What help is there for debt? | ExpatWoman.com

What help is there for debt?

Latest post on 27 May 2015 - 16:58

A friend became seriously ill when pregnant and had to stop working. At the same her husband lost his job.

To cut a long story short, they racked up debts and the bank has put a travel ban on her. My friend is dying. She's very ill and needs an operation. Her visa expired so she can't get treatment here.

The husband wants to send his wife and daughters back home to have the operation. With his family away, his costs will be reduced and he can gradually pay back everything they owe. He has a job now.

As things stand it will take him years to save 36,000 to get her travel ban lifted. And the figure increases every day because of the overstay fines. And the threats from the bank are getting harder and more frequent.

They've approached their consulate to ask for help but they just got a lecture on how it was their fault for racking up debts.

Are there any charities or funds or any organisation who can help her get home for an operation?

NOTE: I'm conscious this is a dodgy-looking first post from a new user. But I'm not asking anyone here to reach into their pockets. This family is kind-hearted and have fallen on hard times that they keep telling themselves is a test to get through. The husband has every intention of repaying his debts. I'm trying to help them by seeing if there's an organisation who will help her. I don't think there is but I have to ask.

Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 May 2015 - 16:42
Ziaza please drop me a line ASAP on username underscore dubai at yahoo dot com I will explain more when you get in touch InshaAllah
Latest post on 30 May 2015 - 13:36
The husband is Indian Muslim and she is Filipino converted to Islam. They've appealed to a consulate (don't know which one) where they got an unfriendly reception. He has tried getting a loan but there's some issue regarding the company he works for. They're not registered at the bank or something like that. I didn't really understand this when she was telling me, does anyone have an idea what she might have been referring to? A long time ago I heard about a women's group who helped women in distress. But I can't remember anything about it now and searches have yielded nothing. I don't suppose anyone has heard of it? I'm hoping to see my friend tomorrow and in amongst all the ideas you have all given here, I hope there is something they will be able to use.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 May 2015 - 12:16
Would your friend's husband be able to get a loan in a different bank with his current salary? And pay off your friend's debts so they can lift the travel ban? Would that allow her though to stay and receive treatment here? I can imagine this would be the worst time for them to be separated. I am so sorry they are going through this and that your friend is so ill. There must be somewhere they can appeal for help. May I ask what their nationality is? Some countries have special organizations that aim to help people in debt.
Latest post on 30 May 2015 - 09:54
Can your friend get someone to surrender their passport as surety so that she can leave the country? I know this has been done in the past under slightly similar circumstances - of course the guarantor will then not be able to leave the country. Dentro, I know of at least a half a dozen cases where people have been banned from travelling including a British woman who was involved in a court case (not a criminal case) just before the beginning of the summer vacation period. The court banned her from travelling and then promptly adjourned until September. I don't know either the OP or the others involved but it sounds legit to me given the laws on debt in this country.
Latest post on 30 May 2015 - 04:24
Thanks for the clarifications and explaining about my character. Wishing you good luck finding the secret money giving organization. You just clarified and explained it with this post..........
Latest post on 30 May 2015 - 00:02
Thanks for the clarifications and explaining about my character. Wishing you good luck finding the secret money giving organization. lol... really?
Latest post on 29 May 2015 - 23:57
Thanks for the clarifications and explaining about my character. Wishing you good luck finding the secret money giving organization.
Latest post on 29 May 2015 - 23:38
Dentro, just because you haven't heard of a travel ban, please don't assume they don't exist. Companies, banks and even normal individuals can apply to the courts for a travel ban on someone. The travel ban is always issued if the applicant can prove that the person owes them money. Banks do this as a matter of routine now having learnt from the crash when they lost millions from people running away. Companies are not legally obliged to offer visas or medical insurance for spouses. My friend and her husband are not of Western origin and I would urge you to step outside your direct experience and try to understand that the experience of someone holding a non-western passport differs greatly from a westerner's. It's a fact. My friend is essentially an illegal now. There is no process for her to transfer onto her husbands visa. Her only option is to pay her debt and the fines and leave. My friends husband took a 60% paycut in accepting his current job because time was running out and he needed money urgently. His monthly salary equals what I spend on my monthly take-outs and grape. And I don't even eat or drink that much. So from that together with my earlier statement that his company has a strict policy on staff advances following their other previous staff having defaulted on loans, its clear that door is closed. Sorry if I sound defensive. But I have asked for nothing on this thread. Just information. And for someone to say the story stinks just because they don't understand how life works for many people here is really upsetting. My friend has something wrong with her heart valves. She was controlling it with meds but it has deteriorated. I'm sure they weren't saints. They buried their heads and froze not knowing what to do when they should have tried to negotiate with the banks sooner. However, people are people and they have foibles, fears and hope all of which makes us do stupid things. If anyone reading this has never done anything stupid that led to some sort of tragic outcome, then you're "cleaner" than I am. They have tied and are continuing to try to talk to the bank but nobody is listening. Can you imagine how scared and helpless they feel right now? Sorry for the long post and I appreciate that anyone here has a right to doubt anyone else's post. But doubting and casting aspersions are an easy way out and most people are worthier of much more than resorting to this level of behaviour. Do some research on travel bans etc before you speak because everything you say reflects on your character.
Latest post on 29 May 2015 - 19:22
Is the bank now aware of their situation, it may be worth talking to the bank - agreeing a repayment plan. To allow the 'ban' to be lifted and for her to get the required medical care.
Latest post on 29 May 2015 - 19:14
I agree the only organization who can help is the husband's company. He must arrange her wife's visa first. Depending on the size of the company, it is likely that they have a corporate medical policy that disregards medical history and preexisting conditions, so after the visa, he should get the wife on his company's medical insurance. The company may not pay for it, but it is a relatively minor expense (2-5,000). The insurance may not pay for every treatment, but at least for some! Better than nothing! He should also talk to his line manager and the manager in charge, and persuade them to talk to hr/ senior management to let him take a special salary advance. With that special loan he can renegotiate with the bank and at least lift the wife's ban. He can also try to write to sheikh Mohammed's office, but only if the story is perfectly straight. I am not sure if he is really so helpless than you may think he is. I never heard of a travel ban. I heard of people not be able to return the UAE if they left behind unpaid debt, but do not know people (especially sick people) who were banned from traveling. And banks cannot just ban someone ( especially not someone who has no residency visa!!!), only court can. Have they had a court case, are they convicted? Is she in prison? Also, the bank cannot disclose picture of him. How did they get a picture of him at first place? Story stinks a bit, sorry....
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 21:14
ziaza, so sorry you friends are going through such a difficult time. If it were me I would be onto the press ASAP exposing the banks / creditors and her previous employer. The lack of morals and respect for a dying person must be exposed. If you can't get any local press interested maybe look at " broader " coverage..... My thoughts and prayers are with them at this sad and stressful time.
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 19:41
It's very sad to hear that she is dying - sorry to intrude but what sort of operation will help - maybe with some more information someone would be able to help directly. It's also sad to think that with her so ill she would be in one country and her DH in another. :(
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 17:45
Thanks for the replies everyone. His company doesn't lend large amounts of money to staff for any reason. In the past people went on vacation with a loan and never came back. So all advances have to be repaid in the next salary. He's receiving very threatening calls from the bank and the collections agency. He's tried negotiating with them but they're not listening. Apprently a family member might be able to get him some money in a couple of months but the bank is getting very heavy handed. Their collections agency has started emailing every email address on his company website with a full "notice of derogatory behaviour" that exposes the size of the debt and my friend and her husbands photo etc. I thought things like this were slander and not allowed in the UAE so i don't know how they're gettign awat with it. I'll mention the idea about trying to take on her debt so she can leave. I don't know if it's credit card or bounced cheque etc... The baby is only a few months old so they won't (can't?) send her back.
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 13:46
Most banks will negotiate with defaulters. Her husband can contact them and tell them he has a job now and would be willing to take over her debt in return for a lift on her travel ban. He will need to give them proof of employment and relationship. If he has a lumpsum all the better as then he can negotiate a 20-40% discount on the principle. Otherwise he will have to pay a monthly amount on the principle and interest etc. But get this all in writing as banks/collection agencies can be sharks
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 12:09
Firstly, put the wife on the husbands visa so she can get treatment here Secondly, who's name is the debt actually in? Is it credit cards in joint names? Personal loan? Overdraft? Can the husband take a loan from the company to pay off the debt and then the company deduct each month? The OP said that the Husband has lost his job so I doubt she can go on his visa Is the whole family on a travel ban She also said he has a job now. Glasses on now ( sorry)
Firstly, put the wife on the husbands visa so she can get treatment here Secondly, who's name is the debt actually in? Is it credit cards in joint names? Personal loan? Overdraft? Can the husband take a loan from the company to pay off the debt and then the company deduct each month? The OP said that the Husband has lost his job so I doubt she can go on his visa Is the whole family on a travel ban SL at the end of one para it says the husband has now found a job, perhaps he can get her on his visa
Firstly, put the wife on the husbands visa so she can get treatment here Secondly, who's name is the debt actually in? Is it credit cards in joint names? Personal loan? Overdraft? Can the husband take a loan from the company to pay off the debt and then the company deduct each month? The OP said that the Husband has lost his job so I doubt she can go on his visa Is the whole family on a travel ban She also said he has a job now.
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 12:07
Firstly, put the wife on the husbands visa so she can get treatment here Secondly, who's name is the debt actually in? Is it credit cards in joint names? Personal loan? Overdraft? Can the husband take a loan from the company to pay off the debt and then the company deduct each month? The OP said that the Husband has lost his job so I doubt she can go on his visa Is the whole family on a travel ban
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 12:02
Firstly, put the wife on the husbands visa so she can get treatment here Secondly, who's name is the debt actually in? Is it credit cards in joint names? Personal loan? Overdraft? Can the husband take a loan from the company to pay off the debt and then the company deduct each month?
Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 11:39
Depending on nationality some countries have groups that can help and advise. It's a very sad situation and you mention the wife was fired while on sick leave, can this be taken up with the MOL? Dubai Eye has a legal section that questions can be asked about such things and the National newspaper. The other thing is to see if they can send their children home to a family member to reduce costs here and negotiate with the Hospital. It may be also worth getting 7 days involved and other papers to draw attention to their predicament and see if someone can help. They can also set up a go funding or such type account, a paper can help them do that. Private needs to go out the window, they are in trouble and need help, they need to think of their children not their pride.
Latest post on 27 May 2015 - 17:09
They're a private couple but I will mention the newspaper idea to them. Perhaps they will have to take a deep breath and do it. Any other ideas appreciated.
Latest post on 27 May 2015 - 17:04
A friend became seriously ill when pregnant and had to stop working. At the same her husband lost his job. To cut a long story short, they racked up debts and the bank has put a travel ban on her. My friend is dying. She's very ill and needs an operation. Her visa expired so she can't get treatment here. The husband wants to send his wife and daughters back home to have the operation. With his family away, his costs will be reduced and he can gradually pay back everything they owe. He has a job now. As things stand it will take him years to save 36,000 to get her travel ban lifted. And the figure increases every day because of the overstay fines. And the threats from the bank are getting harder and more frequent. They've approached their consulate to ask for help but they just got a lecture on how it was their fault for racking up debts. Are there any charities or funds or any organisation who can help her get home for an operation? NOTE: I'm conscious this is a dodgy-looking first post from a new user. But I'm not asking anyone here to reach into their pockets. This family is kind-hearted and have fallen on hard times that they keep telling themselves is a test to get through. The husband has every intention of repaying his debts. I'm trying to help them by seeing if there's an organisation who will help her. I don't think there is but I have to ask. I don't know of any organisations that can help. Hopefully someone will come along and be able to give you some advice I do read of people writing to the newspapers and manage to get help from readers who want to donate There are stories every week in The Express about people who have fallen on hard times or cannot pay for hospital treatment etc Maybe they can help

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY