way of teaching and learning, which contributed to her not fitting in socially it was a terrible for her. We have now moved both to a different profit school and the two of them couldn't be happier. I didn't realize how much pressure the other school put on students and their results until we moved schools. The new school is very academic yet students aren't under the same pressure both are thriving and excited every day about what they're learning.
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 17:49
Thanks so much for all your comments. It is interesting to hear about the various schools' reputations. It was mentioned that Foremarke is exclusive. Please can you elaborate on that, or does anyone else have any views on Foremarke? It has places available so it is one of the schools we are seriously considering. (N.B. My husband's company are paying the fees). <em>edited by torialh on 06/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 15:53
My Kids go to Repton I think it's a great school. My elder one is 10 and the younger one is 6 and they are both going to Repton since they were 3 years old. But if you are looking for something more exclusive then their school Foremarke is not too bad either if you are willing to pay a slightly higher price.
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 13:56
Thats like asking "What is the BEST lipstick?" MAC...Viva Glam :) LOL, for me it's MAC's 'Honeylove' Also as for these Hartland posts praising it to the heavens, how can people review it based on ZERO experience? It's like people raving about a movie they havent seen, just because the movie producer & director say that its going to be a good movie... of course they're going to say that! edited by sourskittleashnut on 06/05/2015 The internet is a great tool. Do all the due diligence yourself and don't take advice from anonymous people on a forum. The best way to see if a school teaches well is to look at the children's school books. What are they teaching, are the books marked, how much work are they doing in class and how much is homework, what textbooks do they use, how often do they have Maths and English a week, how long are the lessons? Everyone has different expectations from a school. Its better to do your own research IMO
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 13:28
Thats like asking "What is the BEST lipstick?" MAC...Viva Glam :) LOL, for me it's MAC's 'Honeylove' Also as for these Hartland posts praising it to the heavens, how can people review it based on ZERO experience? It's like people raving about a movie they havent seen, just because the movie producer & director say that its going to be a good movie... of course they're going to say that! <em>edited by sourskittleashnut on 06/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 13:24
Thats like asking "What is the BEST lipstick?" MAC...Viva Glam :)
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 12:51
Thats like asking "What is the BEST lipstick?" There is no such thing, and you'll get dozens of answers based on people's experience and budget. There are some that are better than others, and have already been mentioned.
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 11:37
I agree with Countess Wrinkle that the articles on the website and Facebook page are inspiring, but at present it remains for this to become reality. Thankfully, my children are past this stage but having been through it feel that you should visit each school that ticks most of your boxes. Take your child with you and see how you both 'feel'. Big vibrant schools can bring out the best in some children whereas other children thrive more in a smaller, more personal environment. Of course all parents want what is best for their child, but some need to realize that not every child is going to be a 'high achiever', become the next 'David Beckham' or Tiger Woods and need to consider this too. So don't just look at the schools who 'promise' the world on websites or social media, this just means that they have a large advertising budget! An SMT with a vision is great but it needs to be seen in action to evidence that they can make their vision work. Best of luck and I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you and your little one :)
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 08:39
Completely disagree with some of these. Look for the smaller schools which don't have 10-11 classes per age group or 26+ per class. Or which charge extortionate fees. So basically JAPS, JESS, DESS. (there is a reason that their waitlists are so long!) I have also heard great things about NAS, Safa and Victory Heights.
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 08:28
Best primary schools in Dubai are: Japs Dess Jess Other good schools: Jps Safa Kings Gems wellington sheikh zayed News schools already doing well: Victory heights Kings barsha Safa community Nas
Latest post on 06 May 2015 - 07:47
Repton for Infant and Primary schools. Completely disagree. Though at least their infants and primary are better than their secondary.
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 23:30
Repton for Infant and Primary schools.
Latest post on 05 May 2015 - 23:12
Their fees are a lot lower than schools such as Foremarke. Do you think you get what you pay for and that once Foremarke is more established it will compete with the older schools? Or perhaps I should be looking at the older more established schools. Any other recommendations from anyone else please?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY