Where to begin on wanting to move to Dubai? All help welcome please :) | ExpatWoman.com

Where to begin on wanting to move to Dubai? All help welcome please :)

Latest post on 07 May 2015 - 00:15

Hello there - I have been a member of this site for a while and feel it's time to start engaging as opposed to just reading peoples chats.
I am a single mum of two (age 3 and 1) looking to move to Dubai in the future. I have just qualified as a Micro-pigmentation technician (AKA Semi Permanent Make up Technician or Cosmetic Tattooing).
Obviously I am filled with a million and one questions such as 'how do I get over there?' , 'will I be accepted/ allowed as a single mother?'

I am therefore looking to come over for a week sometime this year and was wondering if anybody can recommend the best time to come over I.e. Are there any planned expat events that I could attend whilst over there where I can meet up and chat with people who can offer me some advice and support. Preferably I am looking at October/ November time....?

Can anybody suggest anywhere in Or near Dubai marina to stay/ eat etc??

I will be so grateful of absolutely any pointers, tips, advice or support in these very early stages and I thank you in advance for taking the time to read and/ or reply to my thread :)

Thank u

Latest post on 21 June 2015 - 00:10
Hi couchpotatoe Yes I will definitely look into salons while I am over - it is one of my intentions whilst I am visiting. I'm hoping expat have some sort of event on during my stay so so as I can meet up with people face to face and ask questions. Ideally I would LOVE to be able to set up on my own and be self employed but I appreciate and understand there is a huge amount I need to look into. It's a dream and a passion for me though so I know I won't be giving up on the idea at the first hurdle :) Thanks for your reply ?
Latest post on 19 June 2015 - 06:44
OP are you planning on working for someone else or setting up your own business? Maybe it would be worthwhile connecting with some salons when you are over to have a better idea of salaries etc. As previous posters have said, generally salaries in this area are quite low. If you wanted to set up your own salon it would be expensive in terms of rent, fit out, annual trade license, insurance etc, you would have huge start up costs and would require a local sponsor.
Latest post on 19 June 2015 - 02:05
Hi everybody - opologies if I appeared rude by not replying sooner; few technical issues with my iPad but all sorted now. Thank you for all your comments, I have taken everything on board ? All advice and comments are appreciated! And as for being able to afford to stay in Atlantis as a single mum - I work exceptionally hard and earn a good wage. I am also extremely focused and positive with my thoughts and and energy ?
Latest post on 09 May 2015 - 21:15
Hello there - I have been a member of this site for a while and feel it's time to start engaging as opposed to just reading peoples chats. I am a single mum of two (age 3 and 1) looking to move to Dubai in the future. I have just qualified as a Micro-pigmentation technician (AKA Semi Permanent Make up Technician or Cosmetic Tattooing). Obviously I am filled with a million and one questions such as 'how do I get over there?' , 'will I be accepted/ allowed as a single mother?' I am therefore looking to come over for a week sometime this year and was wondering if anybody can recommend the best time to come over I.e. Are there any planned expat events that I could attend whilst over there where I can meet up and chat with people who can offer me some advice and support. Preferably I am looking at October/ November time....? Can anybody suggest anywhere in Or near Dubai marina to stay/ eat etc?? I will be so grateful of absolutely any pointers, tips, advice or support in these very early stages and I thank you in advance for taking the time to read and/ or reply to my thread :) Thank u Not to be negative but I highly doubt you can afford schooling or accommodation for two kids on a make up artist salary. There are so many talented make up artists here already and the market is kind of saturated already.
Latest post on 09 May 2015 - 20:20
Hmm, no more feedback.........
Latest post on 08 May 2015 - 19:14
Do you have family in the UK? Who looks after your children or helps out? I don’t think this is an option unless you have a large pot of money from somewhere else. Have you researched how much such technicians get paid here, the hours they work and their packages? And whilst a hoilday in Atlantis is great, there is a big difference between being a tourist and a resident.
Latest post on 08 May 2015 - 15:16
Yep..I get that...just would love to know the secret as I am very poor and would love not to be...
Latest post on 08 May 2015 - 15:08
Live bird2015. -Very nosey question but as a single mum of two I would love to know your secret as to being able to afford a holiday to Dubai staying at Atlantis.. Er - being a single mother does not mean ones is automatically very poor or even that one cannot afford 7 days at Atlantis!!
Latest post on 08 May 2015 - 13:31
P.S. to sponsor your children for a visa out here you have to be earning a certain minimum salary, and I believe you also need the father's permission (some kind of documentation) to allow them to live here.
Latest post on 08 May 2015 - 13:30
Liverbird - a Scouser or LFC fan by any chance? Check out MeetUp.com for networking events (there are groups specific to the beauty industry, for example), there are bound to be a few on while you're out here. Best to start checking from a month before your visit. Best of luck.
Latest post on 08 May 2015 - 11:22
Live bird2015. -Very nosey question but as a single mum of two I would love to know your secret as to being able to afford a holiday to Dubai staying at Atlantis..
Latest post on 08 May 2015 - 11:03
Hi everybody Thank you all for your replies they are much appreciated - esp the one relating to start up costs. Gives me an idea of what I am looking at. I have just booked for a week in Atlantis The palm for November ????? excited doesn't even cut it :) I'm crossing my fingers that EW will have one of their open events on during my stay (12-19th) so I can attend and have the opportunity to speak to like minded people ? Thanks again for all your replies folks - much appreciated x
Latest post on 07 May 2015 - 08:34
Start up costs in Dubai are huge. You usually need to pay a years rent up front and for a 2 bedroom apartment you are probably looking at 85K minimum. Maybe you can find an employer who would provide accommodation. Childcare/School fees are expensive. I honestly don't think that it would be economically viable for a single mum of 2. Please do your research very carefully before you commit to anything.
Latest post on 07 May 2015 - 07:50
Definately find time to meet with others working at your intended work place and have a coffee. You need to walk in eyes open. It can be great here and often is...but sometimes (and you are doing exactly the right thing by coming for a visit) all the glitters is not gold. Once you see it (same goes for houses/schools/nurseries etc) you will know. Good luck :)
Latest post on 07 May 2015 - 07:06
Good morning! I think the first thing you need to figure out is if you will be able to make enough money to support yourself and your children. Your children will need care while you are at work in the way of nursery or nanny/housemaid - both of which come at a cost. Factor in rising rents and you're going to need a really good salary to live comfortably.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY