Maid vacation pay | ExpatWoman.com

Maid vacation pay

Latest post on 23 May 2015 - 10:21

Yet another question about our maids vacation!

What is the norm on pay when maids go for the month? Do we just pay their salary for the month or do we pay extra for some reason. Does it depend on the timing of their vacation?
Maid is going this week, so it's the end of the month already. She is asking for June's salary too because it is nearly the end of June when she gets back. I said no because I don't want to get fleeced (again) but just want to check what's normal.

Latest post on 23 May 2015 - 12:33
That's another idea, thanks Frazzled.
Latest post on 23 May 2015 - 12:13
I give my maid a salary advance because that's when she has the most expenses and then give her a reduced salary over several months until she's paid back the loan. She's been with us for several years now and is trustworthy, so I know she'll be coming back at the end of the vacation.
Latest post on 23 May 2015 - 10:34
That's what I said to her Mags, that we need to keep some back so that she has something to live on for the month when she returns. She said she'll save some but I don't see that happening!
Latest post on 23 May 2015 - 10:26
yes you would probably give her the June salary now then don't pay her anything when she comes back until end of July. it's not mandatory but they usually want the salary in advance for their holidays. often I only give half at my maids request so she has some cash waiting when she comes back. The only time you would pay extra is if she is not going on holiday and effectively cashing in her annual leave but as long as that suits you for her to miss her annual leave.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY