School transport more than an hour everyday, normal in Dubai? | ExpatWoman.com

School transport more than an hour everyday, normal in Dubai?

Latest post on 27 May 2015 - 18:54

Hi,

Can anyone tell me is it a normal thing in Dubai for a kid to spend an hour or more round trip to school everyday?
For a school in Academic City, would it be fine if I live in Oceana? (using school bus)

I appreciate your feedbacks as I'm about to make the final decision for housing.

Thanks

Latest post on 28 May 2015 - 05:21
I would say it is normal for the exact reasons stated above. When I was a kid I had to ride the bus and I know it at least felt like a long time. Last year it took my child one hour 45 minutes on the bus, although it was a 15 minute drive. She doesn't ride a bus anymore. I wouldn't put a three year old on a bus either, if I had to I would take them myself by public transport or taxi.
Latest post on 27 May 2015 - 23:20
Same concern:( Especially if it is a 3 years old kid as in my situation A 3 year old should not be on a school bus at all. Im surprised there are schools that allow this so young. Appletiser, yeah true.
Latest post on 27 May 2015 - 21:23
Same concern:( Especially if it is a 3 years old kid as in my situation A 3 year old should not be on a school bus at all. Im surprised there are schools that allow this so young.
Latest post on 27 May 2015 - 21:12
Same concern:( Especially if it is a 3 years old kid as in my situation
Latest post on 27 May 2015 - 19:05
it's not just the length of time on the bus, you also need to consider the roads the bus will use on that route. It's not just an hour but it's an hour on roads that are possibly unnecessary? I guess it depends on your situation and reasons for doing this trip but that is a long daily journey for a child if it is not a necessity.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 27 May 2015 - 19:00
An hour is nothing compared to the time some children spend on the bus. It really depends on what you think your child is able to cope with. Even if you're not that far away, a school bus has to drop many children off so distance isn't always the most important thing, however the further you live away the most likely you will be the first to be picked up and the last to be dropped off.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY