Agencies that still bring Philippina maids? | ExpatWoman.com

Agencies that still bring Philippina maids?

Latest post on 18 May 2015 - 08:33

Good morning ladies,
Ive heard that there are some agencies in Dubai who still bring maids from Philippines legally
Can anyone recommend?
Thought of bringing a nanny before my delivery, not very pleased with the maids which has been working or living in Dubai already, too many demands and attitude.

Thank you

Latest post on 22 May 2015 - 20:12
Golden Sky - 02-677-6865
Latest post on 22 May 2015 - 17:05
While I understand the plight of domestic workers trying to get better deals and using the ban to do so, it really bothers me that most of them have started to be down right arrogant and demanding. For the record and according to the UAE Labor Law, private businesses (yes that includes all domestic workers as well) are required to give ONLY one day off. Government businesses may give their employees 2 days off. No maid can legally demand 2 days off. Maybe this is ok in their country (although I have been infomred that this is not the case), but not here. If a doctor/lawyer/accountant/pilot negotiates a good deal for themselves or accepts a better offer if several employers compete to employ them - do you call them "arrogant and demanding"? Many people would call this clever negotiating! Personally I cannot blame the maids for trying to get what they can . wouldn't we all do the same if we possessed some unique characteristic that was in demand just now. The problem is basic economic principles of supply and demand - if the supply declines such as in this case with the restrictions on new employees and the the demand remains constant then the price is going to go up - or can obtain other benefits such as extra days-off /holidays/ allowances etc. No maid can "legally" demand extra days off but they can attempt to negotiate them. It is up to employers to decide whether they wish to employ a certain nationality or look to a source of employees where supply if higher right now I personally think that its about principles and domestic staff trying to take advantage. When we hire the maid from the agency they sign a contract to follow certain rules according to the contract. Im not saying that all maids who work on theyre own are like that, but most of them get very greedy, and they speak among each other , pass on the demands. And yes there are always people who are desperately need help so they would agree to anything and hire them no matter what maids ask. If a maid had a proper degree to be a nanny i wouldn't mind paying her what she is asking for. But unfortunately that's not the case, some of them have no idea what they are doing. When my maid came first she had no idea how to change diapers even though she has 6 kids, doesn't mean that she knows its all just because she has kids on her own. Same goes for cleaning, im sure a lot of women would agree with me when i say that most of them don't even know how to clean properly. Even though my maids lived for couple of weeks in the training center before they got here, when they started cleaning in my house i wasn't happy with it at all, so i had to teach them everything. Which i honestly don't mind since they never did it before I can see that you need an agency, the maids already in Dubai doesn't fit your criteria. Would you consider trying an agency for full time maids like Howdra? I know some ladies that use agencies and they are generally happy, as if they don't like the girl the agency will replace them. I know Howdra is only supply house cleaners, but not nannies. And i would prefer the nanny to live in with me in the house full time. We are used to this sort of arrangement, so will be difficult to change that
Latest post on 21 May 2015 - 20:52
Why not engage the services of a qualified nanny then if money is of no object? I’m somewhat astounded at some of the responses on this thread, truly abysmal for 2015.
Latest post on 21 May 2015 - 17:22
While I understand the plight of domestic workers trying to get better deals and using the ban to do so, it really bothers me that most of them have started to be down right arrogant and demanding. For the record and according to the UAE Labor Law, private businesses (yes that includes all domestic workers as well) are required to give ONLY one day off. Government businesses may give their employees 2 days off. No maid can legally demand 2 days off. Maybe this is ok in their country (although I have been infomred that this is not the case), but not here. If a doctor/lawyer/accountant/pilot negotiates a good deal for themselves or accepts a better offer if several employers compete to employ them - do you call them "arrogant and demanding"? Many people would call this clever negotiating! Personally I cannot blame the maids for trying to get what they can . wouldn't we all do the same if we possessed some unique characteristic that was in demand just now. The problem is basic economic principles of supply and demand - if the supply declines such as in this case with the restrictions on new employees and the the demand remains constant then the price is going to go up - or can obtain other benefits such as extra days-off /holidays/ allowances etc. No maid can "legally" demand extra days off but they can attempt to negotiate them. It is up to employers to decide whether they wish to employ a certain nationality or look to a source of employees where supply if higher right now I personally think that its about principles and domestic staff trying to take advantage. When we hire the maid from the agency they sign a contract to follow certain rules according to the contract. Im not saying that all maids who work on theyre own are like that, but most of them get very greedy, and they speak among each other , pass on the demands. And yes there are always people who are desperately need help so they would agree to anything and hire them no matter what maids ask. If a maid had a proper degree to be a nanny i wouldn't mind paying her what she is asking for. But unfortunately that's not the case, some of them have no idea what they are doing. When my maid came first she had no idea how to change diapers even though she has 6 kids, doesn't mean that she knows its all just because she has kids on her own. Same goes for cleaning, im sure a lot of women would agree with me when i say that most of them don't even know how to clean properly. Even though my maids lived for couple of weeks in the training center before they got here, when they started cleaning in my house i wasn't happy with it at all, so i had to teach them everything. Which i honestly don't mind since they never did it before
Latest post on 19 May 2015 - 14:27
While I understand the plight of domestic workers trying to get better deals and using the ban to do so, it really bothers me that most of them have started to be down right arrogant and demanding. For the record and according to the UAE Labor Law, private businesses (yes that includes all domestic workers as well) are required to give ONLY one day off. Government businesses may give their employees 2 days off. No maid can legally demand 2 days off. Maybe this is ok in their country (although I have been infomred that this is not the case), but not here. If a doctor/lawyer/accountant/pilot negotiates a good deal for themselves or accepts a better offer if several employers compete to employ them - do you call them "arrogant and demanding"? Many people would call this clever negotiating! Personally I cannot blame the maids for trying to get what they can . wouldn't we all do the same if we possessed some unique characteristic that was in demand just now. The problem is basic economic principles of supply and demand - if the supply declines such as in this case with the restrictions on new employees and the the demand remains constant then the price is going to go up - or can obtain other benefits such as extra days-off /holidays/ allowances etc. No maid can "legally" demand extra days off but they can attempt to negotiate them. It is up to employers to decide whether they wish to employ a certain nationality or look to a source of employees where supply if higher right now
Latest post on 19 May 2015 - 09:59
I personally had rejections from maids in dubai just because im not British or Europian and i wouldn't give them 2 days off. I had demands starting the moment they walked into my house. Without listening first what i have to offer. Just because they've worked in dubai for couple of years doesnt mean that they have to demand and have an attitude like most of them do. I wont be able to handle the arrogance in my house because i have 4 other staff and they are not like that. Its hard to find decent, loyal and humble staff in dubai. While I understand the plight of domestic workers trying to get better deals and using the ban to do so, it really bothers me that most of them have started to be down right arrogant and demanding. For the record and according to the UAE Labor Law, private businesses (yes that includes all domestic workers as well) are required to give ONLY one day off. Government businesses may give their employees 2 days off. No maid can legally demand 2 days off. Maybe this is ok in their country (although I have been infomred that this is not the case), but not here.
Latest post on 19 May 2015 - 09:49
Sabrina, my reply wasn't direct towards you. You sincerely seems to a good employer. There was a big debate in 7days recently and some were being ridiculous. I sincerely hope you find someone. One way is community pages on FB, many maids seems to get passed on there when people are moving. Thank you, i hope so too. Will look into FB as well ;)
Latest post on 19 May 2015 - 09:46
The families I know that pay fair and generally treat their maids well, usually don't have trouble to find one. Of course 3 days off a week seems extreme, but maybe the salary is so low, so they think they can do it but for less days. And two spoilt children in some cases with cleaning etc can be a bit much. Some nationalities doesn't have a good reputation. We make choices before signing a contract as well and I would do exactly the same thing as those girls. And why do you think they are so lucky to already be here? You must be living the dream as well, as you are already here? They don't show up before signing a contract because they got a better offer elsewhere, shock horror I don't know anyone that would do that ? Im sorry but i do not agree with you on this. I personally know few families who pay well and treat they're maids well. Unfortunately alot of maids come to dubai for a different reason, hoping to find a better living, bf, husband. They only agree to come as a maid because for most of them thats the only way to get here. Some of them either run away when they have a chance or make sure they get fired so they can continue working part time or even look for another job. Im talking about the maids brought from the agency. And why isnt anyone speaking about how expensive it was to bring them here. This is how most of the domestic staff first came to work in dubai. Then they buy theyre visa and work on theyre own.
Latest post on 19 May 2015 - 09:33
Also, i must add, one of my maids came to work to dubai as a maid only because she is above 38 years and couldn't find a decent job back home to support her family. She is educated and didnt have any other choice. So i do agree when people say that its a golden ticket to come and work in Dubai. If you ask any Philipina they will actually tell you how they are struggling back home with low salary and cant pay for they're bills, and trust me none of them wants to go back. ( Atleast the ones who has a good and stable job here ). I personally had rejections from maids in dubai just because im not British or Europian and i wouldn't give them 2 days off. I had demands starting the moment they walked into my house. Without listening first what i have to offer. Just because they've worked in dubai for couple of years doesnt mean that they have to demand and have an attitude like most of them do. I wont be able to handle the arrogance in my house because i have 4 other staff and they are not like that. Its hard to find decent, loyal and humble staff in dubai.
Latest post on 19 May 2015 - 09:20
Dear Ladies, thank you for all the comments. Just to clarify, im not looking for cheap help. In fact, i do have two house maids currently at home, who we pay well and look after, i even look after they're kids back home by paying for they're school so they can save up from they're salaries. I hired two of them from the agency when it was still possible, and they are lovely loyal and helpful ladies. Since i had a better experience with the agency rather then hiring someone from Dubai i thought i would do the same, i've also heard that there are still few agencies who is legally bring them. Fortunately in Dubai it is possible to get help and also choose a nationality which suits you and your family. Everyone has a choice, there are few lucky families who get nice domestic staff and they stay with them for a long time. Yes its harder to hire new staff when you already have current. My maid wants to go back home because she is missing her 6 kids, and this is the reason why im looking for a new one. So lets not be judgmental here and speak about nationalities or cheap help
Latest post on 19 May 2015 - 09:13
I think Kitten summed it up nicely. I just find it sad when people looking for maids, attacks the maids for being demanding and having bad attitude, because they start to have some kind of minimum standards of how they wants to be treated. They still don't ask for nearly as much, as you would pay for someone doing their jobs in any European or western City. And no I don't think any Filipinas would cut off any body parts to come and work here (ok there might be exceptions, but then it's sheer desperation), so don't look at them as you are doing them a favour employing them for peanuts, as the people back home have less. I think you'll find that Dubai is considered the "golden ticket" for many Filipinas. And what you consider peanuts is actually a huge amount for most people in the Philippines. Perhaps you're a bit out of touch, Silvstet? Do you often hang out with Filipinas to get this kind of information? Well, yes. I guess I do.
Latest post on 18 May 2015 - 21:03
It irks me to be classified by nationality. I am Indian and my maids are not overworked or underpaid. In fact my current nanny is taking me for a nice LONG ride. But, that being said, I cant even call because of the nationality specifications. Hey Ho.... they miss out. Not only do I pay well.... I have a pretty relaxed home environment. Well good for your maid, I bet she will stay with you for the long term. I sincerely hope you aren't being sarcastic. Another couple of months and I am going to end up serving her breakfast in bed! I was serious about being taken for a nice LONG ride. That's why I am stressing about finding another, would have liked a PI but they don't seem to want to work in Indian households. :)
Latest post on 18 May 2015 - 20:20
Hi, this is a genuine question........do some ladies that do not work have maids? I am not judging just curious. Thanks x Yes they do. I know several ladies without kids who also have maids
Latest post on 18 May 2015 - 18:48
Hi, this is a genuine question........do some ladies that do not work have maids? I am not judging just curious. Thanks x
Latest post on 18 May 2015 - 15:26
I think Kitten summed it up nicely. I just find it sad when people looking for maids, attacks the maids for being demanding and having bad attitude, because they start to have some kind of minimum standards of how they wants to be treated. They still don't ask for nearly as much, as you would pay for someone doing their jobs in any European or western City. And no I don't think any Filipinas would cut off any body parts to come and work here (ok there might be exceptions, but then it's sheer desperation), so don't look at them as you are doing them a favour employing them for peanuts, as the people back home have less. I think you'll find that Dubai is considered the "golden ticket" for many Filipinas. And what you consider peanuts is actually a huge amount for most people in the Philippines. Perhaps you're a bit out of touch, Silvstet?
Latest post on 18 May 2015 - 11:34
I think it is a combination of factors........... The main thing now is supply and demand. The Philipina maids can now afford to be a bit more picky when finding an employer as there are fewer maids in the market now so if they prefer to find an employer who gives 2 days off, lives in a central locations or who doesn't have pets for example, then good luck to them. This is why some nice employers may have issues finding help. On the other hand there are still unfortunately a significant amount of people here who have a very old school attitude to help. They think they can pay a small salary of AED1000-2000 and expect someone on call 24 hrs a day 6 days a week. And that person is not supposed to have a life on their day off - no staying out late, social life, friends or shock horror! A boyfriend. These ladies here working from the Philipines and other countries are here to work and earn money for their families. If they try to do this under the fairest conditions they can find , I think that is very sensible and shows that they are smart and responsible. I would rather have the responsible "switched on" helper who negotiated a good deal for herself looking after my house any day. I believe if you treat people fairly and expect them to carry out their job professionally you can build up a good working relationship. They are not your family or your friend but these ladies (like many of us) are simply trying to build a better future and do their job and just because they have come from a poor country does not mean they should be treated with any less respect than any other colleague/employee.
Latest post on 18 May 2015 - 11:18
The families I know that pay fair and generally treat their maids well, usually don't have trouble to find one. Of course 3 days off a week seems extreme, but maybe the salary is so low, so they think they can do it but for less days. And two spoilt children in some cases with cleaning etc can be a bit much. Some nationalities doesn't have a good reputation. We make choices before signing a contract as well and I would do exactly the same thing as those girls. And why do you think they are so lucky to already be here? You must be living the dream as well, as you are already here? They don't show up before signing a contract because they got a better offer elsewhere, shock horror I don't know anyone that would do that ? The people I'm talking about having trouble finding someone are lovely, western moms that have well behaved kids. And I said I think they are lucky to be here because I know lots of women in the Philippines that would give their right arm (figuratively speaking) to be here.
Latest post on 18 May 2015 - 09:28
Good morning ladies, Ive heard that there are some agencies in Dubai who still bring maids from Philippines legally Can anyone recommend? Thought of bringing a nanny before my delivery, not very pleased with the maids which has been working or living in Dubai already, too many demands and attitude. Thank you I think the Philippines has banned maids coming to the UAE, as house maids, so that would involve agencies as well. Your post remind me about a letter in the 7days last week, how the maids dare ask for salary etc before even get called for an interview. There are good maids out there, but they are not slaves and they have finally got to a point where they don't have to work for the very minimum. Good luck to them! Silvstet, I know several families that are struggling to find helpers - often based on discrimination by the maids themselves. Married to an Arab? Don't want to work for you. More than two children? Sorry, too much work. Only one day off? Sorry, I need Thursday - Sunday. And then some say yes but don't show up on the day they are meant to start because they got a better offer. Good for them but don't judge the people that are fed up with trying to find someone who is lucky enough to already be here.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY