London for 1 night in July | ExpatWoman.com

London for 1 night in July

Latest post on 24 May 2015 - 15:59

Hi everyone, after a bit of London advice please. DH and i are planning a 48hr stay in London as part of our summer UK trip. Neither of us are from there so we are totally in the dark. We will have no kids which will be a great treat and now just need to figure out where to stay to enjoy the sights, some great food and some us time!

Any tips regards areas and reasonably priced hotels will be great! :)

Latest post on 24 May 2015 - 18:28
If any of you are Michael Jackson fans the MJ Musical is fantastic.
Latest post on 24 May 2015 - 17:47
If you want to save money on the hotel why not stay somewhere a little out of London. I come from Hertfordshire and my home town of Hitchin is only 20 minutes by train from Kings Cross....... If I was in London for just one day I would definitely do the London Eye (but only on a clear day!), maybe the London Dungeons, Borough food market if it's on, possibly the Tower of London, or HMS Belfast, or Camden Market, a West End show, St. Paul's, Westminster Abbey....... Have a great time and be careful (keep your mobiles and wallets out of sight, and rucksacks in front of you). You will love it......x
Latest post on 24 May 2015 - 16:26
Thanks ladies!! I don't think we will go mad on the hotel as will barely see it given such a short stay! Love the ideas so far though!
Latest post on 24 May 2015 - 16:16
If you're going budget, the Premier Inn next to the London Eye is great value in a fab location. You can walk along the south bank from there or over Westminister Bridge towards Big Ben, Buck Palace etc. If you want to push the boat out then St Martin's Lane Hotel between Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square if great. Very modern, gorgeous bathrooms and the best ever espresso martini in the bar :)
Latest post on 24 May 2015 - 16:11
You will have an awesome time! Pack an umbrella just in case :-) London can be a very expensive place to visit but you can find some good mid-priced hotels in the Victoria area (look for good reviews - there are so many to choose from) and this area is very good for public transport links, too, as there is a railway station and underground, many buses to all areas of the city and a National Express coach station. Links to the airport come in and out of here, too. As you only have such a short amount of time, the double decker sightseeing bus might be an option for you as it will double as your transport around the city and will take you to all the main attractions and sights. For money saving tips, look online in advance at Time Out magazine for any free events or happenings in the city, restaurant reviews etc. The London Pass (search online for it) is a handy day pass which you can buy and it gives you free access (and no queuing) at various attractions in London which might, if you visit a couple of them, save you a lot of cash in the long run. Hard to give you specific things to do as there are just so many. Here are a few: Covent Garden market for craft stalls, al fresco eating, street entertainment, always lively and plenty of great places to eat and drink. National Portrait Gallery in Trafalgar Square takes in a major landmark and your culture fix in one go (walkable from Cov Gdn) St Pauls cathedral London Eye (big observation wheel on the Thames) go from there directly on Thames cruise boat down the river Thames sightseeing, all the way down to Greenwich or Tower of London. Nights out in trendy Soho - seeing the city by night is a must! Hope that gets you started!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY