Desperate for a school for my daughter | ExpatWoman.com

Desperate for a school for my daughter

Latest post on 03 June 2015 - 17:29
we are moving from paris to dubai end of june and I have applied my 10 year old daughter for so many schools only to be put on waitlist. I started with applying for the american curriculum schools because this what she is attending in her current school, but now I have also applied for IB and British system schools. I just need her in a good school now... Can it really be true that I can't get her in anywhere? I'm about to cry about this situation.... again :( What can I do? Please help! :( First, DO NOT PANIC! The schools often appear full here because parents make multiple applications, but with some persistence and a bit of research you will get there (same position as you almost exactly 1 year ago). It seems as if you want British/American schools but as you come from France you may want to consider a French school? There are 4 French schools here, Aflec, Georges Pompidou and the most recent addition, ICE (and another Lebanese-French school, but I know nothing about it). My daughter goes to ICE, it is fine and as it is new there will be a better chance of getting in than in the other French schools. They are also thinking of providing an "English Stream", so it might be worth asking even if your son does not speak French. Incidentally, all of the staff speak good to excellent English! I also did a lot of research and our "Plan B" was Nord Anglia. It looked excellent, although it was still being built when I arrived. Another suggestion - try and dig out new/recently opened schools. They are more likely to have places although on the flip side you can't get much by way of opinions - as it is new. Have a look at this, it is the official government website and contains some useful links: http://www.dubai.ae/en/Lists/Articles/DispForm.aspx?ID=38&event=Going to school in Dubai&category=Citizens KHDA also has a searchable database: http://www.khda.gov.ae/khdaWebsite2015/directory?isSearched=1&islight=_islight&school=null&textFilter=&rating=null&curriculum=French&grade=&fee=&location=&tab=school Good luck!
Latest post on 03 June 2015 - 01:40
we are moving from paris to dubai end of june and I have applied my 10 year old daughter for so many schools only to be put on waitlist. I started with applying for the american curriculum schools because this what she is attending in her current school, but now I have also applied for IB and British system schools. I just need her in a good school now... Can it really be true that I can't get her in anywhere? I'm about to cry about this situation.... again :( What can I do? Please help! :( Hi, My daughter, who is also 10 years old, in in an American Curriculum school called Bradenton Prep Academy which is in Sports City in Dubai. She is really happy at this school, she settled in really well and the teachers are really lovely. BPA is quite a new school and it became a GEMS school about two years ago. You should really try it as the newer schools normally don't have such long waiting lists. We have always been in International American schools around the world and are very happy with this school Hope this helps, don't give up just yet! all the best :):) My son got a seat at the DAA and we hoping to get my daughter there as well.(we didn't) Luckily she got a seat in GWA which is only 10 mins away from the DAA. When she gets a place in the DAA, we will move her there... If she wants. BPA seems nice, but fare away from the DAA and that's why we didn't choose it. Thank you :)
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 19:43
we are moving from paris to dubai end of june and I have applied my 10 year old daughter for so many schools only to be put on waitlist. I started with applying for the american curriculum schools because this what she is attending in her current school, but now I have also applied for IB and British system schools. I just need her in a good school now... Can it really be true that I can't get her in anywhere? I'm about to cry about this situation.... again :( What can I do? Please help! :( Hi, My daughter, who is also 10 years old, in in an American Curriculum school called Bradenton Prep Academy which is in Sports City in Dubai. She is really happy at this school, she settled in really well and the teachers are really lovely. BPA is quite a new school and it became a GEMS school about two years ago. You should really try it as the newer schools normally don't have such long waiting lists. We have always been in International American schools around the world and are very happy with this school Hope this helps, don't give up just yet! all the best :):)
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 19:42
we are moving from paris to dubai end of june and I have applied my 10 year old daughter for so many schools only to be put on waitlist. I started with applying for the american curriculum schools because this what she is attending in her current school, but now I have also applied for IB and British system schools. I just need her in a good school now... Can it really be true that I can't get her in anywhere? I'm about to cry about this situation.... again :( What can I do? Please help! :( Hi, My daughter, who is also 10 years old, in in an American Curriculum school called Bradenton Prep Academy which is in Sports City in Dubai. She is really happy at this school, she settled in really well and the teachers are really lovely. BPA is quite a new school and it became a GEMS school about two years ago. You should really try it as the newer schools normally don't have such long waiting lists. We have always been in International American schools around the world and are very happy with this school Hope this helps, don't give up just yet! all the best :):)
Latest post on 27 May 2015 - 21:26
Samoura1, we are in the same boat. I have insisted on both DAA & ASD from the beginning, since we r relocating from USA to Dubai in August 2015. I found that calling them daily (yes, pestering them) & telling them that this is your option and choice, what your child also wants, helps a lot. Keep on top of their heads and don't give up. My 8th grader will end up on a waiting list in ASD, while my 6th grader will end up on a waiting list in DAA. I kid you not, I call these schools daily to let them know we are passionate about our choices and to expedite paper work. Wish you the best. It's very disappointing and upsetting that you can't put your child in a good school and that you have to fight for a spot! Specially when the child is a great student... We are getting so desperate and I have been so stressed... I call and I write to them constantly. We cannot apply for ASD, because we are not american passport holders... So unfair! No we have gone for plan b... Looking to put her in another school until a space becomes available at DAA, where her brother is going to be. You dont need a US passport to apply for ASD. They only get preference thats all.
Latest post on 27 May 2015 - 17:27
Hi, My daughter, who is also 10 years old, in in an American Curriculum school called Bradenton Prep Academy which is in Sports City in Dubai. She is really happy at this school, she settled in really well and the teachers are really lovely. BPA is quite a new school and it became a GEMS school about two years ago. You should really try it as the newer schools normally don't have such long waiting lists. We have always been in International American schools around the world and are very happy with this school Hope this helps, don't give up just yet! all the best :):)
Latest post on 25 May 2015 - 16:59
New schools have more chances to get in !..i have started searching for one too!!
Latest post on 16 May 2015 - 07:35
I do understand your anxiousnes, I have worked at a school and closely with admissions, who spend far too much time answering desperate parents' pleas for places, they operate a very fair system - keeping ringing them does not increase your chances, they have x number of places and x number on the waiting list, and while they are answering your desperate calls they can't process anything, and you run the risk of becoming a burden. Keep your options open, look at alternatives, what will be will be - all good schools have waiting lists, because they're popular
Latest post on 12 May 2015 - 13:46
Samoura1, we are in the same boat. I have insisted on both DAA & ASD from the beginning, since we r relocating from USA to Dubai in August 2015. I found that calling them daily (yes, pestering them) & telling them that this is your option and choice, what your child also wants, helps a lot. Keep on top of their heads and don't give up. My 8th grader will end up on a waiting list in ASD, while my 6th grader will end up on a waiting list in DAA. I kid you not, I call these schools daily to let them know we are passionate about our choices and to expedite paper work. Wish you the best. Do you really phone them daily? I am sure the admin staff have a lot to do. What if everyone on the waiting list phoned them every day? I agree with others get in touch with lots of schools. Not all have waiting lists. And then keep your children on the waiting list for your favourite schools. It has taken me 4 years to finally get my children in what I think it's the best school for them. i don't call them every singles day, but I call and email them a lot. We'd only be in Dubai for 3-4 years so I cannot wait year to get my kids into a good school. by that time we would have left the country :)
Latest post on 12 May 2015 - 11:52
I do agree about keeping in touch with the admissions department, but you have to realise that a waiting list is just that and does not guarantee a place. This schools cannot just magically make places. ASD is a highly sought after US curriculum school for a reason, great be on a waiting list but don’t think you will get a place. You both need to realise that you have to seek out other options that may work for your children. A US Curriculum school may not be an option and you will have to do as many expats from many nations have to do, seek another school. Most curriculums are interchangeable until the critical exam years. Do look at some of the other schools suggested. Don’t put your eggs in one basket is the message . Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately I have come to the same conclusion as you and seeking other options. But it's still frustrating. I can't even visit the schools to choose the right one, because we are still in Paris until end if june... We are just hoping to get lucky with the school that we pick and therefore really count on and appreciate everybody's comments and reviews
Latest post on 12 May 2015 - 11:49
Samoura1, we are in the same boat. I have insisted on both DAA & ASD from the beginning, since we r relocating from USA to Dubai in August 2015. I found that calling them daily (yes, pestering them) & telling them that this is your option and choice, what your child also wants, helps a lot. Keep on top of their heads and don't give up. My 8th grader will end up on a waiting list in ASD, while my 6th grader will end up on a waiting list in DAA. I kid you not, I call these schools daily to let them know we are passionate about our choices and to expedite paper work. Wish you the best. It's very disappointing and upsetting that you can't put your child in a good school and that you have to fight for a spot! Specially when the child is a great student... We are getting so desperate and I have been so stressed... I call and I write to them constantly. We cannot apply for ASD, because we are not american passport holders... So unfair! No we have gone for plan b... Looking to put her in another school until a space becomes available at DAA, where her brother is going to be.
Latest post on 12 May 2015 - 06:31
Samoura1, we are in the same boat. I have insisted on both DAA & ASD from the beginning, since we r relocating from USA to Dubai in August 2015. I found that calling them daily (yes, pestering them) & telling them that this is your option and choice, what your child also wants, helps a lot. Keep on top of their heads and don't give up. My 8th grader will end up on a waiting list in ASD, while my 6th grader will end up on a waiting list in DAA. I kid you not, I call these schools daily to let them know we are passionate about our choices and to expedite paper work. Wish you the best.
Latest post on 12 May 2015 - 00:25
Thank you for all your reply. We want her to go to the DAA, because her brother is there. And really hoping that they are going to tell us soon in a few month that there is a place available for her. Meanwhile we are thinking of having her temporarily at a school in the area (we are thinking of living in the greens or springs). So have the option between Gems International School - Al Khail or Gems World Academy. Any recommendation on which on to pick?
Latest post on 11 May 2015 - 13:39
How good is her English? Is that the issue? her english is perfect, she has been in american curriculum schools since she started school. Its seems that Dubai have a high demand on middle school... You'll probably find that DAA will offer her a spot come August or September. I'd keep calling and calling and calling ...
Latest post on 11 May 2015 - 13:30
Safa Community School also British Curriculum and is a lovely place to be. We went through a similar situation with our child, however I do feel we made the right choice . There are so many to choose from... good luck
Latest post on 11 May 2015 - 01:23
How good is her English? Is that the issue? her english is perfect, she has been in american curriculum schools since she started school. Its seems that Dubai have a high demand on middle school...
Latest post on 11 May 2015 - 00:48
She is now in 5th grade in an American curriculum school. We were thinking of Swiss International Scientific School... Is it too risky to go for a school that will open in in August? She is a very smart girl and I'd be very upset if I can't find her a good US curriculum school. She passed her test at DAA but was put on waiting list. Her little brother (Grade 2) got a space in the DAA, so we were thinking of living in the springs or the greens...
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 19:22
There are so many new schools.. Have you tried safa community, kings nad el shiba, victory heights, Dovecote and Dubai british school jumeriah park? (Those are all british schools). And for IB gems Al khail might have places.
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 19:00
How good is her English? Is that the issue?
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 18:45
What about the French school? And I don't believe that none of the American curriculum schools have places. Have you tried Bradenton, DAA, Universal American, Collegiate American? By fourth and fifth grades, most schools have places. Also, wasn't Gems building a new American curriculum school ... whatever happened to this? http://www.arabianbusiness.com/top-us-educator-signs-up-lead-new-dubai-school-537980.html <em>edited by sheikhandbake on 10/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 18:40
we are moving from paris to dubai end of june and I have applied my 10 year old daughter for so many schools only to be put on waitlist. I started with applying for the american curriculum schools because this what she is attending in her current school, but now I have also applied for IB and British system schools. I just need her in a good school now... Can it really be true that I can't get her in anywhere? I'm about to cry about this situation.... again :( What can I do? Please help! :( I felt the same when when we moved form the UK to Dubai, OICS has spaces and that is the Ontario Canadian curriculum, but it also depends on where you are going to stay.... as said before you will find a place for her Good Luck :):):cool:
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 09:18
You will find a school, don't panic. Have you looked up the US curriculum schools in Dubai and contacted them? There are quite a few, try which school advisor or google US schools dubai for a list.
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 08:37
Not sure where you would be looking to live but there are a number of new schools opening. Obviously it depends on what your budget is but there is a Kings' school in Nad Al Sheba, Nord Anglia and Hartland. Good luck and don't give up hope just yet.
Latest post on 10 May 2015 - 02:31
we are moving from paris to dubai end of june and I have applied my 10 year old daughter for so many schools only to be put on waitlist. I started with applying for the american curriculum schools because this what she is attending in her current school, but now I have also applied for IB and British system schools. I just need her in a good school now... Can it really be true that I can't get her in anywhere? I'm about to cry about this situation.... again :( What can I do? Please help! :(

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY