Whose bored of Dubai ? | ExpatWoman.com

Whose bored of Dubai ?

Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 17:37
YEs, I agree sometimes it gets boring but compared to countries I visited, I still love Dubai. Here everything is convenient, walk a few blocks and there is a small grocery to buy your stuff. When you are bored, you go for a movie, to a mall or to the grocery that is open up to 2am in the morning. I think safety is another big factor, here we can go out on wee hours and still feel very safe. The continuous development in the country is also amazing - I have never seen any country spend so much on infrastructure and making lives better. The only downside is the cost because things are getting expensive. I also learned to be more creative this time like bbq party or pool party in the house to save some money. My love liked it more and twice as much as fun:) When I get bored, I also bury myself into books - the inspirational books I got are keeping me positive and giving me a lot of boost to enjoy life to the fullest - Let me know if anyone wants to borrow and I will e happy to lend my books to you. Here are few of my book collections: How To Live A Life Of Miracles 40 Stories of Passion Don't Worry, Be Happy How To Conquer Your Goliaths How to Turn Thoughts Into Things You Can Make Your Life Beautiful Simplify and Live the Good life Simplify and Create Abundance 8 Habits of the Happy Millionaire How to Turn Your Passion into Profit Your Past Does Not Define Your Future Seven Steps To Real Freedom Singles & Relationships How To Find Your One True Love How to Build a Happy Family You Have The Power to Create Love How Your Words Can Change Your World 5 Things You Need to Do Before You Die Take Charge, Give All How to Be a Blessing Magnet Awaken the Healer in You How to do the Impossible God is Bigger Than Your Biggest Problems How to Deal with Difficult People How to Change Your life in 30 Days How to lose lots of hard earned cash reading lots of [strike'>pointless [/strike'>books that made someone very wealthy writing about how to live life and make money.
Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 17:36
hahahaha!!! Anyway, I think it's easy for us all to get fed up when the heat starts, the traffic is bad, people are grumpy, kids are tired at the end of term etc. It's actually a good time to start writing your lists for the Summer. Doing all those things you never have time to do during the Winter months in UAE as you are never home as there is so much on every weekend. Start filling in your children's scrapbooks, tidying up your cupboards, filling up your Ramadan bags to give away, sorting out toys and puzzles, getting school uniforms labelled and ready for next year - it doesn't sound exciting but it is nice to just take that rest and down-time. Before you know it, it will be September and we'll be back to rushing around, getting Halloween outfits organised etc. Make the most of your peace and quiet when school finishes. :) For one horrible moment I thought you were going to mention the C word there :quite:
Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 17:30
hahahaha!!! Anyway, I think it's easy for us all to get fed up when the heat starts, the traffic is bad, people are grumpy, kids are tired at the end of term etc. It's actually a good time to start writing your lists for the Summer. Doing all those things you never have time to do during the Winter months in UAE as you are never home as there is so much on every weekend. Start filling in your children's scrapbooks, tidying up your cupboards, filling up your Ramadan bags to give away, sorting out toys and puzzles, getting school uniforms labelled and ready for next year - it doesn't sound exciting but it is nice to just take that rest and down-time. Before you know it, it will be September and we'll be back to rushing around, getting Halloween outfits organised etc. Make the most of your peace and quiet when school finishes. :)
Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 17:24
Who’s bored of Dubai? :evil:
Latest post on 07 June 2015 - 16:29
I know what you mean... it is easy to get jaded here... think we all go through ups and downs and lot of people thinking about summer getaways right now and it's getting so hot... it's that time of year to get the blues. I've been here for years but still have my ups and downs with how I feel about living here.... I let myself wallow for a couple of days then snap myself out of it... we are so lucky to be living in this amazing safe place but we're allowed to get blue every now and again!
Latest post on 06 June 2015 - 20:34
Awesome reading list!
Latest post on 06 June 2015 - 17:06
YEs, I agree sometimes it gets boring but compared to countries I visited, I still love Dubai. Here everything is convenient, walk a few blocks and there is a small grocery to buy your stuff. When you are bored, you go for a movie, to a mall or to the grocery that is open up to 2am in the morning. I think safety is another big factor, here we can go out on wee hours and still feel very safe. The continuous development in the country is also amazing - I have never seen any country spend so much on infrastructure and making lives better. The only downside is the cost because things are getting expensive. I also learned to be more creative this time like bbq party or pool party in the house to save some money. My love liked it more and twice as much as fun:) When I get bored, I also bury myself into books - the inspirational books I got are keeping me positive and giving me a lot of boost to enjoy life to the fullest - Let me know if anyone wants to borrow and I will e happy to lend my books to you. Here are few of my book collections: How To Live A Life Of Miracles 40 Stories of Passion Don't Worry, Be Happy How To Conquer Your Goliaths How to Turn Thoughts Into Things You Can Make Your Life Beautiful Simplify and Live the Good life Simplify and Create Abundance 8 Habits of the Happy Millionaire How to Turn Your Passion into Profit Your Past Does Not Define Your Future Seven Steps To Real Freedom Singles & Relationships How To Find Your One True Love How to Build a Happy Family You Have The Power to Create Love How Your Words Can Change Your World 5 Things You Need to Do Before You Die Take Charge, Give All How to Be a Blessing Magnet Awaken the Healer in You How to do the Impossible God is Bigger Than Your Biggest Problems How to Deal with Difficult People How to Change Your life in 30 Days
Latest post on 03 June 2015 - 21:36
When we leave Dubai it will not be the fancy hotels or brunches that we'll remember. We do enjoy the nice places and there's no denying Dubai does hotels very well and there are many wonderful and expensive restaurants. What we will remember be the camping trips to the deserts, exploring the wadis of Oman, being able to walk to the beaches from our villa, the cheap local cafeterias tucked between the fastfood joints on the Beach Road, the warm weather between October and April, wonderful travel opportunities and of course, our great friends. I can understand the frustrations many people do have. The traffic does seem to be getting worse due to the renewed construction (and that friggin' canal that no one wants). Endless speculation on whether rents are going up or starting to decline. School fees going up every year. Being nickled and dimed in many new ways. The sheer inability of service people to say no, which always causes complications down the road because they don't follow through with what you're expecting them to do. And the city is busier and less "local" than it was eight years ago. Will I be sad to leave the UAE? Probably not because my family is first and foremost and wherever we are is where I am happy. Life is always what you make of it, there are people unhappy in London or New York or in the mountains of Colorado. Right now we're taking advantage of everything Dubai has to offer, both the high end and low end, and we break up our daily lives with regular trips to Bur Dubai, the beaches, the east coast, Oman and the desert and overseas. And I know even if we were transferred to the middle of Ohio or Kansas, we'd have the same attitude towards taking advantage of our new home to the fullest. But if you are genuinely unhappy, then move on. Life is too short to be miserable. I agree with this. Dubai still holds a lot of opportunity, it's not a perfect city but nowhere is. Most people have a goal they want to achieve from being there and just focus on that
Latest post on 03 June 2015 - 12:26
When we leave Dubai it will not be the fancy hotels or brunches that we'll remember. We do enjoy the nice places and there's no denying Dubai does hotels very well and there are many wonderful and expensive restaurants. What we will remember be the camping trips to the deserts, exploring the wadis of Oman, being able to walk to the beaches from our villa, the cheap local cafeterias tucked between the fastfood joints on the Beach Road, the warm weather between October and April, wonderful travel opportunities and of course, our great friends. I can understand the frustrations many people do have. The traffic does seem to be getting worse due to the renewed construction (and that friggin' canal that no one wants). Endless speculation on whether rents are going up or starting to decline. School fees going up every year. Being nickled and dimed in many new ways. The sheer inability of service people to say no, which always causes complications down the road because they don't follow through with what you're expecting them to do. And the city is busier and less "local" than it was eight years ago. Will I be sad to leave the UAE? Probably not because my family is first and foremost and wherever we are is where I am happy. Life is always what you make of it, there are people unhappy in London or New York or in the mountains of Colorado. Right now we're taking advantage of everything Dubai has to offer, both the high end and low end, and we break up our daily lives with regular trips to Bur Dubai, the beaches, the east coast, Oman and the desert and overseas. And I know even if we were transferred to the middle of Ohio or Kansas, we'd have the same attitude towards taking advantage of our new home to the fullest. But if you are genuinely unhappy, then move on. Life is too short to be miserable.
Latest post on 03 June 2015 - 10:13
And I have to say I've done all the cultural things here in Dubai over the last eight years and I find that by and large they don't measure up to some of the other places I've lived. Maybe if it's your first overseas posting then its exciting, but for me its usually more bother and less reward than I have found in other places. You really have done them all? There are new things coming up monthly. Of course not everything will measure up to other places we have been to, the world is a fantastic place and every country I have been to have something unique to offer, some of those places wouldn't be realistic for us to live in though. That's what holidays are for. We have been here for 10 years, my husband has been an expat in numerous countries. This is my fifth. Life is easy and safe and lots on offer, places nearby to travel to. We happily stay another 10 years here, never lived anywhere that has so much on offer on your doorstep then I haven't lived in places like New York, but a few European capitals. I don't think Dubai is the problem, I think the problem is yourself and it's time to pack up and leave. I agree with exactly what Silvstet said, "I don't think Dubai is the problem, I think the problem is yourself and it's time to pack up and leave."
Latest post on 03 June 2015 - 09:05
And I have to say I've done all the cultural things here in Dubai over the last eight years and I find that by and large they don't measure up to some of the other places I've lived. Maybe if it's your first overseas posting then its exciting, but for me its usually more bother and less reward than I have found in other places.
Latest post on 03 June 2015 - 09:03
Thanks for the Sharjah advices, I might finally brave it ? Wait until the weather is good, don't do it in summer, book a hop in 24 hrs bus ticket , it will take you to all those areas & you will not "feel" the traffic. There are 2 routes for the buses. You can use a ticket for both, one for new part of Sharjah (Majaz water front, Al Qasba, Sahara centre, Aquarium, etc) and the other route will take you to the old souq, museum etc. I wouldn't drive around Sharjah , I live there and I take a taxi when I go around as it's a killer to find a parking space everywhere. Sharjah is nice in winter. It is nice & friendly with loads of activities around Al Qasba & the water front. There are many nice reasonably priced food shops & sweet / chocolate shops there. We are never bored during winter, but now the weather is hot there isn't much to do other than going to the beach. As for getting bored, I am tired from seeing water looool , we live by the lagoon, when we drive my son to school we take the beach road, in winter it is nice, but now it is exhausting as it screams humidity. I need to see real natural greenery not only palm trees
Latest post on 03 June 2015 - 08:40
I can *definitely* relate with regards to the weather. Wow. What a hot one we have on hand today. That said, I don't think it's as humid as I felt it was, back in 08 when we first moved here, and we were DRIPPING from the heat ... I think one does get acclimatised. For me, really, it's just geography. Of course I miss so many things from 'back home', and yes, one day we'll go back and hopefully have a lovely life there ... but it is what it is. We're actually so blessed to be saving good money here for our retirement/future, and knowing that takes the sting out of the everyday pinpricks. Currently, I'm waiting on a dishwasher service guy (who was booked for 9-11am yesterday) and RE-booked for today at 8am (chance'd be a fine thing!) and it's at THESE TIMES I strongly suspect that the service providers in this little corner of the world are deliberately obtuse in terms of actual 'service' just to keep the 'wives' busy (even ones that work, like me, albeit part-time in my case). Grrrr! Yes, I just *love* waiting in for Aramex and non-showing air-con fixers and every other type of service one needs out here to survive! Ha ha ... sorry! Anyway ... I'm not sick of Dubai, but that's mainly because I know that we're building for our future. Not big brunch types -- we prefer having people over, when we do -- but we dip our toes into the UAE 'life' when time permits and have seen lots of great stuff on the other 'old' side of town, and in neighbouring emirates too ... And winter is fab out here. It's a good life, really, esp. when you know that you are working for something down the line. But we'll always be looking forward to That Day. That grand day when we can go home. This is home, for now, but it will never be a permanent home.
Latest post on 02 June 2015 - 22:21
For me, it's not so much the boredom, but the weather! For the first time in decades, I am well and truly fed up with the heat. I know that's not exactly Dubai's fault (it is where it is!), but it has me seriously thinking about moving on. I'm dreaming of four seasons and spending time outdoors with the kids. It just seems to get hotter and hotter every year, with less rain and shorter cooler months. We used to get so much more rain in the 90s, starting in November and until March. Once the carport roof in our building parking area collapsed under the weight of the rainwater! The traffic and cost of living here are also starting to grate. I remember the days when the Wafi residence was built and 3 bedroom apartments were going for Dhs 100,000 per year. We all thought that was an outrageous amount of money to pay on rent! Times have changed, the city has grown and great progress has been made. On reflection, however, for me personally, it's about the lifestyle and I can't say that I enjoy the stress that comes with living in a busy, traffic gridlocked city, with two small kids, where you spend most of your time cooped up indoors, usually in a shopping mall. Dubai has a lot to offer, no question, and it's the place I call home, but I wish more money and efforts were invested in lifestyle development rather than building malls, hotels, and the like.
Latest post on 02 June 2015 - 19:55
Can't any place be boring if you don't have much to do, or don't like where you are? Unless I have been truly stuck, I've never stayed anywhere I didn't like. I just move. I understand that is not an option for everyone, but it's important to try and make the best of it, too, or you'll just go crazy.
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 20:08
I think that unless we are 'locals', then none of us are actually living a 'real' life here.We have all arrived here because of different wishes or desires, and we are all here on a temporary basis lets not forget. So that gives us a very different view about life. It makes us feel as if we have more choices, and that can often I think make life harder.In fact we have to constantly make more choices here .Which school to choose for the children as they wont go to the allocated one, which hospital to use, which doctor to use, where to deliver, where to rent, whether to move rental paces, which is an easier thing to do than selling and buying as we would probably need to do back home,which continent to holiday on.........But lets not forget that we chose it,sometime we only have ourselves to blame, and its also about taking the rough with the smooth!!
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 17:11
try the Aquarium in Al Khan, and the museums in old Sharjah and suq al bahr. Yes it is too hot these days to be wandering around; the suqs are open until 11pm and you can walk around the corniche and the plantation in the evening. And you can drop in to the suq al markazi also. All the museums have all their timings in great detail on their websites. Regarding traffic, I would try to avoid coming to sharjah from dubai between 4pm and 7pm, and going to dubai from sharjah between 6.30am and 10am. Outside those times its really not that bad. Regarding feeling jaded with the hotel brunch life, wouldnt that be the same in any city if thats the lifestyle you chose? No one has to chose that lifestyle here. You can do other things. Anyone would feel jaded after a while because in the end flashy hotels and smart gatherings are exactly that, just flashy and smart, but they are not going to give you any meaning in life. So whoever makes that lifestyle their main reason for being here will in the end get fed up. In any city.
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 16:44
I dont live in dubai but I am sure there are parts that will make you feel less bored, like old Dubai, the creek and Bastakia area. I always try to see emirates here as having two types: one type is the shopping malls and hotels and perks etc, which I try to avoid at all costs; and the other type is the old emirates that keeps you normal: like the old suqs and museums and old shops and the fruit and vegetable market and shopping for spices in the Iranian market. I for one have explored these areas, as have most people I know. But in June... Brutal! I'm not sure op meant bored as in 'nothing to do' but I could be wrong... I agree all lovely in the cooler month. I heard lots of good things about museums in Sharjah though. It's on my to do list to explore some of them. Is the traffic always horrendous in to Sharjah though? Any times that are better than others? No, it's not.. It's great in the morning, weekdays. Shouldn't be too bad getting back into dubai in the afternoon either if you can do that. Their museums are worth the trip, in my opinion, definitely something different. I like the civilizations one, it actually has a ton of nice artifacts. my kid liked the one with the cars, and they all loved the wildlife center. Calligraphy and archaeology ones are also really nice.
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 16:31
I dont live in dubai but I am sure there are parts that will make you feel less bored, like old Dubai, the creek and Bastakia area. I always try to see emirates here as having two types: one type is the shopping malls and hotels and perks etc, which I try to avoid at all costs; and the other type is the old emirates that keeps you normal: like the old suqs and museums and old shops and the fruit and vegetable market and shopping for spices in the Iranian market. I for one have explored these areas, as have most people I know. But in June... Brutal! I'm not sure op meant bored as in 'nothing to do' but I could be wrong...
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 16:27
I am not bored. This is life. Life is not actually meant to be exciting. Possibly the saddest thing I've ever read on here..:cry:
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 13:19
I dont live in dubai but I am sure there are parts that will make you feel less bored, like old Dubai, the creek and Bastakia area. I always try to see emirates here as having two types: one type is the shopping malls and hotels and perks etc, which I try to avoid at all costs; and the other type is the old emirates that keeps you normal: like the old suqs and museums and old shops and the fruit and vegetable market and shopping for spices in the Iranian market.
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 11:53
Life is only boring if you make it boring. We are all responsible for our decisions and our happiness. I love the fact that it is sunny all the time (.... most of the time). Coming from the North of England this is a treat! Yes customer service can be rubbish and the driving standard is an absolute nightmare but Dubai has a lot to offer. Like many people I work 5 days a week and very rarely go out during the week, but I make the most of the weekends and enjoy the great outdoors when I can. I go back to the UK once a year and enjoy meeting with friends and family but I'm usually looking forward to returning here to get away from the wind, the rain and the grumbling residents of the UK !
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 10:04
I can tell you what I'm absolutely bored with - bored of getting angry with level of service deliveries - this is across all types of nationalities, background, education level, job ranks. Not being biased anywhere. Sometimes feel that there are groups of people who earn their salaries in Dubai but treat it as a holiday somehow. Would not expect certain type of service level if they were back in their own home country. So exhausting. Sigh...Go on, I'm sure you have your stories. Misery loves company. Haha... I'm bored of people turning up on my doorstep and wanting to know my details despite being unable to show me any ID. No, I'm not telling you my name and phone number unless you can prove who you are. A high -vis vest is not ID, go away. I agree with day to day life being boring sometimes but all in all I find life quite thrilling. It's the little things. Game of Thrones tonight, squeeeeeeeeee!
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 10:02
I can tell you what I'm absolutely bored with - bored of getting angry with level of service deliveries - this is across all types of nationalities, background, education level, job ranks. Not being biased anywhere. Sometimes feel that there are groups of people who earn their salaries in Dubai but treat it as a holiday somehow. Would not expect certain type of service level if they were back in their own home country. So exhausting. Sigh...Go on, I'm sure you have your stories. Misery loves company. Haha... It is frustrating and the standard of driving is making me crazy at the moment. SZR seems to be so bad during rush hour. We have managed to go back to the old days where there are accidents daily!
Latest post on 01 June 2015 - 08:17
Didn't mean to offend anyone, and I stated that was when I first came when I didn't know it was a 'thing'. Whether you're coming from Vegas or Leicester,or anywhere in between, I'm sure there is something that surprises everyone when they move to a new place.
Latest post on 31 May 2015 - 21:28
We are just thinking that USA is cheaper than it is out here .. A one bed is 1700 dollars which would comfortably get us a 3/4 bedroom house in North Carolina. So true. Wish you the best, would love to hear a real success story!
Latest post on 31 May 2015 - 21:23
So what if I've never eaten at a hotel before? Maybe I'm from some shanty town where hotels are used for "other" things!! Doesn't make me strange. And if I meet someone who tells me they've never "brunched", I wouldn't find them strange either. Potatoes, patatas! Ok is that why you found the eating in hotel disgusting? Well it explains it, just new to me. I don't think it's strange never to have brunched... See the point, it's new to you like eating in hotels was new to me once upon a time. I exaggerate a bit with the snarkyness but not to the extent it isn't true... it just wasn't a common thing I experienced before. We did have a bed and breakfast place though, which was known for having the best weekend breakfast in town.
Latest post on 31 May 2015 - 20:51
I am not bored. This is life. Life is not actually meant to be exciting.
Latest post on 31 May 2015 - 20:25
You've always got your online buddies Oopsie. :hug: Yeah right, until they get banned, reincarnate and I don't know who's who anymore :cry: But thanks for your hug :cool:
Latest post on 31 May 2015 - 19:52
So what if I've never eaten at a hotel before? Maybe I'm from some shanty town where hotels are used for "other" things!! Doesn't make me strange. And if I meet someone who tells me they've never "brunched", I wouldn't find them strange either. Potatoes, patatas!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY