Importing a pet cat with FIV+ | ExpatWoman.com

Importing a pet cat with FIV+

Latest post on 31 May 2015 - 23:19
FIV+ cats are not listed on the requirements. So, there is no problem. https://www.moveoneinc.com/country-profiles/uae/uae-pet-transport/
Latest post on 30 May 2015 - 10:13
RooLo - please take no notice of Dentro.... Please link up on FB with The Bin Kitty Collective and tag Linda Tedd - she is the number one guru on pet relocation around the world.
Latest post on 30 May 2015 - 04:30
So true NL. Years ago I had a woman go nuts when she heard one of her neighbours cats was FHIV. I worked with HIV patients in the early years and had all heck trying to explain the difference to her. She NEVER got it ! All the best with Barney's move RooLo.
Latest post on 30 May 2015 - 00:17
It would be extremely unfair if they allowed the import of FIV+ cats while they do not allow the import of HIV+ humans. If the residency visa medical test for otherwise very capable and lovely people turns out positive, they have 24 hours to leave the country. HIV treatment here is only available to emaratis. Why would FIV treatment be available then? And why would you want to potentially spread FIV by your cat amongst other cats here? The OP keeps her cat inside. FIV is found everywhere around the world, and in other members of the cat family (lions, tigers, cheetahs, etc). There is a lot of information on the Internet, which might be helpful for you to read. Barney is very lucky to have found such a caring family :) NL, HIV+ people also live all over the world, still immigration law bans them. Similarly, law bans FIV+ cats. You may like it or not, but law applies to loving families too. Most countries allow import of cats with FIV, and I believe that UAE is the same. However, the OP can confirm with a local pet relocation agency. I work with PLWHA so a debate on this apples and oranges issue is unnecessary, and does not add to the thread :)
Latest post on 29 May 2015 - 23:40
It would be extremely unfair if they allowed the import of FIV+ cats while they do not allow the import of HIV+ humans. If the residency visa medical test for otherwise very capable and lovely people turns out positive, they have 24 hours to leave the country. HIV treatment here is only available to emaratis. Why would FIV treatment be available then? And why would you want to potentially spread FIV by your cat amongst other cats here? The OP keeps her cat inside. FIV is found everywhere around the world, and in other members of the cat family (lions, tigers, cheetahs, etc). There is a lot of information on the Internet, which might be helpful for you to read. Barney is very lucky to have found such a caring family :) NL, HIV+ people also live all over the world, still immigration law bans them. Similarly, law bans FIV+ cats. You may like it or not, but law applies to loving families too.
Latest post on 29 May 2015 - 21:32
It would be extremely unfair if they allowed the import of FIV+ cats while they do not allow the import of HIV+ humans. If the residency visa medical test for otherwise very capable and lovely people turns out positive, they have 24 hours to leave the country. HIV treatment here is only available to emaratis. Why would FIV treatment be available then? And why would you want to potentially spread FIV by your cat amongst other cats here? The OP keeps her cat inside. FIV is found everywhere around the world, and in other members of the cat family (lions, tigers, cheetahs, etc). There is a lot of information on the Internet, which might be helpful for you to read. Barney is very lucky to have found such a caring family :)
Latest post on 29 May 2015 - 19:42
It would be extremely unfair if they allowed the import of FIV+ cats while they do not allow the import of HIV+ humans. If the residency visa medical test for otherwise very capable and lovely people turns out positive, they have 24 hours to leave the country. HIV treatment here is only available to emaratis. Why would FIV treatment be available then? And why would you want to potentially spread FIV by your cat amongst other cats here?
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 12:51
Hi NL, Thanks so much for your reply - I will definitely check out DKC, they sound great! So glad everything worked out well for you and Maus (great name). Thanks again! R :cat:
Latest post on 22 May 2015 - 23:35
Hi RL, Exciting move! Are you working with a pet relocation agency in the UK or one in the UAE? I don't have experience with a FIV+ cat but all of the myriad of questions - and believe me, there were hundreds to allay the anxieties about my beloved rescue puss travelling - were answered professionally, and with a lot of empathy for my nervousness, by the local agency I worked with. There are a few in Dubai who I believe all do good work. I went with Dubai Kennels and Cattery (DKC) and couldn't have been happier. More importantly, my beloved maus arrived safely and without any paperwork or airline issues as everything was well-prepared. I can (highly) recommend DKC although I'm sure other forum users could provide additional names. Perhaps you can drop them an email with your question? [url=http://www.dkc.ae'>link[/url'> Good luck with everything, especially Barney! Cheers, NL :cat:
Latest post on 20 May 2015 - 17:18
Hi, I am new to this forum and this is my first post, so please excuse any slip-ups! I am moving from London to Dubai in September with my husband and we are bringing our much-loved cat with us. We rescued Barney from a shelter in London where he was picked up as a stray and he is FIV+ (like HIV, means he has a suppressed immune system - sometimes called cat AIDS). This doesn't mean much in the UK other than we have to keep him indoors so he doesn't meet any other cats. My question is - has anyone experienced any trouble importing an FIV+ cat to Dubai? I have noticed that Dubai is pretty strict when it comes to animal import rules and containing the spread of viruses. We are using a pet agent to sort the paperwork and they have said it should be ok. I just can't find a definitive answer anywhere and we are worried we will have to leave him behind! :-s Thank you RooLo

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY