Flying pets as excess baggage | ExpatWoman.com

Flying pets as excess baggage

Latest post on 23 May 2015 - 21:29
Hi Chippy! Sanddy_Dogg is right. You can not take pets as excess baggage to UK. Our cat moved to Jeddah ;) just me left in Dubai waiting for my visa. ;) Good luck with the move!
Latest post on 23 May 2015 - 20:49
You can't take any animal into the UK as excess baggage. All animals must enter the UK as manifested cargo. As well as differing cargo rates charged by different airlines, the costs at the other end vary airport by airport too. LHR is the most expensive. LGW is quite a bit cheaper. Try to get a flight that arrives in the morning on a weekday. Clearance out of office hours, on weekends or on bank holidays can be around £500 from memory.
Latest post on 23 May 2015 - 18:11
Just wanted to check with JoanaC- where did your husband fly back to/ take the cat? We are taking our dog & cat back to the UK & was told by pet relocator that they can't go as excess baggage? Will probably be cheaper if we can do it this way. I was going to do it myself but think I am running out of time & just too scared of all the paperwork & protocal! Any advice?
Latest post on 21 May 2015 - 21:45
Thanks Joana. I didn't realise there was no vet to see. At least that makes it all very straight forward. So apart from the excess baggage fees there shouldn't be anything else to worry about. Yes our maid shouldn't take as much, but now she has bought all this stuff as gifts theres nothing much she can do. And thanks Sandy dog for explaining that the vets inspection is actually when you obtain the UAE certificate (or not, as in our case - we used an agent). Is all sounds nice and simple. Let's hope for a short and successful visit to the airport.
Latest post on 21 May 2015 - 21:11
The vet check is part of getting the export health certificate from the government vet at MoEW in Cargo Village. If you do it yourself you have to take the pet. If you get a relocator to do it then the pet doesn't need to go.
Latest post on 21 May 2015 - 21:05
Hi Victoria! Sorry for late reply. happy to help, i was confused initially and having this info would have been great. Our cat was not seen by any vet at check in time or when handed over to Emirates staff. technically the cat was seen by vet at time of issuance of health certificate and that is enough. Not sure what are the requirements from destination country. sounds like you are a far too nice person helping maid with fees for cat's papers. But OMG extra luggage with Emirates!!!! She should pay fot it or take less stuff back. Hope all goes ok at airport and you don't spend too much time there.
Latest post on 21 May 2015 - 11:49
Far too nice sometimes...or plain stupid! Maid now cant afford to pay for all her excess luggage...Sri Lankan airways seem to let them take any amount without paying. Why do they have to take quite so much back as presents when they dont have the luggage allowance for it?! Time for another post..
Latest post on 21 May 2015 - 07:13
Victoria, you're either a mango-slice serving patsy or an extremely nice person!!!
Latest post on 20 May 2015 - 21:42
Hi Joana, thanks so much for the very up-to-date and detailed explanation. Does the cat get to see a vet at any point? I don't suppose you really know as it may have happened after your husband said goodbye to kitty. That helps a lot to know what to expect. It could be a bit fraught at the airport as it will be the middle of the night and unfortunately (as I will then have no maid to look after her!) I will have to drag my daughter to the airport too! Here's hoping it goes smoothly as DD has to get to school in the morning! Yes it is good that she is taking the cat, though it has been an expensive and time consuming exercise for us!
Latest post on 19 May 2015 - 21:38
Hi Victoria, Our cat flew out of Dubai with my husband this Sunday and this is what happens: - you go to the check in counter as you would normally do. - The cat should have been previously booked on the flight by informing Emirates. They need at least 48 h notice to make the necessary arrangements on the flight. - They will check that the health certificate is in order, beware there are different requirements for different destinations. However Emirates system is not always updated. We were told 2 days before that the health certificate/ export permit needs to be certified by the embassy of country of destination as per their system, when in reality the agent confirmed it is not needed - once the cat is booked in and the box tagged just like a suitcase the counter staff will call a porter who will take you to pay excess luggage amount for the cat at normally 75 AED per kg - once payment is done the same porter will take you and the cat downstairs with a lift. there a policeman will check again papers. He might ask to take cat out and xray box. We were not asked at 5 am, I guess to early ;) - that is where you say bye bye to kitty and next time you will see kitty is at destination. Hope this helps. NB: you need to make sure the right paperwork is in place. Also the e-card they keep on going about over the phone is not needed. It was replaced by the 400 AED fee paid towards health/ export certificate Good luck to your maid and well done to her that she is not abandoning her cat.
Latest post on 19 May 2015 - 20:56
Our maid is flying her cat home on Emirates next week as excess baggage. Emirates wasn't able to tell me how ithe process works in practice at the airport. Has anyone done this and can tell me what happens when you get to the check in desk and subsequently? I would like to brief our maid so she knows what will happen and doesn't worry (her English is not great and she sometimes gets quite confused). All I know is that we have to pay x AED per kilo for the cat and crate as for any excess baggage. What I would like to know is what happens after this is paid. Does someone come and take the cat and documents from her? Or Will she have to take the cat somewhere to be checked?? The other question I have relates to the e-card we apparently need to pay the export charge. Is this still necessary and can we get this at any bank? Many thanks!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY