Any experts out there on Washington State? | ExpatWoman.com

Any experts out there on Washington State?

Latest post on 20 May 2015 - 10:00

Morning ladies

Am heading off to LA in 3 weeks with DH and DS (1yr) - spending a week in Santa Monica whilst DH at a conference.
We then have 10 days before we fly back from Seattle to Dubai.
Thinking of flying LAX to SEA and really fancy staying in self catering accommodation possibly Puget Sound / San Juan Islands....
I'm totally overwhelmed with everything I'm reading as I just don't know the areas. We want somewhere easily accessible, quiet, great scenery, woods, small town nearby for food shopping and eating out.
Looking for a cabin (I think)? but something high end and not too 'rustic'
If anyone can offer some guidance I'd really appreciate it - I'm panicking now as all of a sudden time is running out and we've known about this trip for ages?

Thanks in advance
X

Latest post on 22 May 2015 - 08:56
Hi deltaburka, yes, I'm really looking forward to it too. Where did you end up booking in the end?
Latest post on 22 May 2015 - 08:38
We are staying in the San Juan island for a few nights in July ... I spent a lot of time looking at holidaylettings, airbnb, and other holiday rental places. It is overwhelming! Most of the cabins and house for rent have a minimum 3-4 night stay, and I found they were set outside of the little towns. You'll need a rental car anyway, so probably not a problem to stay 10 minutes outside of the town! Sorry I can't give much advice on specific towns or areas, but Whidbey / San Juan are all lovely and I'm sure you guys will have a great time. It's a beautiful area.
Latest post on 21 May 2015 - 19:26
Thanks Rawla, have been looking at Whidbey Island on your recommendation and it looks great - nice to get some inside info from someone who's been there. Am so looking forward to being outside in June - will be great for our DS too who just loves trees, birds, boats.... Am spending the evening on Google doing some research into accommodation and can hopefully get something booked before DH gets back from a trip tomorrow night or else I might be in trouble as I said I'd arrange things....oooops.... Thanks again and hope you can get back there sometime!
Latest post on 20 May 2015 - 10:23
Not an expert but have visited Seattle and some islands in Puget Sound. Absolutely stunningly! We stayed at a hotel in Seattle and then took the ferries out to the islands on day trips. Our favorites were the Bloedel Reserve on Bainbridge Island and Langley on Whidbey Island, which is a bit like what you're looking for - quaint little town, with boutiques and good food, but also has amenities. There's an amazing place to stay just on the water, but I can't remember the name. There are probably loads of other places like that on the other islands. You will love it, it's such a beautiful part of the world and given the chance I would go back in a heartbeat. We were fortunate to have glorious sunny weather for the whole week, with nice cool temps of 20-25 degrees. Have a wonderful time!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY