Moving to the big boy bed!!! | ExpatWoman.com

Moving to the big boy bed!!!

Latest post on 30 May 2015 - 18:38

Can't put it off much longer!! DS is 2yrs 9months old and the plan is to transition asap as no 2 arriving in 2months. Absolutely terrified! He's been in a sleeping bag til now - how do we prevent night wanders? I feel baby proofing suddenly needs to go to a whole new level? Any advise greatly appreciated

Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 19:24
poor guy seems scarred from last night - keeps saying no blanket only sleeping bag. I have managed to find a larger sized sleeping bag - but is that dangerous? issue with the AC is - we have closed off most of his vents - but can't do much else as its one control for all of upstairs - think i will look at those onsies and slowly introduce thinner blanket at same time...
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 16:05
i jinx myself- he got out of bed this morning but the gate stopped him from going any further :) we brought the cot bed duvet and pillow from ikea, its much smaller and thinner than a single duvet so less daunting for the little ones..
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 15:52
Thanks so much. This is really useful stuff to know!
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 14:13
Thanks for all your responses ladies - I tried the transition from sleeping bag to duvet whilst still in cot last night - disaster - every time we went in he was uncovered and cold ! He's woken up saying no blanket only sleeping bag! Think I need to find him either a onesie or those duvet grips - anyone have any idea where I can find either in dubai ? My children have all refused blankets of any kind when still in their cot but have happily had a duvet as soon as they moved to a bed. I have no idea why, I gave up trying to understand small children long ago ;) With the warm temperature this time of year could you put the air con on not so cool so your son will feel comfortable just in his normal pyjamas if he kicks the duvet/blanket off?
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 14:01
The GAP ones are quite thin so you easily wear them on top of pyjamas. The sizes are also quite generous and "roomy".
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 13:43
thanks for the advise ladies - i need to go find a onsies - are they the thick ones you put on top of pyjamas? hope i can find some large sizes!
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 10:46
Hi mols, I personally would not use a duvet, just onsies pajamas and a little blanket. I bought dd onsies from mamas n papas 3 in a pack they wash well.
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 09:00
I will be going through this shortly with DS too and worried, like you mols, about the night time wandering. DS often wakes up at night, plays with his soft toys in his cot and then goes back to sleep (thankfully, without the need for mummy & daddy during this little midnight adventure!). I like the suggestion to install a safety gate on his bedroom door, because he can easily open and unlock doors. As for the sleeping bag to duvet transition, DS absolutely hated sleeping bags so he sleeps in a onesie. GAP have some in bigger sizes. He tended to uncover himself initially, but now he loves to wrap himself up in his blanket. I use the Vandring one from IKEA which is just a plain quilt blanket and their Len pillow. Maybe give it a few more tries with the duvet. I think he'll like the freedom from the sleeping bag eventually ;) Good luck!
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 08:03
Thanks for all your responses ladies - I tried the transition from sleeping bag to duvet whilst still in cot last night - disaster - every time we went in he was uncovered and cold ! He's woken up saying no blanket only sleeping bag! Think I need to find him either a onesie or those duvet grips - anyone have any idea where I can find either in dubai ?
Latest post on 31 May 2015 - 16:00
Hi confusion, I have 2 flattish pillows both with her barbie friends on the pillow case! So its exciting for her to get in every time! My dd wears pjamas and uses a cotton receiving blanket to cover thats it, no quilt or blanket to smuther her and she is away from the ac vents so its perfect. Dd has been out of the sleeping bag for about 6 months now as she would get too hot with her feet restricted in the bag so pajamas it is. Hope that helps.
Latest post on 31 May 2015 - 15:21
I was so pleased to see this post as will be moving our little girl after the summer. We have a lovely king size bed in her room which she is already used to as she lies down there before bed and rolls around etc. However, I was/a worried if a big bed is ok for her.....also how do you manage the sleeping bag to duvet and pillow transition. Am I being paranoid worrying about her smothering herself?? Like any first time mum its all new to me and I want to do the right thing too. So any advice welcomed please. Thanks! Oh and so sorry for hi-jacking the thread!xx
Latest post on 31 May 2015 - 11:34
Mine will be 3 in August and I put her in a big bed three weeks ago. I did the same- IKEA trip, let her pick the bed and the cover, she loves it so much, calls it her "heart bed". She only got out twice, she's real comfy with the sides on and the comforter. She has her favorite toy and stuffed animal in with her. Seems like if they are really tired, they shouldn't be getting up. I put her bed in the exact same spot in the room as her crib, so everything else was already familiar.
Latest post on 31 May 2015 - 11:24
Hi Mols, We did this with our DS 2 months ago- he has just turned 3. We brought a bed from IKEA with the detachable side and he has never once got out of his bed... we made a big deal of big boy bed and new duvet etc.... For safety also we have put a baby gate on his actual door too... i was very nervous about moving him too but we have had no issues so far. good luck x
Latest post on 31 May 2015 - 10:37
Hi Mols, We just moved our dd to a big girl bed last month and it is sooooo nice! She is 19 months and slept with us until then as she needed a King bed to roam around in all night! I also have #2 arriving in 5 weeks...we went to ikea and she found a bed and loved it...it was a 160x 200 and she didnt want to get off it so we bought it and then we bought the Tomy sides from babyshop...tada we are free! And she goes to it every night of course with her animals and books. ( btw she was not interested to get in the little kid beds at ikea at all) Best of luck.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY