Can anyone recommend what to do in Los Angeles and San Francisco this summer? | ExpatWoman.com

Can anyone recommend what to do in Los Angeles and San Francisco this summer?

Latest post on 17 May 2015 - 12:59
So we have more or less decided how many nights we are spending where but I am now completely overwhelmed with trying g to sort the itinerary out! We are going for 17 nights in total. 5 nights LA, 5 nights Las Vegas and 5 nights in San Francsico. We will drive from LA to Vegas and back and also drive up to San Fran (Unfortunately we couldn’t get flights to SFO first) so are allowing 2 days for the drive from LA to SF. What to do????? We like nature but are also foodies and my kids like shopping too! Not sure if we will do theme parks as we did Orlando a couple of years ago.... Any suggestions with itinerary would be really great!!
Latest post on 14 May 2015 - 14:36
Thanks for all the posts so far! Yes we will drive from LA to Las Vegas and back. We will then drive to San Francisco on the coastal road. Really looking forward to it! If you are doing the drive up the coast, I think doing the sleepover at the Monterey Bay Aquarium would be a really cool thing to do - at least for your youngest. http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals-and-experiences/tours-and-adventures/sleepovers
Latest post on 14 May 2015 - 14:31
Hi we bought this little box from Verizon ( stores are normally in strip malls) it was $50.00 I think and you charge minutes on it to get internet anywhere. Sim cards are for sale in Target, Walmart, probably any big grocery store...its America everything is readily available. We used google map on the phone using the Verizon device and it took us literally everywhere it was great. If you have time Universal studios is good. But the five or six flags in Cali are fantastic fun especially if your kids like rides. Just google and it will show you a map of where they are so you can catch one as you drive down. Ghiradhelli square in San Fran is a lovely treat too, its always a must on my trips! I am jealous now.
Latest post on 14 May 2015 - 11:55
Thanks very much for the information. So where can we buy phone/SIM/internet device from? Would you also recommend doing Universal Studios?
Latest post on 13 May 2015 - 19:04
Hi for the rental cars, google car rental and remember they don't quote you with insurance...a $350.00 car rental turned into 700 with insurance. Use google for directions. We bought a Verizon internet device that you have to refill for the internet as we wanted to google when we were in the car, yes get a sim for calls or use skype. Also stop in Malibu if your kids like surfing, paradise beach cove restaurant is just off the highway...its famous and you may even see a movie star there. Santa Barbara wharf is on your way to LA too. Santa Monica is a quick stop as well....the list goes on!
Latest post on 13 May 2015 - 17:16
Seen lots of offers with Groupon for California for shows and tours. Do you think it is worth it? Should we also pick up a local SIM for calls home? Think it will be cheaper.... Also anyone know best, most cost effective place to hire a car in LA?
Latest post on 13 May 2015 - 16:49
We did this last year and loved it so much we are going again this summer. Five Flags is a great day out especially for the children. Helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon David Copperfield show at MGM was fantastic Baywatch beach there's a great restaurant on the beach but I cant remember the name. The Ivy, Beverly Hills for lunch The studio tours (amazing) worth the money to do a small group tour Holywood walk of fame Moonlight movies on the beach Dodgers stadium tour
Latest post on 13 May 2015 - 13:50
Thanks for all the posts so far! Yes we will drive from LA to Las Vegas and back. We will then drive to San Francisco on the coastal road. Really looking forward to it!
Latest post on 13 May 2015 - 12:37
Hi lucky you! We did this 2 yrs ago As above san fran is sorted, then when in LA a must is Disney land for 3 days, the grove/ the market same place. Hollywood blvd. It all depends on how many days. Have a wonderful trip.
Latest post on 13 May 2015 - 09:10
Definately in San Fran can suggest the usual things of cable cars, visiting Lombard St, the foreshore has so many things for young and old (plus some don't cost a thing even better), can hire bikes and ride over Golden Gate Bridge, there's an old fort under the bridge, pretty cool but it's a little off the track but not too far. Don't know if you're planning to drive to Vegas but a road trip down Highway One (the original coastal road) has fantastic places to stop along the way like Monterrey Bay (so nice). You can drive east thru Yosemite and Death Valley (highly recommend if you have time) Vegas, we didn't even scratch the surface there but I'm sure there is loads of things to do and see, some free things on the strip and walking thru hotels, now I wish I could go back! Hope some of my suggestions help have a great holiday bye:
Latest post on 13 May 2015 - 08:13
Definitely recommend the Alcatraz tour! Book very early because it gets sold out a month in advance sometimes. There's only one company that does it.
Latest post on 13 May 2015 - 08:03
Am going with DH and my 2 sons (17 and 10). Are there any things we must do or regret??? Would also like to stop off in Las Vegas for 3 nights. Any suggestions there?