Recommend Iftar during Ramadan | ExpatWoman.com

Recommend Iftar during Ramadan

Latest post on 24 May 2015 - 10:04

Can someone please recommend an Iftar that is really good?
This is my first Ramadan here and Id like to try some.

Thanks

Latest post on 26 May 2015 - 23:42
Thank You so much for the recommendations. ill check them out And yes I'm a Muslim and will be fasting InshAllah :) I definitely think its too commercial and can never eat so much but I would just like to give it a try as (for once) it is my first Ramadan. [b'>Back home all the food leftovers are passed on to the food bank as they have an agreement with almost all hotels. Even at my wedding we did the same, food bank trucks come pickup the food just after the wedding. I hope they do the same here[/b'>. All the leftovers from the hotel buffets are tossed in the garbage regardless of whether the dish is untouched or not, This is because the Municipality health regulation prohibits any food that has been on open buffet for a maximum of four hours from being recycled. The competition between hotels to lay on the most lavish spread to be the best Iftar contributes to the enormous amount of waste generated by hotels and restaurants who cook way in excess of what is consumed nightly at open buffets. In fact food waste increases by 55% in Ramadan according to this report [url=http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/uneaten-food-makes-up-half-of-waste-in-dubais-landfills-each-day-during-ramadan'>link[/url'> This topic comes up every year. In recent years the media have reported showing photos of whole untouched legs of lamb and mountains of freshly cooked rice and other complete trays of food and unused loaves of bread in hotel trash bins. You would have thought it could at least have been used for animal feed rather than ending up in a landfill. Not wishing to discourage if you wish to try a hotel Iftar, but in answer to your hope for recycling of leftovers unfortunately the buffet leftovers will not be taken to food banks or the needy. http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/general/too-much-on-their-plate-such-a-waste-1.847040
Latest post on 26 May 2015 - 23:09
Well, the extremes are the expensive posh hotel iftars and the Muslim awareness cultural tourist Iftar. In between these two extremes, there are the real life iftars, the 45-75-90 aed buffets, that most Arabs do with their friends. You then usually stay over and have shisha and play cards for a few more hours with those friends. You can try the Arabic restaurants in garhoud, like al Hallab or the Jordanian place further down. Even in marina there are a few Egyptian places. Or on sheikh zayed road, Abu Ali for example. Sorry I cannot remember the names properly.
Latest post on 26 May 2015 - 08:32
For the ones who are fasting, all Iftar buffets are rip-offs . Simply because it's not possible to eat much right after almost 15 hours of not eating or drinking at all. What you really want to do is drink a lot which leaves little space for food. This is the reason we never really go for buffets on our own, but I had been invited to some like Lal Qila and BBQ Delight... The food is great.. Ambience is ok... A bit crowded on iftar... !
Latest post on 25 May 2015 - 18:05
It was just a foodie feast.. Which (lets face it) is one of the biggest attractions of iftar... all that fabulous food. What's the difference then between Iftar and every Friday brunch? Apart from the obvious no alcohol, I would never compare an Iftar to a Friday brunch. I am not a Muslim, but I treat an Iftar as something special and very different. Right, but Sharoniouz said she was just going for the fabulous food!
Latest post on 25 May 2015 - 17:57
It was just a foodie feast.. Which (lets face it) is one of the biggest attractions of iftar... all that fabulous food. What's the difference then between Iftar and every Friday brunch? Apart from the obvious no alcohol, I would never compare an Iftar to a Friday brunch. I am not a Muslim, but I treat an Iftar as something special and very different.
Latest post on 25 May 2015 - 17:47
It was just a foodie feast.. Which (lets face it) is one of the biggest attractions of iftar... all that fabulous food. What's the difference then between Iftar and every Friday brunch?
Latest post on 25 May 2015 - 17:44
Thank You so much for the recommendations. ill check them out And yes I'm a Muslim and will be fasting InshAllah :) I definitely think its too commercial and can never eat so much but I would just like to give it a try as (for once) it is my first Ramadan. Back home all the food leftovers are passed on to the food bank as they have an agreement with almost all hotels. Even at my wedding we did the same, food bank trucks come pickup the food just after the wedding. I hope they do the same here.
Latest post on 25 May 2015 - 14:01
http://www.expatwoman.com/restaurants/monthly_restaurants_ramadan_2013_11186.aspx -- Saw this on ExpatWomanFood, they have a list of Ramadan Iftars there.
Latest post on 25 May 2015 - 10:55
It was just a foodie feast.. Which (lets face it) is one of the biggest attractions of iftar... all that fabulous food.
Latest post on 25 May 2015 - 10:39
I've decided I won't do any of the commercial Iftars this year. I have done one at Burj al Arab, Mina a Salam and the Address all of which were lovely food but in my opinion a waste of money. There was nothing mentioned about the type of food we were consuming or the history/culture of the 'tradition.' It was just a foodie feast. The one at SMCCC was very different. We were given a huge amount of information about Islam and the tradional foods we were to consume. Everyone chatted together and we saw traditional rituals. The food was lovely. But it's a sit on the floor on cushions affair and eat from trays with plastic cutlery affair - not the fine dining experience of the Dubai hotels.
Latest post on 24 May 2015 - 10:15
Can someone please recommend an Iftar that is really good? This is my first Ramadan here and Id like to try some. Thanks I would definitely recommend the one at the SMCCU|Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding. Not only is the food lovely, but the discussions and everything else it entails makes it a perfect first Iftar.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY